Characters: The Thundermans
open/close all folders
- Action Girl: Phoebe's taken combat lessons as part of her superhero training, and she's by no means bad at using them.
- Big Sister Instinct: While she has no problems mocking, humiliating and pranking Max (and to a much lesser extent Billy and Nora) the moment he's ever in serious trouble she'll jump to his defence. The feelings likewise mutual. She's likewise very protective of her younger siblings.
- Brainy Brunette: Highly intelligent, very dedicated to school work and has brown hair.
- Breath Weapon: Just like her brother, Phoebe has both Heat and Ice Breath.
- Cannot Keep a Secret: Ironically, for someone with a secret identity, Phoebe is terrible at keeping secrets.
- Dance Battler: Like Max, Phoebe is incredibly agile and flexible, she relies a lot on her agility and speed during combat.
- Extracurricular Enthusiast: Phoebe loves going to school and participating in the big math competition. She even refers it as her lair (in comparison to Max's actual lair).
- Harmless Freezing: Both she and her brother can use their Ice Breath for this.
- Hero Protagonist
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Played With, she looks forward to being a hero and appreciates the perks her powers give her. But at the same time, she often is annoyed at the draw backs her life causes, such her need to keep secrets from her friends.
- Insufferable Genius: She's smart and will bragg about it a lot.
- Mind over Matter: Her main ability, both Max and her possess reasonably powerful telekinesis.
- Nice Girl: Generally categorised by being sweet, friendly and cheerful.
- Not So Above It All: She's not above antagonizing her brother and flaunting her success over him. Likewise she has a bit of an ego.
- Pride: As good a person as she is, Phoebe does have an ego. Her pride is generally her greatest flaw, as she will do things that normally she would be reluctant to, just to satisfy it. She also often feels the need to be the best at everything, and as such failures hit her pretty hard.
- Polar Opposite Twins: The only trait Phoebe and Max share are their powers.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Max's Red
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She is afraid of roller coasters.
- Adorkable: Max is really dorky. He likes scrap booking and role playing. He's basically is a nerd without the typical geeky image.
- Afraid of Needles: When Max sees a needle he faints.
- Aloof Big Brother: To Billy and Nora.
- Badass: If single headedly taking on The Green Ghoul (one of the most powerful and dangerous ghosts, who only his father had ever beaten) while the ghoul also was possessing Phoebe and thus had access to all her powers (and as they have the same powers that means Max didn't have a hope of being close to equal) and not only surviving but bouncing back from the defeat doesn't qualify him, not much will.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Enforced. Lets face it, he's just a kid who wants to evil but fails every time he tries.
- Big Brother Instinct: Constant pranking, mocking and humiliating aside, the moment anyone seriously endangers Phoebe or goes to far, he will always jump to her defence. The feeling is likewise mutual.
- While less commonly shown, attempts to try and hurt or humiliate his younger siblings (Billy, Nora and Chloe) are a good way to provoke him. Such as him withdrawing his chance of selling a character to a videogame maker (despite all the money it could make him) and turning upon him when he discovered he had set Billy and Nora up to fail.
- Big Eater: Max is constantly eating and stealing other people's food.
- Black Sheep: Max is a supervillain in a family of superheroes.
- Butt Monkey: Not always, but of the cast he does get hurt the most.
- Breath Weapon: Just like his sister, Max has both Heat and Ice Breath.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Max is every bit as smart as his sister (academically) but prefers to slack off in class, and work on his inventions rather than study.
- Chick Magnet: A lot of girls find him attractive, including Phoebe's best friend.
- Cut Lex Luthor a Check: He could easily have a future of being a scientist or selling his inventions if he wasn't so worried about being evil.
- Crazy-Prepared: He often has something for nearly every situation. One episode reveals he actually has stuff prepared to disable and imprison the rest of his family.
- Dance Battler: When fighting the Grey Ghoul, Max proves he's incredibly agile and quick. Like his sister he often relies on his agility when in a fight.
- Deadpan Snarker: Generally has a snarky response to anything that is going on.
- Deuteragonist: Of the twins, he gets the second most focus.
- Envy: The whole reason he wants to be a supervillain is because he doesn't want to be a second best hero to his sister.
- Evil Genius: Well he's certainly a genius, and he wants to be evil.
