Webcomic / The Errant Apprentice
On February 27th 1975, the magical forces and beings of times long passed returned to the earth, and with them, the need for bold knights prepared to defend the weak and uphold the law. Terry, an aspiring knight errant from Mississippi, leaves home to follow in his father’s footsteps as a protector of the people and the church.
Joining Terry in his quest are Delores Cody, a rebellious mage with more power than she realizes and a rather obvious attraction to Terry, Elton Beasley, a bard who doesn’t like to take “no” for an answer, and a whole host of other colorful characters from both the world of humans and the mysterious realms beyond.
Read the webcomic here
This webcomic contains examples of:
- And Then John Was a Zombie: Terry is the new Oak King and a mage. He doesn’t take this news too well, considering his mission to eliminate all magic in the name of the Church.
- Badass Boast: Terry reciting his tally, subverted in that he didn't think it was an impressive achievement.
- Bald Women: In Delores’ case, it definitely also qualifies as Bald of Awesome.
- The Bard: Elton plays this role both in-story and also in a metafictional sense, as he’s also the comic’s narrator.
- Big Bad: Jack in the Leaves, the former Oak King.
- Break the Cutie: Oh, Terry.
- Corrupt Church: The Catholic Church isn’t necessarily evil by design, but it is being manipulated from the inside by the Oak King.
- Cool Bike: More like a Cool Scooter, but Thunder is a pretty solid automobile. And then it turns out Thunder was Al in an Earth form all along.
- The Dragons Come Back: Although not the sole threat from the return of magic, dragons are one of the bigger liabilities to common folk. Terry’s first opponent in the comic is a fire-breathing dragon.
- The Fair Folk: Most magical beings run by their own rules, some of which seem downright unfair by human standards.
- Friend to All Children: The Greenman takes orphan in as his own, including Terry.
- The Fundamentalist: Terry is a softer version of this trope. He’s firm in his beliefs and will go to extremes to uphold them, but he’s still a Nice Guy and treats “heathens” with (albeit misguided) respect.
- The High Queen: The May Queen, Delores.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Terry becomes more jaded as time goes on, but his heroic spirit remains steadfast.
- Mercy Kill: Al requests this of Terry, which then unleashes his true form.
- Plant Person: The Greenman lives up to his name in the most literal ways possible.
- Red Mage: Delores is able to use a wide variety of useful magical spells.
- Sapient Steed: Al, which makes sense when he’s revealed to be an Archetype in disguise.