She's got it goin' on.
Stacy's mom has got it goin' on
She's all I want and I've waited for so long
Stacy, can't you see you're just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong but I'm in love with Stacy's mom
In media where the protagonists are somewhere between pre-teens and twenty-somethings, there's usually at least one character older than the other protagonists thrown in. This character is often the Team Mom
, The Obi-Wan
, etc. Sometimes, in addition to just being attractive and wise in general, an older character attracts the romantic attention of one or even most of the younger characters. Even the ones who don't have a crush will admit the character in question is one of the most attractive people that age they've seen.
In general, Stacy's Mom will not return the boy's affections
and may not even notice them
. However, upgrades
are not unheard of.
Also known as a MILF, or "Mom I'd Like to Fuck"
. However, men can also play the Stacy's Mom
role, as it is not unusual for adolescent girls to be attracted to older men. It's not as commonly portrayed in television
, though, because a relationship between a teenage girl and a man the same age as her father is seen as a bit creepy and he could be construed as a pedophile
This is a character who meets the following requirements:
- Another character, who is a same age friend as one of their own children, or young enough to be their biological child, has a crush on them, fantasizes about the older character, etc.
- Same-age peers of the character with the crush agree that the recipient of the crush is indeed "hot."
- The crush remains unrequited either permanently or for a significant period of time. If the two get together towards the beginning of the story, then that's Mrs. Robinson.
Note that it does not count
if the person with the crush is:
May overlap with Even the Girls Want Her
/ Even the Guys Want Him
, and Hollywood Homely
Compare Hot for Teacher
and Mrs. Robinson
in which the attraction is mutual. Compare Likes Older Women
, where a character deliberately pursues an older Love Interest
. Also compare Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have
. May result in a May-December Romance
. If the interest is mutual, it may result in I Banged Your Mom
Contrast Christmas Cake
, a Japanese trope where an older character struggles with relationships.
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- In "Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu", Weda, a 24 year old Jungle Princess Hard-Drinking Party Girl type with a 12 year old son is extremely popular among both the men and teenage boys. In episode 12, there's even a contest held over who gets to spend the day with her(with one of the contestants being her annoyed and overprotective son)!
- In Prince of Tennis, Kawamura's friends mistook him for someone who Likes Older Women when they saw him talking with Akutsu's mother, Yuuki. Kawamura is 14 and Yuuki is 33 at the time.
- Misato from Mazinger Z, cousin of secondary character Boss and copter pilot. She is in her early twenties and all male teens (including The Hero Kouji) other than her cousin are infatuated with her. She also showed up in one of the manga versions of Great Mazinger, and Tetsuya also felt attracted to her.
- Misato Katsuragi in Neon Genesis Evangelion definitely applies, considering she is Shinji and Asuka's legal guardian and how Kensuke and Touji react to the sight of her.
- Sanae from CLANNAD (just for Sunohara, but...just look◊)
- Kunio's mother in Great Teacher Onizuka.
- Kakyoin's reason for joining the heroes in the fight to save Jotaro's mom in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders basically boils down to having a big ol' crush on her.
- In Rosario + Vampire, the final reveals that Outer Moka was really a copy of Akasha Bloodriver, the mother of Moka. That means that Tsukune was in love in Moka's mother for the whole time. And the fact that she was in love with him, too, didn't make it better.
- In "Cobalt," a chapter of Christine Morgan's "The Guardians" spinoff of her Gargoyles fanfics, original character Amber, daughter of Elisa and Goliath, time-travels to 60-something years before the night the Gargs were petrified...and ends up making googly eyes at Young!Hudson, whom she considers a grandfather in the present. She even catches herself and tries to stop...but then he flexes a bicep.
- Rare gay example in this Glee AU. Blaine is Sugar's dad, and Kurt and Sugar are friends. All of Sugar's friends, including Kurt, agree that her dad is really cute, and eventually Kurt and Blaine start a relationship. This is actually a borderline case, however; since Sugar was born when Blaine was still in high school and Kurt is several years older than Sugar, the age difference between Blaine and Kurt is only about fourteen years.
- Simon Birch: The titular character remarks to Joe that his mother has "The best breasts out of all of the mothers."
- Despite being great for a page quote, Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure doesn't fit the age difference requirement: both Bill and Ted have trouble keeping their eyes off Bill's hot stepmother Missy, but she was a senior at San Dimas High School while they were both freshmen, and is only 3 years older than they are.
Ted: Hey, remember when I asked her to the prom?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
- In Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Missy has divorced Bill's dad and married Ted's, causing Ted the same problem. After remarking on this, the girls teasingly remark "Maybe she'll marry you" and Bill follows up with "Yeah, then you can be your own stepdad!"
- Stifler's Mom from American Pie.
- Kevin Spacey in American Beauty from the perspective of Mena Suvari's character.
