is a live-action comedy based on a suburban family of super humans. The series was created by Jed Spingarn. It debuted on October 14, 2013 on the Nickelodeon
The show focuses on a 14 year old set of twins named Phoebe and Max, the former a super heroine and the latter a super villain. Together, they learn to get through life with their superhero parents Barb and Hank and two younger siblings Nora and Billy.
Tropes found in this series include:
- Academy of Evil: Max hopes to go to a school for supervillains.
- Baleful Polymorph: Dr. Colosso was a notorious supervillain that Thunderman turned into a rabbit.
- Big Red Button: The Max 10 missile had a nice, big, shiny, red launch button.
- Big Screwed-Up Family
- Black Sheep: Max is a supervillain in a family of superheroes.
- Brand X: Pheobe and Max want to buy the new Me Phone.
- Breath Weapon: Phoebe and Max have ice and heat breath.
- Deface of the Moon: Max '"baby sits" his younger siblings by getting them to help carve his intials in the moon.
- Evil Twin: Max is this to Phoebe.
- Eye Beams: Nora's power.
- Expy: Dr. Colosso is one of Salem.
- Extracurricular Enthusiast: Phoebe loves going to school and participating in the big math competition.
- Flying Brick: Thunderman's superpower set.
- Hair-Raising Hare: Dr.Colosso
- Harmless Freezing: Both siblings posses this power, and is a Running Gag in the series. In both the first and the fourteenth episode its a plot point.
- Large Ham: Hank Thunderman is still hamming it up in retirement.
- Man-Eating Plant: Max mutates Pheobe's plant for school into this.
- Mundane Utility: The opening of the pilot revolves around all the kids using there powers to set the table for dinner. This is a common theme throughout the series.
- Mind over Matter: Both Max and Phoebe's most common power.
- Paranoia Gambit: Max pulls a successful one on Phoebe, following her responding to their escalating prank war. However it ends up backfiring, as Phoebe gets so Paranoid she tries to end the war by pranking herself and ends up causing Max's lab to start the self-destruct countdown and locking them both in it.
- Polar Opposite Twins: The only trait Pheobe and Max share are their powers.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Pheobe sometimes sees her family's powers as a hindrance and wishes she did not have them.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Max would rather be the world's best super villian than second best superhero to his sister.
- Self-Destruct Mechanism: Max's evil lair has one.
- Shock and Awe: Barb's power.
- Sibling Rivalry: Max and Phoebe's feuding is the most obvious, but all four have some form of rivalry between them.
- Sticky Situation: Hank and Billy get themselves stuck to the flypaper they laid down to catch their newspaper thief.
- Superhero School: Phoebe is preparing for Superhero University.
- Super Speed: Billy's power.
- Token Evil Teammate: Max.
- Trailers Always Spoil: The previews for 'Report Card' show Dr.Colosso as the paper thief, even though finding the thief is an episode long side plot.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World: Shaping up like this, but as they're temporarily out of the superhero business, it's more save whatever they've caused to go wrong.