Yep, these guys are baaaad.note
Nothing says "villain" more than a pair of dark, high-arching eyebrows!
It doesn't matter if a villain is smiling, laughing, crying, or frowning, Evil Eyebrows will remain at a permanently high arch on his or her forehead, giving the character a constant expression of menace or disdain.
Evil Eyebrows are usually darker and curve higher than any other character's eyebrows. The level of thickness varies - if the hero has thick eyebrows, the villain usually has razor thin ones to counter this. But if the hero has thin eyebrows, the villain's will usually be thicker than the fuzziest of caterpillars
. Either way, they will still have the trademark "evil arch" that every bad guy seems to be born with.
Will sometimes have a scar
crossing through one of the eyebrows to emphasize the evil.
Usually related to Unusual Eyebrows
and Big Ol' Eyebrows
. Frequently paired with Excessive Evil Eyeshadow
- Vicious from Cowboy Bebop definitely has these.
- Hiruma of Eyeshield 21 probably has these on purpose, given how genre savvy he is.
- The Joker. Naturally.
- In Paul Murry's Mickey Mouse comics, you could always tell the bad guys by their eyebrows.
- Even if you knew nothing about Jack Nicholson before seeing The Shining, you'd still be able to guess what's going to happen to him just by looking at his eyebrows alone.
- Dr Evil from the Austin Powers series.
- Lord Vetinari from the Discworld books is able to terrify people just by raising his eyebrow.
- Snape from Harry Potter is often described as arching his eyebrows. He's played in the films, naturally enough, by the master of evil-eyebrow-raising, Alan Rickman. Subverted in that Snape turns out to be a good guy.
- But he's still a jerk.
- And a double agent, which puts him squarely into Anti-Hero position.
- Queen Etheldredda from Septimus Heap, to the point that she even uses them to express a face of permanent disapproval.
Newspaper and Web Comics
- Robbie Rotten from LazyTown has thick, arched eyebrows to emphasize that he is, in fact, the villain.
- Sylar from Heroes has very impressive and thick eyebrows that are more of the "low and menacing" variety. He is far from nice.
- Subverted with Mr. Spock. Though Dr. McCoy often lampshaded that his high eyebrows, pointed ears, and green-tinted complexion made him look satanic.
- Star Trek: Voyager. Homaged with Dr Chaotica, the Ming the Merciless expy in the holodeck program The Adventures of Captain Proton!
- Alan Rickman, as mentioned before.
- Actor Jack Nicholson is well known for his trademark Evil Eyebrows.
- Skandar Keynes has prominent, dark eyebrows, which make him look like he frowns a lot. It's combined with a Kubrick Stare when he smiles at the same time. Edmund Pevensie was especially described as a Perpetual Frowner, just because of this.
- Any picture of Leona Helmsley shows that she had Evil Eyebrows.
- The otherwise incredibly Moe David Archuleta has eyebrows like this.
- Marshal Oudinot was noted for having unusually high eyebrows. Although he was not particularly evil, he did have a tendency to kill horses that did not obey quickly enough - his facial expression apparently remaining the same all the way.