- Evil Twin: Max is (or at least wants to be) this to Phoebe.
- Gadgeteer Genius: While not so impressive for the world he lives in, Max still has developed incredible technology, built in his own bedroom.
- Harmless Villain: Max is more mouth than action and the "evil" things he does is just petty little things that any rebellious teenager would do. Generally his attempts at seriously evil things either fail or he feels to guilty to finish them.
- Harmless Freezing: Both he and his sister can use their Ice Breath for this.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: When Max does something kind for someone he usually says not to tell anyone because of his reputation.
- I Just Want to Be Special
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Dr. Colosso who's even older than Hank.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: For all his claims being evil and being a supervillain, when it really maters he will always come through for his family.
- Mad Scientist: Has his own lab, builds rockets and doomsday devices and is a unarguable genius.
- Manipulative Bastard: Very good at getting others to do what he wants.
- Mind over Matter: His main ability, like his sister he possess quite powerful telekinesis.
- Mr. Fanservice: Especially during the second season, the show likes to draw attention to Jack's muscles.
- The Prankster: Generally his only display that he's evil.
- Polar Opposite Twins: The only trait Pheobe and Max share are their powers.
- Rebellious Spirit: His main demonstration of villainy.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Phoebe's Blue.
- Stepford Snarker: The reason Max makes so many rude and sarcastic comments about others could easily be because he's somewhat insecure and hurt.
- The Unfavourite: His parents (and apparently the entire superhero community) clearly prefer Phoebe. It's (at least partially) down to this that he wants to be a supervillain in the first place.
- The Smart Guy: He is the one who usually comes ups with the plans.
- Teen Genius: Has built doomsday devices, and turned a Venus flytrap into an unstoppable monster all before eighteen.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: As the show has progressed, Max has gotten meaner.
- Token Evil Teammate
- Troubled, but Cute
- Villain Protagonist
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Most of the reason he's in the super villain phase is just for attention from his parents who obviously prefer Pheobe. Also he seems to be kind of ignored and when his parents complement him he gets pretty happy.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: For some reason he's severely afraid of needles (Trypanophobia) and hospitals creep him out. Also he is afraid of roller coasters.
- Big Brother Instinct: Not really towards Nora, but Billy is very caring and protective towards Chloe.
- The Ditz: Nearing Too Dumb to Live levels.
- Kindhearted Simpleton: Billy is really not that bright, but he is incredibly nice.
- Nice Guy: Probably the nicest of all the kids, even surpassing Phoebe. He has a very strong moral code, and will even bust his and Nora's plans at times.
- Super Speed: Up to date his only power.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: How her older siblings feel about her (not without reason) except Billy.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Nora really can be a brat.
- Eye Beams: Up to date her only power.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Nora is arrogant, bratty and demanding, however she does truly love her family, and especially close to Billy, who despite occasionally mocking, she happily acknowledges is her best friend.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: Sometimes, in all fairness to everyone, she can shoot lasers out of her eyes.
- Action Dad: He's retired, however Hank proves on occasion, that even now he's out of shape, he's still got it.
- Archenemy: During his superhero days, his archenemy was Evilman, the only villain he could never beat (there fights would demolish what ever city they were in, and end in a tie). However after both he and his nemesis retired, many years later they more or less patched things up (after a big food fight).
- Big Eater
- Bumbling Dad: Has shades of this, although he's still savvy enough to know that when you have four kids there is always a good reason to shout. Whether or not his wife is any better though, is debatable.
- Flying Brick
- Happily Married: To Barb
- Large Ham: Still hamming it up, into retirement.
- One Head Taller: Than his wife.
- Over Protective Dad: He literally grills anyone who wants to go out with Phoebe.
- Reluctant Retiree: Somewhat he voluntarily retired from crime fighting so his children could have a normal childhood, however he will leap at every half chance he gets and apparently still wears his suit under his clothes.
- Retired Badass: He used to be a great superhero. Now he's out of shape and weaker, but he can still jump to call when needed.
- Super Strength: Describes himself as the strongest man in the world and he can certainly back up that claim.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Certainly.
- My Beloved Smother: Has shown signs of this, such as panicking when she had to leave her children for one night.
- Happily Married: To Hank.
- Lethal Chef: To the point her kids try and vandalise her cooking equipment.
