Sayuri doesn't have to show us how it's done. Men will do that for her.
When a sexy female
enters the scene, expect all the males in the area to spring into action, trying to curry her favor by doing all kinds of little things for her, like getting her a drink, making sure she has a seat, or fetching anything she asks for, no matter how difficult it is to obtain.
Keep in mind, the people actually doing
this trope are the (generally male) service granters, and they are doing it entirely from what's left of their own free will that hasn't been turned to mush by lust. The recipient may be aware of the effect she has, and may use it to her advantage, in which case see I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!
. However, she might not have a clue
and may just see the guys as being nice. Someone who's lived their whole life this way may think it happens to everyone
May be done for The Tease
. Note that because Women Are Wiser
and All Men Are Perverts
, the people performing this trope are almost Always Male
, while the recipients are almost always female. In female-oriented works, however, particularly popular Bishonen are likely to have their own Instant Fan Club
of girls who display this sort of behavior.
This could lead to Pretty Freeloaders
. Compare Courtly Love
and Unwanted Harem
. Also compare and contrast with the Honey Trap
, when the effect is deliberately taken several steps further and used deliberately to gain a specific (and usually disastrous) favor.
Anime & Manga
- In a Pepsi One TV ad that spoofs Goldilocks, a locker room full of male athletes discovers a soda-stealing woman in the tub. She asks for a towel, and everyone volunteers.
- Hyacinth/Sayuri of Dokkoida?!. In one episode, when the gang went to a public pool, she was quickly surrounded by a gaggle of guys catering to her every need.
- In one episode of Seto no Hanayome, Lunar joins the same class Nagasumi and her rival Sun are in. She wants to prove herself to be more popular than Sun, and claims she forgot her books. Sun tries to offer her notebook, but a bunch of the male students throw theirs on top of her desk. Lunar starts to gloat a little, but then Sun does a similar thing, and gets even more books than Lunar did. This eventually devolves into a 3 way war at the school between Sun's faction, Lunar's faction, and a third faction involving all the girls, with Nagasumi caught in between all of it.
- In an uncommon male variation, Yuki is the unwilling recipient of this in Fruits Basket. The girls are usually more likely to offer favors than to do them without asking, though (probably because they are jockeying for position to be the closest in proximity to Yuki while he is present).
- Bleach: Rangiku Matsumoto tends to take advantage of this trope. It's cranked Up to Eleven to be Played for Laughs in the anime, however.
- In her very first appearance in 1940 Catwoman escaped thanks to this trope. She was onboard a yacht and stole a jewel before being captured by Batman... who then allowed her to escape (and 'accidentally' bumped into Robin to stop him interveneing to catch her.) While she wasn't a noticeably vile villainess there also weren't any additional sympathetic reason for letting her go either, just that Batman found her sexy.
- Spoofed in Bill Plympton's short Luv Race, with three athletes literally racing to do favors for a very attractive girl.
- Parodied in Scary Movie 2. As soon as the sultry Theo enters the mansion's dinner room and catches the attention of all the guys in the room, she demands that they give her a chair. The more plain Cindy gets thrown out of her own chair and Theo ends up with about four places to sit, including the quadriplegic giving her his own wheelchair.
- On Friends, Rachel gave Tag his job because he was attractive.
- WKRP in Cincinnati: old men give lots of stuff to Jennifer - fur coats and such. She doesn't ask for them and she doesn't "give" them anything in return, aside from some genuinely friendly company.
- On How I Met Your Mother, Robin finds that after she gets engaged to Barney male strangers are suddenly less willing to do her favors. This initially confuses her as she had thought that the men were simply being friendly.
- On The Wire, Judge Phelan nurses a torch for ASA Rhonda Pearlman, who uses this - on several occasions - to gain authorization for wiretaps, DNRs, and warrants for the Major Case Unit. Reaches it's apogee in the season 3 episode "Reformation", where she, in order to gain his approval for a very dubious wiretap, actually crosses her legs Catherine Tramell-style and gives him what is implied to be a view of her vagina.
- In Tokimeki Memorial, Mira Kagami's devoted fan club is full of boys doing this, and she fully exploits them as part of her Revenge Of The Nerd plan.
- In Persona 4, if you get good test scores, you become more popular among your classmates, and girls will leave gifts for you in your locker. You never find out who left them, but hey! Free items!
- In Chains Of Satinav, the fairy Nuri is incredibly cute. So much so that exploiting her aborable-ness is key to several puzzles, including one where you extort money out of a smitten knight by making her cry.
- In one episode of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Dr. Robotnik builds a robot named Breezy that looks like a sexy female hedgehog. His intent is that she will use this effect to send Sonic on various wild goose chases, distracting him from the doctor's real scheme.
- In the 2010 Pound Puppies episode "The General," the title character turns out to be a fluffy pink poodle named Dolly who has this effect on male dogs, and uses it to get various acts of puppy-rescuing done. When the tomboyish Cookie tries this in an attempt to feel more "feminine", it... doesn't work so well for her.
- Jenny in "Return of Raggedy Android" on My Life as a Teenage Robot gets offered many "frosty beverages" when she walks in wearing her human form skin.
- In the Beach Episode of Avatar: The Last Airbender , Ty Lee makes good use of this, being surrounded by beach-bums within seconds of her arrival. Minutes later, she's got two of them fanning her, one bringing her drinks, and another standing in just the right place to keep the sun off her face.
- Quinn has boys doing this all the time on Daria.
- Xiaolin Showdown: All of the boys fawn over Dyris, the mermaid, much to Kimiko's irritation...until Dyris shows Kimiko how it's done.
- Rarity on My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic asks two male neighbors to pull a coach containing herself and her five friends. From the looks of it, their reason to agree right away is her seductive charm.
- In another episode, she flirts with a nerdy-looking stallion, complimenting his non-existent muscles, all so he will willingly give Fluttershy the last asparagus.
- Minerva Mink from her shorts in Animaniacs often used her feminine charms to get men to do things she didn't feel like doing for her.