was a webcomic by Brad J. Guigar that ran from February 2000 through June 2005. The strip's premise revolves around the life and career of a group of actors, managed by the gargoyle
Argus, who produce a comic strip named Greystone Inn
, in which a bed-and-breakfast's owner discovers that his inn is home to a gargoyle...
The series takes place in the same universe as, and shares a few charactersnote
with, Guigar's strip that suceeded it, Evil Inc.
The archive can be read here
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Why Trever the intern dresses like a punk.
- Amoral Attorney: It turns out that Argus' lawyer is a vampire.
Mac: Did you know your lawyer is a blood-sucking vampire?!
- Back from the Dead: The comic company avoids The Character Died with Him by using cloned "franken-zombies".
- Breaking the Fourth Wall / Metafictional Device: The Narrator.
- Cats Are Mean: Mister Tummy-Tums
- Cigar Chomper: Argus
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: A tourgoer remarks that the relationship between Mel Cooley and Argus reminds them of The Dick Van Dyke Show, much to Argus' amusement.
- Eccentric Exterminator: Carl Spackler blows up "varmints" with plastic explosives shaped to look like his targets.
- Exact Words: In the Show Within a Show Argus was enchanted by an ancient wizard to watch over the owners of the land Greystone Inn sits on.
Argus: You're my MTV, pal.
- Flying Brick: Titanic Man
- God Guise: The Narrator can't resist having a little fun with Mr. Warship.
- Golf Clubbing: Mac doesn't take criticism of his golf game well.
Argus: Funny, it's called a club but you use it like a spade.
Mac: Oh, I could use it like a club...
- Grammar Nazi: Lawrence
Argus: And you wonder why nobody ever asks editors to go to lunch!
- Grandma, What Massive Hotness You Have: The reason Mel Cooley is eager to get a job with Blondie
Argus: Good lord, man! What is she - 70? 80 years old?!
Mel Cooley: And she's still got it.
- Hair Antennae: Keagan has these
- Expy: "H. Ross Peroach" and "Bob Village".
- Insistent Terminology: They're not dolls, they're action figures.
- Large Ham: Argus
- Lethal Chef: Mac, until he practices to impress Samantha.
- Na´ve Newcomer: Mac gets the job as producer because he has no prior experience.
- Non Humans Lack Attributes: Argus rarely bothers to wear anything, and doesn't need to for modesty.
- Noodle Incident: Keagan returns from his stand-up comedy gig in Las Vegas with Godzilla with the tale of "the King Kong incident".
Something about Kong, Godzilla, a crate of scotch and the Statue of Liberty
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend: In the flashback to the "early days of the strip", only Ned can talk to Argus due to the terms of the wizard's curse.
- Only Sane Woman: Sammy, who has no patience for Argus' antics.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Mac's roommate, who was accidentally killed by a rock while ghost hunting.
- Pungeon Master: Mac
Argus: (after a horrible date) I've been picking chewing tobacco out of my teeth all morning.
Mac: Ahhh. A Kodiak moment.
- Put on a Bus: Mel Cooley
- Roger Rabbit Effect: Argus, Ned and Inez are living cartoons.
- Running Gag: Argus is not fond of them.
- Second Face Smoke: The reason the plush Argus toy was discontinued.
Sammy: It was real smoke! The darned thing needed a Surgeon General's warning!
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Mac upon finding a mouse in his kitchen.
Mouse: I don't think the man saw me, but his girlfriend must have.
- Shipper on Deck: Argus, for Mac and Sammy.
- Show Within a Show: The entire premise of the strip.
- Stand-Up Comedy: Keagan's second job.
- Taken for Granite: Argus, being a gargoyle, has issues with his condo's "no lawn ornaments" policy.
- That Didn't Happen: A tour group is bribed to forget they saw anything when a scripting goes awry.
- The Cameo: A number of famous cartoon characters join Argus in Drowning Their Sorrows after failing to make People's "Sexiest Toons" list.
- The Casanova: Keagan, before he meets Lightning Lady.
- The Devil: When Argus decides he needs a new agent, said agent is decidedly diabiolical in both appearance and action.
- The Fundamentalist: Mr. Warship
- Token Non-Human: Argus.
- Your Mom: Lawrence tells Yo Momma jokes with style.
- Wings Do Nothing: Argus