- Indiana Jones:
- Indy is constantly finding himself the target of his students' flirtations.
- In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade his father has an affair with Dr. Elsa Schneider, who is younger than Indy.
Indy: You're old enough to be her—her grandfather!
Henry: (Shrugs) I'm as human as the next man.
Indy: I was the next man.
- Hoshino's mother in All About Lily Chou-Chou. When the teenage protagonists discuss her and the fact that she's old enough to be their friend's mother, their consensus is the immortal line, "Who cares, pretty is pretty."
- Dorothy from Summer of '42.
- Subverted in 17 Again, as the main character is actually the husband of the Stacy's Mom, and only looks like he's a teenager.
- The English teacher in Kick-Ass.There's the Reality Subtext - Aaron Johnson, 19, is expecting a child with his 43-year-old fiancee (and former director) Sam Taylor Wood. pic
- The 1980s film Perfect Lessions involved a relationship between a high school teenager and a 30-ish woman.
- Gender Flip in a movie called something along the lines of "Thirteen," which mostly describes the lives of 13 year old kids. The only girl there falls in love with an adult man, which casually rejects her as is "customary." The movie takes a level in creepy when the girl dresses up... erotically and prepares a candle-light dinner for him. While rejecting this too (and if not mistaken, getting caught in that situation by her mom, who casually attributes the scene to the girl's hormones), the weirdness factor rises with the man's own peculiarities.
- Class is a 1983 romantic comedy about a prep school student who has an affair with his dorm mate's mother. Said mother is played by Jacqueline Bisset.
- The 90's comedy Blank Check has a thirteen year old protagonist who is in love with a female, adult bankernote . He even sets up a romantic dinner with her. At the end of the movie, he asks her to wait for him until he's 16. She laughs it off as a crush but then the Squick-factor sets in when she negotiates that she will wait until he's 18... and then she kisses him on the lips.
- In Superbad, Seth is attracted to Evan's mother.
- The Graduate is easily a candidate for this one, given the memetic line that sprang forth from it.
- Much discussion about Rabbit's mom in 8 Mile. Played by Kim Basinger.
- The sequel to Peter Pan could qualify. It's unknown how Peter feels towards Wendy, even after she grew up and got married, but it's apparent that he still cares about her.
- The hero of Enter the Void and the mother of his friend Victor have an affair. When Victor finds out, the movie takes a bad turn.
- ''A Prayer for Owen Meany: The titular character remarks that Johnny's mother has "The best breasts out of all of the mothers."
- In Infinite Jest, the attractiveness of Hal's mother and headmaster of the Enfield Tennis Academy, Avril Incandenza, is frequently mentioned, along with her truly enormous number of affairs. She even hooks up with one of the students, prompting the soon-widely-disseminated joke stating that their relationship "proves 17 can go into 56 more than 3.294 times."
- Biff spends a good amount of time making passes at Joshua's mom in Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal — That would be Mary, the mother of Christ to those not in the know.
- The Star Wars Expanded Universe, being what it is, invokes this a lot:
- Woody Allen wrote a story where the main character falls for his girlfriend's mother. (Ironically, his girlfriend had warned him about her sister, who he was indifferent to.) He ends up spending so much time with her that his girlfriend gets turned off, since he's almost like a brother. When he gets married to her mom, though, she finds him attractive again and jumps him at the ceremony.
- In the Doctor Who Eighth Doctor Adventures book Father Time, the Doctor's adopted daughter (actually implied to be his Kid from the Future, but you'd probably guess that based on the repeated references to the fact she's basically a younger, blond, female copy of him) has a friend who squicks her with constant comments about the Doctor being "gorgeous" and "hunky". The fact he's wealthy and brings them homemade lemonade probably doesn't hurt.
- Joe lusts after his friend Sammy's mother Lucy throughout his teenage years in The Book of Joe. They sleep together when he returns to town as a adult.
- Steve calls Park's mom hot in Eleanor And Park, much to his disgust.
Live Action TV
- Marissa and Kaitlins mom Julie Cooper in The O.C.. It is mentioned that she was always considered the hottest mom, she has an affair with Luke (her daughters ex-boyfriend) and although Seth doesn't agree with Luke sleeping with his exes mother he understands because its Julie Cooper
- In Grounded For Life, Lily (the Bratty Teenage Daughter) complains in one episode about how all the boys in her neighborhood are more attracted to Claudia (her mom) than her.
- On My Two Dads, the daughter's best friend had a crush on one of the dads — who was flattered, until she got a little too serious about it, at which point he became very squicked by it.
- On Just Shoot Me!, this happens to Nina. A Jewish boy tries to bed her during his bar mitzvah reception, and since she believes him to be dying, she agrees to give him a kiss. He tries to take it too far, and they share their frustrations on their respective ages. After the boy leaves the room, several more boys stand in the opened door, asking if she's "the lady that kisses boys".
