Wrestling: Roderick Strong
(b. 1983) is an American Professional Wrestler
originally from Eau Claire, WI as Roderick Strong.
He debuted in the Florida independent scene in 2000, first making his name teaming with his "brother"
Sedrick in the Independent Professional Wrestling promotion. He went on to Ring of Honor
, where he would become the second Triple Crown Champion, holding the ROH World Heavyweight Championship
once, the ROH World Tag Team Championship
once with Austin Aries
and the ROH World Television Championship
. He has also competed for TNA
, Pro Wrestling Guerilla
, Dragon Gate
, Pro Wrestling NOAH
and many other independent promotions.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
- Badasses Wear Bandanas: Though Davey Richards would take exception to the notion Roderick Strong is a "badass"
- Body Guard Crush: His relationship with Jade Chung started with protecting her from her abusive stablemates in The Embassy. Then it moved onto dating.
- Bookends: He decided to help Tyler Black win the ROH World Championship and he also took it away when Black decided to take it to WWE.
- Breakup Breakout: He's gone from the Florida independent scene to success in ROH, while Sedrick remains in that same scene in relative obscurity.
- A rather weird case, as every member of Generation Next has seen a good deal of success after leaving the stable.
- Enemy Mine: With Austin Aries and Delirious, whom he was in the middle of blood feuds with at the time, to stop ROH World Champion Nigel McGuinness from running out of a title defense against Bryan Danielson
- Every Year They Fizzle Out - Before he won the World Title at Glory By Honor IX, Strong was 0-15 in ROH World Title matches
- Face-Heel Turn: In 2010 when he joined the House of Truth.
- Finishing Move: Sick Kick, Death by Roderick, Strong Hold, various backbreaker variations.
- Four Moves Of Doom: Double knee gutbuster, Sick Kick, half nelson backbreaker or Gibson Driver and the Strong Hold. Sometimes he switches the order of the gutbuster and backbreaker.
- Three Moves Of Doom: His shorter more recent combo consists of a knee lift to an incoming opponent, a roaring elbow and his suplex/Orange Crush backbreaker.
- For Your Own Good: Roderick Strong's reasoning for antagonizing Cedric Alexander was to make Cedric a better wrestler, or so he claimed, saying he was doing for him what Samoa Joe and Bryan Danielson did for him and the rest of Generation Next.
- Hostile Show Takeover: ROH Generation Next, May 22, 2004, started with them taking out the teams for the opening match, the Ring Crew Express (Dunn and Marcos), the Christopher Street Connection (Buff-E and MACE) and the Special K team of Izzy and Dixie, and generally making themselves as much the focus of attention as possible that night.
- Hypocrite: Him in decade attacking wrestlers for leaving ROH for larger promotions, despite having gone to TNA himself. Though to be fair, Roderick Strong's loyalty to Ring Of Honor is what got him kicked out of TNA.
- Line-of-Sight Name: Generation Next took their name from the Ring of Honor even they stormed.
- Made of Win: After winning the TV title from Jay Lethal at Showdown in the Sun Day 2, he became the second ROH Triple Crown Champion.
- Maniac Tongue: Showing his obsession with Kyle O'Reilly his quest to become PWG World Champion.
- Power Stable:
- (in IPW): Risk Factor
- (in ROH): Generation Next, the No Remorse Corps, the House of Truth, The Decade
- (in Dragon Gate): Blood Generation
- Defied by Samoa Joe who put an end to Christopher Daniels's Ministry before it really had a chance to being. Strong would have been a member though.
- Power Trio: The Dojo Bros in PWX, he Adam Cole and Eddie Edwards.
- Real Song Theme Tune:
- Strictly in ROH, he's used Pantera's "5 Minutes Alone" and Marilyn Manson's Cover of "Personal Jesus", the latter while teaming with Aries.
- He's used Korn's "Did My Time" in ROH, FIP and IWA Mid-South
- Misery Signals' "A Victim, A Target" in ROH, FIP, PWG and German Stampede Wrestling.
- Red Baron: "The Messiah of the Backbreaker."
- Schmuck Bait: Roderick swallowed it hook line and sinker. His match against Cedric Alexander may been billed as "The Battle Of The Backbreakers" but there was no rule about having to win with the move, the finish being Alexander's small package.
- So Last Season: Adds new finishers on what seems to be a yearly basis and tends to change his main finisher a lot (which makes a lot of sense from a kayfabe standpoint).
- Stronger Than They Look/Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Roddy is 5'10, but is incredibly lean and doesn't have a lot of size to him. That doesn't matter, he can still ragdoll guys around like they're nothing.
- Suplex Finisher: His Orange Crush backbreaker, The End of Heartache.
- Tag Team: The Strong Brothers
- The Cameo: On SHIMMER Hot Summer Nights (Volume 14) unless you were there live and early enough to see his Dark Match FIP title defense.
- The Resenter
- Towards Kevin Steen, who continued to be cheered despite repeatedly burying Ring Of Honor and helping S.C.U.M. in their efforts to destroy it.
- Toward Pro Wrestling Guerilla in general, when he realized they were using him to test new comers to the promotion and never had any interest in giving him a shot for the title.
- The Rival
- The American Wolves and The Briscoe Brothers in Ring Of Honor and Full Impact Pro have been on his case for a long time, also, his former protege Erick Stevens...
- As part of Generation Next, The Kings Of Wrestling. After Claudio Castagnoli and Chris Hero beat him and Austin Aries for the ROH Tag Team Championships, Matt Sydal won them back with Christopher Daniels (Daniels wasn't a member of the group, but still)
- Also, the Second City Saints after Generation Next targeted Ricky Steamboat, who until then had been in conflict with CM Punk.
- Generation Next chief rivals were Prince Nana's Embassy, at least after they booted Alex Shelley from the group and then beat him down despite Shelley's attempts to atone for his past transgressions, causing Shelley to join the Embassy against Generation Next.
- The Starscream: He, Aries and Jack Evans all ousted Alex Shelley from Generation Next for refusing to resign as leader.
- Third Movie Goes To Asia: He and Austin Aries took the ROH Tag Team Championships to Dragon Gate in Japan to make them the ROH World Tag Team Championships and hopefully upgrade them to main events status, which they did.
- Tournament Arc: He won ROH Survival of the Fittest 2005. He is the only wrestler to ever win PWG's Dynamite Duumvirate Tag Team Title Tournament with two different partners, winning it with PAC in 2007 and with Jack Evans in 2008.
- Turned Against Their Masters - He formed the No Remorse Corps after he and Davey Richards attacked Austin Aries.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: He and former Generation Next stablemate Austin Aries have gone back and forth between both teaming and feuding.
- We Used to Be Friends: AJ Styles was one of Generation Next's biggest allies, but then came The Decade and "Mr. TNA" was basically the living embodiment of everything they stood against before he went to New Japan and became the International Grand Prix Heavyweight Champion.
- Wrestling Psychology: He can tell a good story when paired with the right wrestler and especially if he's playing face, but he tends to wrestle the same way, whether he's a face or a heel and many of his matches degenerate into spotfests.