Webcomic: Shotgun Shuffle
(first comic here
) is a webcomic about the perpetually lazy Ellie Buckingham and her roommate, Quinn Nicks.
The comic starts with Ellie (third youngest of seven sisters) getting kicked out of her mom's house for being an unemployed bum who spends every second of every day on social media sites. After some mostly unsuccessful apartment searching, she finds out that an old acquaintance from high school, Quinn, is looking for a roommate. Except Quinn hates her. Ellie manages to worm her way into Quinn's apartment regardless, and quickly gets a job at a local WalMart-expy. When that job falls through due to insane managers, she gets another one at a restaurant that looks suspiciously like McDonald's. She nearly quits this one as well, until a blind customer convinces her to stay.
The comic follows Ellie's exploits in the workforce, Quinn's problems with school and her boyfriend, and the testy interactions between the two. Starts hitting its stride about when the blind customer is introduced. Updates Monday/Wednesday/Friday.
This series contains examples of the following tropes:
- A-Cup Angst: Quinn is either an A-cup or B-cup and is a bit sensitive about it. She is shown be very jealous of Ellie's assets.
- The Ace: Tarragon, who manages to do nearly everything perfectly.
Quinn: So how does one win four gold medals in one event? And also in the same year?
Tarragon: My other three rowers came down with severe food poisoning.
Quinn: That's absurd. There's no way the committee would still let you compete.
Tarragon: I can be very persuasive.
- Always Identical Twins: Subverted. Quinn is surprised to hear Ellie has a twin sister. Ellie quickly amends that they're fraternal.
- Always Someone Better: Tarragon, the second oldest sister, is unquestionably The Ace, being her parents' favorite, a quadruple Olympic gold medalist, and all around action hero. The only thing that scares her is Ginger, the oldest sister.
I really expected more from you, Tarra. Pumpagon: It's Pumpagon at the moment
Well, "Pumpagon" had better hope that $#!t wears off. Cause if I have to explain this to Mom, I'm kickin' your ass! Tarragon/Pumpkin:
- Beauty Mark: Ellie and her sisters all have a strange birthmark on both cheeks, unique to each girl. Ellie's are a pair of letter "N's," Juniper's are "S's," Ginger's are "T's," and so on. Apparently it sometimes skips a generation—their parents don't have any, but their grandfather has pi signs.
- Boyish Short Hair: Pumpkin.
- Blush Sticker: Tarra's family birthmark came out like this. No explanation why her birthmark projects off her face in traditional adorable Blush Sticker form, though.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Calling Ellie brilliant is probably a stretch, but she's definitely smarter than she acts.
Ashlii: I go to school with Pumpkin. She says you're the stupid one.
Ellie: Please remind Pumpkin that we all agreed I'm the LAZY one!
- Buxom Is Better: Subverted. While Ellie's large breasts gets her a lot of attention, she personally believes she's not as pretty as the more moderately endowed Quinn. Taken further, these strips imply that Ellie has little to no dating experience, as guys were too intimidated to ask her out.
- Brown Eyes: Juniper has these.
- Burger Fool: Her first day at O'Jacks, seemingly a parody of Mc Donald's, leaves Ellie crying in a bathroom stall.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: ANISE. She's Big Eater Perky Goth tattoo artist with a beard fetish and a habit of tattooing phone numbers, grocery lists, and random doodles on her hands because she couldn't find a pen. She's has a big crush on Santa and is know as The Santa Stripper for her habit of flashing Mall Santa.
- Colour Coded Characters: Quinn is almost always seen wearing some shade of purple or lavender (which is humorous considering she is constantly at odds with Ellie who's real name is Lavender.)
- Creepy Blue Eyes: Cinnamon has rather soulless blue eyes, and has been referred to as a 'dead-eyed troll'.
- Da Chief: Herb Buckingham is a police chief. Since he's been shown at work for only a single panel at the time of this writing, it's unknown how laid-back or how strict of a chief he is.
- The Ditz: Cinnamon, Ellie's twin. There's a reason she's referred to as "the dumb one." Her accomplishments include blaming Ellie for crimes that were obviously her own fault, insulting her parents while being allowed to live in their house for free, and claiming in complete seriousness that she's the only sister who's a twin. Her only success was finding a rich boyfriend (which she also managed to screw up somehow).