- Used as a throwaway gag in Big Wolf on Campus.
Merton: I know we've never talked about this before, but your mom's kinda—
Tommy: The next word that comes out of your mouth had better be talented.
- In an episode of The Wonder Years, Paul Pfeiffer developed a crush on Kevin's mom. It was resolved by the end of the episode and never mentioned again.
- In a Law & Order: SVU episode, there's a rather Squicky use of this trope (although, considering the show, no one should be surprised). A school-going boy has a stepmother who is considered extremely hot and is very popular with the local boys... Then his father is murdered, and both boy and stepmother are suspects. Their solution? Stepmother and stepson get married so neither has to speak against the other in court. The detectives first figure it out when they interrupt the two of them while they're having sex on their honeymoon.
- On That '70s Show, Kelso and Fez fell prostrate and worshipped Eric when they mistakenly believed he'd shagged Donna Pinciotti's mother Midge, a woman about whom the boys have fantasized, made lewd comments, and even spied on. Eric's mother Kitty has gotten her fair share of attention as well. There was also Jackie's mom, Pam, played by Brooke Shields.
- On The Inbetweeners, it's a Running Gag in the series that Will's mum is a MILF, much to his chagrin.
- Cougar Town, obviously. The protagonist is Courtney Cox after all.
- In the Wayne's World sketches on Saturday Night Live, Wayne was hot for Garth's mom, played by Candice Bergen. This creeped Garth out to no end.
- Glee provides several examples:
- The most obvious is Rachel's crush on Will Schuster.
- Judging from a recent interview with Jane Lynch Puck and Sue may also qualify, although this would venture into Mrs. Robinson territory.
- This trope is subverted when Puck crushes on Shelby, as she's the adoptive mother of his biological daughter.What's even more amusing about this is the fact that Mark Salling and Idina Menzel really aren't that distant in age in real life.
- In Malcolm in the Middle, a girl Reese liked turned out to not be interested him and instead had a lesbian crush on Lois. Video.
- It's been said on Leave It to Beaver that June Cleaver was this for Eddie Haskell.
- Friends has Monica, in her late 20s, in a relationship with Richard, who's 21 years her senior. And a good friend of her dad.
- Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place has various men lusting after Berg's mother (Bo Derek), including his best friend Pete, who eventually hooks up with her.
- Frasier's son Frederick Crane had a notable crush on Daphne in the middle seasons of Frasier. Leads to a Crowning Moment of Funny when Freddy visits for the first time after Daphne and Niles get together:
Niles: So you're okay with it now?
Frederick: Please! I liked her when I was a little kid. I'm over it now. Plus, she's like a hundred.
Niles: She most certainly is not. It just burns you up that I got her fió
- Teen Wolf: Scott's mother sometimes gets this treatment. She's single, snarky, and played by Melissa Ponzio, what did you expect?
Peter: (to Isaac, about Scott) Have you seen his mom? She's gorgeous.
Scott and Derek: Shut up!
- In The Sentinel there is some major flirtatious subtext between Jim Ellison and Naomi Sandburg, his best friend's mother (who really doesn't look old enough to have a son pushing 30, even though the actress has a son a year older than the actor playing said 'pushing 30'.)
- ER's Sam Taggart gave birth in her teens, and at least one of her son Alex's friends has a crush on her. He's also apparently told them she's his older sister.
- In Modern Family, Haley's boyfriend Dylan also has a crush on Hayley's mother Claire. Being a bit of a dimwit, he admits this to her face after mistaking her for coming on to him. He's also apparently fantasized about having sex with both of them at once.
- In one episode of How I Met Your Mother, a series which generally avoids swearing, Lovable Sex Maniac Barney refers to these as "MILSWANCAs", which Ted correctly guesses means "Mothers I'd Like To Sleep With And Never Call Again."
- Stacy's Mom by Fountains Of Wayne is, of course, the Trope Namer. In the music video, as seen in the picture above, she was played by Rachel Hunter.
- And it should be noted that, according to the author of the song, the inspiration came from one of his childhood friends thinking his grandmother was hot.
- Hedley's song "Don't Talk To Strangers" is all about this trope.
- Full on Kevin's Mom by Soundgarden in 1990 pre-dates "Stacy's Mom" and is about someone who went beyond the fantasy. Chris Cornell said that the song was about "a friend of mine who slept with another friend of mine's mom. The guy who did it said to us, 'Yeah, full on Kevin's mom'.
- What I Go To School For by Busted is about teenage boys lusting after a hot teacher called Miss McKenzie. The teacher is said to be 33 years old. The song was inspired by band member Matt Willis's dance teacher.
- In Disgaea, it's strongly implied that Etna had romantic feelings for Laharl's very charismatic father.
