Edison & Anya's first kissGroovy, Kinda
is a Mundane Fantastic
webcomic by Charlie Wise. Follow the comedic misadventures of Larry Pye, Edison Lighthouse, and Anya Langerak, as they try to make a Love Triangle
work. Groovy, Kinda
is unique in that the leads are all in their late 30s to early 40s.
Supporting characters include Stephanie Rossum, a tall, blond Robot Girl
from another universe, and Toivo Mackelakangishelmuumaki, Larry's best friend, a gay Neanderthal.
Provides Examples Of:
- Adorkable: Larry and Stephanie both have their moments.
- The Alcoholic: Edison Lighthouse rarely appears without a drink in hand. While old enough to be a Lady Drunk, she's far too cheerful, and too much of a homebody to be a Hard-Drinking Party Girl.
- All Women Are Lustful: Almost. Edison wants Larry and Anya. Anya wants Larry and Edison. Stephanie wants Larry, but she can't become aroused unless she's next to Edison's navel hangy thingy. It's kind of complicated.
- Artificial Human: Stephanie Rossum. Tall, blonde, adorable. Loves pudding and books with pictures of kittens. This Robot Girl smokes cigarettes, which she can light with her finger.
- Art Shift: Starts to look like Archie comics during the flashbacks to Edison's youth, juxtaposed with the emotional complexity of her relationships.
- Bacon Addiction: Stephanie creates a waffle made entirely of bacon. It is well-received.
- Bare Your Midriff: Both Edison and Eleanor sport ultra-low hiphuggers, which always show a bit of tummy. The drunker Edison gets, the wider the gap between her pants and her top. She also has a mysterious navel piercing, her "navel hangy thingy."
- But Liquor Is Quicker: At her soberest (a relative term), Edison Lighthouse calls to mind a 1950s television housewife. As her day and her drinking progress, she begins to lose both buttons and inhibitions.
- Cat Girl: Miffy, a feline-looking alien from Venus.
- The Chessmaster: Eleanor is planning something huge, and she's using almost everyone in the story. Most of them don't know it yet.
- Description Cut: Every so often. When characters speculate on what someone (or someones) else is doing their assumptions invariably turn out to be off the mark.
- Deliberately Monochrome, with a couple of color sequences when Stephanie had a cigarette.
- Dream Sequence: Edison sometimes has them when she goes to sleep drunk (it's rare when she goes to sleep any other way). Usually she's recalling her past. Larry's had a couple as well.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: With a bit of sci-fi flavor. Somehow an otherwise normal setting has aliens, sentient robots, cavemen, and a whole slew of weird things.
- Fetish: Anya has one for CLOWNS. Seriously.
- Friend to All Children: Anya is quite fond of kids.
- Hot Librarian: Anya Langerak appears to be a shy, somewhat overweight Cute Bookworm. As the story unfolds, we find out that this Children's Librarian is the former love slave to Eleanor, and has a deep submissive streak. She also sports some world-class cleavage when hosting a dinner for Larry and Edison.
- Love Dodecahedron: Though the comic focuses primarily on the relationships between the three main characters, there are hints that things are going to become a bit more complicated. And they do.
- Manly Gay: Toivo, what with being a gay CAVEMAN.
- Mood Whiplash: The mood tends to shift from silly to serious at a moments’ notice, especially when jumping from one group of characters to another.
- Mrs. Robinson: Even though Anya, who is 35, was once Eleanor's love slave, she was the exception. Eleanor much prefers high school boys and girls. Anya is currently living with one of Eleanor's former pets, 15 year old Jacob.
- Ms. Fanservice: Eleanor, and especially Edison, if you like 40 year old women with less than perfect bodies who like to show off their midriff and cleavage. Eleanor, Edison, and Anya all prefer Vapor Wear, fishnets, stockings, garters, and Dangerously Short Skirts, though Anya dresses appropriately for work.
- Mundane Fantastic: Eleanor invented the Discombobulationotron, which can open up a (literal) doorway into another universe. Larry mentions how he and Phyl Sampson investigated the Plateau that Time Misplaced (with dinosaurs), The Underwater Aliens, and helped build The Great Saharan Monorail. Also there may be a Venusian Cat Girl running loose.
- Mysterious Past: Edison Lighthouse, as Rosemary Pipkin, lived with her husband and teenage son in a Riverdale like suburb. Now she's a presumably single, alcoholic artist living in an apartment in Innesmount. Also, Larry Pye used to date The Famous Supermodel Victoria, Eleanor's sister, until something happened that no one is allowed to mention.
- Nerd: Larry Pye. See also: Nerd Glasses
- Perma Stubble: Toivo sports an everlasting five o’ clock shadow.
- Ridiculously Human Robot: Stephanie looks entirely human.
- Sickening Sweethearts: Edison and Larry tend to get pretty mushy, especially when she’s had a bit too much to drink.
- Sexy Spectacles: Anya and Eleanor both rock this.
- Shout-Out: Quite a few, including one to Questionable Content.
- Meaningful Name: Rossum the robot? Reade the bookstore owner?
- Stacy's Mom: As revealed in flashbacks and dreams, Edison Lighthouse ued to wear sexy outfits, as a ploy to get more of her teenaged son's friends to come over and play with him. Fortifying herself with Dutch Courage, this rapidly descended into heavy drinking.
- Statuesque Stunner: Stephanie "Steffie" Rossum, a robot version of the trope.
- Transgender: Reade Turner, bookstore owner, was revealed to be Reed Turner, best friend and fellow Boy Scout to Nelson.
- Webcomic Time: Groovy Kinda starts on a Friday night, and, after 400+ strips, has covered just over two weeks. Larry's slept with Edison, Edison's slept with Anya, Stephanie took a ride in an airship, learned to smoke, and got a library card. And a character died.
- What Did You Expect When You Named It ____?_: Averted. One would expect the Hindenburger, a restaurant/zeppelin, to be a disaster waiting to happen, but it doesn't blow up. Larry and Edison's relationship almost crashes and burns, though.