- Possibly Obfuscating Stupidity to some degree, especially considering her actions during the Black Friday arc where she released a swarm of ratchantulas on the mall.
- Eyepatch of Power: Hello Sister X
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: With seven sisters, there's something of a sliding scale between the two. Ginger is probably the most responsible, with Juniper or Cinnamon being the most foolish.
- Fusion Dance: Yes, this really happens. It appears Tarragon and Pumpkin are capable of merging their bodies into a Pumpagon.
- Gold Digger: Cinnamon, most likely. The only thing really mentioned about her boyfriend before he dumped her is that he was rich. Given Cinnamon's personality, it is quite likely she dated him for his money.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Quinn has disliked Ellie ever since fifth grade, when the latter showed up after summer with boobs. It didn't really turn to hate until Ellie stole Quinn's boyfriend (though that turned out to be a misunderstanding).
- Green Eyes: So far Quinn and Ginger have these.
- Grumpy Bear: Quinn is usually in a sour mood, as well as Tiredguy.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Ellie and Quinn show the beginning signs of this trope.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Sister X has this. Tarra and Anise border on this and Innocent Blue Eyes.
- Innocent Blue Eyes: Pumpkin and Ellie probably fit the 'innocent' part of these best, though they have several more sisters with the same eye color. Tarra and Anise also have blue eyes, not quite innocent but not quite icy either. Cinnamon's eyes are also blue, but most definitely Creepy Blue Eyes.
- Long-Lost Relative: Presumably Sister X.
- Massively Numbered Siblings: Ellie is fifth of seven children, all girls, and one of her sisters appears to be trying to replicate that feat with boys.
- Marshmallow Hell: Quinn got a face full of Ellie's considerable chest during their big fight.
- Missing Backblast: Kinda adverted. Sister X is introduced with a rocket launcher, and is shown to have fired from an open and elevated position with smoke trailing from both ends of the launcher. It may have been more intended as Rule of Cool than as an intentional aversion of this trope.
- Mistaken for Gay: Ellie is horrified when her oldest sister Ginger tells her on the phone that everybody assumed she and Quinn were a couple. Possibly subverted when the conversation is over, Ginger tells Juniper that she's just messing with Ellie's head.
- No Sense of Personal Space: One of the things that infuriates Quinn about Ellie. It's later pointed out that with a family of Ellie's size, you just sort of...don't understand concepts like why eating someone elses' ice cream is bad.
- Not Goodwith People: Quinn burns bridges with numerous characters such as Alex, KK, and her own mother.
- Perky Goth: Anise, with a side of Cloud Cuckoo Lander.
- Poor Communication Kills:
- In the present, Ellie fails to explain to Quinn what the latter's boyfriend is doing behind her back, leading Quinn to think Ellie is seducing him.
- In the past, Quinn hears "that blonde Buckingham chick" stole her boyfriend, and doesn't realize that Ellie has a sister that goes to the school (actually two, but the slutty one is dirty blonde).
- Running Gag: The ratches, a monstrous rat/roach hybrid born in the depths of the O'Jacks, appears to be poised to become this. They seem able to breed with anything, having added tarantula to their gene pool so far.
- Stalker with a Crush: Quinn's boyfriend, Alex, repeatedly pesters any of Quinn's roommates who stick around for too long, playing the victim card and trying to get in their pants. It has yet to work.
- It has also been noted that Mr. Stevens, AKA: The Blind Guy, also stalks Ellie a bit in a much less creepy fashion.
- A weirder example is Ellie's former teacher named Mr. Doogan who ended up breaking into her house and stealing her clothing. She runs into him during her early stint in Getmart still wearing ladies clothes. He did jail time for it though.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Referenced during the Mistaken for Gay incident mentioned above, Quinn tries on a very hot little dress in front of Ellie to which Ellie responds saying "Stupid sexy Quinn."
- Theme Naming: Ellie and her sisters are all named after foods, mostly spices. Her birth name is Lavender, but she had it legally changed to Ellie, to her parents' annoyance. Some of the main cast's last names are those of members of the group Fleetwood Mac.
- Will They or Won't They?: Ellie and Mr. Stevens (Blind Guy) and possibly even Ellie and Quinn.