- In Elite Beat Agents in the weathergirl scenario, a mother is trying to make a sunny day for her and her son to have a picnic. When she achieves that, a random kid says to the son "Your Mom is pretty cute".
- In Mass Effect 2, Shepard can express an attraction to Samara, a thousand-year-old asari Justicar who has three adult children; Samara admits interest but gently rebuffs Shepard nonetheless. In the Citadel DLC for the third game, the pair can finally act on those feelings.
- In the first Mega Man Battle Network, Harukanote decides to dress up for a party at SciLab, her husbands place of work. One of the scientist NPCs will mention that he finds her "my kind of woman"... until he realizes he's talking to her son.
- In one of the Mega Man Star Force games, an NPC local to Echo Ridge will mention to Geo that the woman in a certain house is gorgeous. And then he realizes that the woman is Geo's mom, Hope. (For bonus points, the NPC is named Axe Tagrind).
- Tales of Symphonia has Lloyd admitting his crush on Genis' older sister and mother figure, Raine. Depending on Relationship Values, she can come pretty damn close to reciprocating, but decides against it.
- In Better Days, one arc centers around Lucy Black dating a star athlete a year or two older than her, until it turns out that he's just using her in an attempt to get closer to her outrageously attractive mom, Sheila. Neither mother, nor daughter is happy to learn this.
- In Charlie Horse, Calvin comments (somewhat frequently, and well-deservedly) on the hotness of Preston's mom. (Come to think of it, his name may very well be a reference to Bill & Tedd.) Somewhat justified in that Preston was the result of a teen pregnancy, so she's still pretty young, plus she works at Hooters and rarely bothers to change out of her tight T-shirt when home.
Calvin: C'mon, there'll be girls there! You don't want to end up taking your mom to the prom, do you?
Calvin: ...of course, given your mom's hotness, that might not be a bad thing.
Preston: Stop imagi-fondling my mom!!!
- In Sexy Losers, Kenta's discomfort over his Horny Mom is exacerbated when his friends comment on her hotness.
- In Groovy Kinda, Edison Lighthouse used to dress as sexy as possible in an attempt to get more of her son's friends to visit him. This is also where her heavy drinking began.
- Questionable Content:
- Veronica Reed (aka professional dominatrix and fetish model Veronica Vance) is definitely one. Virtually every character who is attracted to women has mentioned that they used to jack off over pictures of her. Needless to say, this has led to some awkward moments for her son Marten, especially when both his girlfriend Dora and her father admitted to it...
- Similarly, Dora's first reaction on seeing Marten's dad (who looks exactly like his son, but with silver hair and crow's feet around his eyes) is to turn to Marten and tell him how incredibly hot he'll look when he gets gray hair.
- This xkcd.
- In Friendly Hostility, Fox's mom's hotness leads to this conversation among the younger cast members. Even her daughter concedes that she's got it going on.
- From Homestuck, in reference to Jane's dad. Well, can you really blame a girl for still having the hots for her beta session love interest?:
TG: you dont even let me say your dad is hot even though we both know he way the fuck is i mean come one
- All of Todd's friends have a crush on Agent K in The Replacements. The Spy Catsuit she always wears must help.
- In The Simpsons episode "Simpson Tide"
Bart: My mom wears earrings. Do you think she's cool?
Milhouse: No, I think she's hot! ...Sorry, it just slipped out...
- In Family Guy:
- Chris says, "All my friends think you're hot. They can't believe I came out of you!"
- Then, of course, there is the recent episode where Lois has an affair with Meg's new boyfriend, except that Lois is the one who instigates the affair.
- Quagmire frequently makes mention of this, but is in the wrong peer group.
- Steve's friends on American Dad! have mentioned it about his mom, though.
- Jeff, boyfriend and then husband of Hayley (that makes Francine his mother-in-law), finds her attractive.
- South Park:
- Used a bit disturbingly in a Valentine's Day episode of Jimmy Neutron when every character makes advances on whoever they believe completes their One True Pairing, and Carl goes after Jimmy's mom. Since the crushes never really wore off completely, it later becomes a Running Gag, as Carl apparently thinks quite a bit about Judy... and Mrs. Fowl, on occasion.
- In 6teen, Jonesy is attracted for Yummy Mummy.
- Taken a step further on Metalocalypse Skwisgaar is known for his stable of GMILFs (Grand Mother I'd Like to Fuck).
- In Good Vibes, Woodie has a crush on Babs (his best friend Mondo's mother).
- In The Venture Bros., a deleted scene has Triana's friend Kim tell her "Your dad is so hot." Triana is squicked out, naturally.
- When the The Secret Saturdays cross over in an episode of Ben 10: Omniverse, Ben is immediately smitten by Drew Saturday, which annoys her son Zak to no end because he will not shut up about it.
Drew: Oh, right back at you.
Zak: Dude, that's my mom!