- Light 'em Up: She can produce and manipulate light as well as electricity and even simulate the effects of sparklers.
- Reluctant Retiree: She is defiantly more willing than her husband, however she still dresses up in her superhero costume and plays a motion capture superhero video game with her husband, while the children are at school. Apparently quite often.
- Retired Badass: Just like her husband, she used to be an awesome hero, however now she's retired.
- Shock and Awe: She wasn't a hero called "Electriss" for nothing.
Actor:Maya Le Clark
- Baleful Polymorph: Dr. Colosso was a notorious supervillain that Thunderman turned into a rabbit.
- Comedic Sociopath: He sometimes goes into this on occasion.
- Hair-Raising Hare
- Harmless Villain: As he's now a rabbit, and really he's too comical to take to seriously.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Max.
- Laughably Evil: He's been reduced to a comical misfit who's main purpose is to provide humor.
- The Mentor: Has seemingly taken this role for Max.
- The Ditz: She can't remember her own locker combination.
- Secret Keeper: Following "A Hero is Born" she knows Phoebe's secrets
- Shipper on Deck: She helps (or rather forces) Phoebe to deal with her crush.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Doesn't appear after the first series.
- Nice Guy
- Satellite Love Interest
- Spoiled Sweet: Comes from a rich family.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Expy: Of Harper
- Hollywood Nerd: The show made a valiant (but largely futile) attempt to hide Keely Marshall's good looks under thick glasses and a dorky wardrobe.
- Self-Proclaimed Love Interest: Believes Max loves her, when he really can't stand her.
- Stalker Witha Crush: On Max, to the point he had to freeze her to escape her.
- White Sheep: His father is the former Supervillain Evilman, Link meanwhile is a pretty nice guy, much to his father's displeasure.
- Nice Guy
- Put on a Bus: Leaves Hiddenville at the end of "Give Me a Break Up" to become the protector of Hong Kong, causing him and Phoebe to break up.
- Rubber Man: His power is he can stretch his body to incredibly lengths. Apparently he can stretch his body all the way to Metroburg from Hiddenville to get Phoebe her favorite snack.
- Satellite Love Interest
- Brainless Beauty: Even Phoebe fell for him initially, however he's dumb as mud.
- Dumbass Has a Point: He's not really that bright, but he will occasionally notice things about Max and Phoebe's secret, such as their baby sister growing to fast or their being man shaped holes in their roof. Fortunately he's easily distracted.
- The Ditz: Was easily dupped into believing the Thundermans had moved, and then believed it when another note pushed out from under the door said they would be moving back the next day.
Super President Kickbutt
- Action Mom: Has a daughter.
- Big Good: Is head of the superhero league, and in charge of all the superheroes on earth.
- Black Boss Lady
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Doesn't even mind to much that Phoebe told Cherry her secret.
Actor: Harvey Guillen
- Big Eater: Hence why he's so big.
- Feel No Pain: Part of his power, its impossible to physically hurt him.
- Fiction500: Is incredibly wealthy due to his uncle, the All American Blob leaving him all his money.
- Nice Guy: Is constantly cheerful, friendly and generous.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: His power is that pretty much nothing can damage him, Nora's laser beams just bounce off his chest, a cannon ball hitting him doesn't even knock him over.
- Uncle Pennybags: Well cousin in this case.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Downplayed, being a nice guy he would never misuse his fortune, but he's not above using it to open doors.
- Sidekick: Used to be one to Barb's uncle, the All American Blob, before he died.
Actor: Kenny Ridwan
- Casanova Wannabe: Everyone of his attempts to flit always go horribly wrong. Despite this, he never stops trying.
Actor: Jeff Meacham
- Badass Teacher: Secretly holds illegal wrestling matches in the school after hours. Of which he is the champion, he's also good enough to take both Max and Phoebe on a fight (remembering that even without their powers, both have taken on actual supervillains in a fight).
- Dean Bitterman: The only part of the job he enjoys is making his students miserable.
- Jaded Washout: Isn't happy with how his life turned out.
- Jerkass: Is not a nice man.
- Lazy Bum: Holds no interest in school matters, and prefers to relax and play golf.
- Sadistic Teacher: For starters he makes people in detention wear orange jumpsuits and chains.
Actor: Helen Hong