open/close all folders
- Action Girl: Phoebe's taken combat lessons as part of her superhero training, and she's by no means bad at using them.
- Badass Bookworm: She's nerdy and loves to study, but she's also a superhero who kicks ass.
- Big Sister Instinct: While she has no problems mocking, humiliating and pranking Max (and to a much lesser extent Billy and Nora) the moment he's ever in serious trouble she'll jump to his defence. The feeling's mutual. She's likewise very protective of her younger siblings.
- Bizarre Human Biology: She has an extra lobe in her brain for her superpowers.
- Brainy Brunette: Highly intelligent, very dedicated to school work and has brown hair.
- Breath Weapon: Just like her brother, Phoebe has both Heat and Ice Breath.
- Cannot Keep a Secret: Ironically, for someone with a secret identity, Phoebe is terrible at keeping secrets.
- Child Prodigy: Ever since her childhood, Phoebe's been doted on as the future best hero ever.
- The Conscience: Zigzagged. She always calls out Max (and sometimes her other siblings) when he does something wrong. But then she sometimes does things that are just as bad.
- Combo Platter Powers: Including telekinesis, heat breath, ice breath, super intelligence, and super senses.
- Dance Battler: Like Max, Phoebe is incredibly agile and flexible, she relies a lot on her agility and speed during combat.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Extracurricular Enthusiast: Phoebe loves going to school and participating in the big math competition. She even refers it as her lair (in comparison to Max's actual lair).
- Envy: Anytime she gets the slightest bit jealous, it can bring out her darker side and she'll become obsessed. Her problems with envy may even surpass Max's.
- Harmless Freezing: Both she and her brother can use their Ice Breath for this.
- Hero Protagonist
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Played With, she looks forward to being a hero and appreciates the perks her powers give her. But at the same time, she often is annoyed at the drawbacks her life causes, such as her need to keep secrets from her friends.
- Insufferable Genius: She's smart and will brag about it a lot.
- It's All About Me: She's conceited and will often will do whatever to get what she wants. Sometimes surpassing Max in this regard.
- Like Parent, Like Child: Phoebe is a lot like her father.
- Meaningful Name: Phoebe means "shining one" in Latin.
- Ms. Fanservice: Mostly when using her super hero suit, but she also shows off her legs quite a bit.
- Mind over Matter: Her main ability, both she and Max possess reasonably powerful telekinesis.
- Nice Girl: Generally categorised by being sweet, friendly and cheerful.
- Not So Above It All: She's not above antagonizing her brother and flaunting her success over him. Likewise she has a bit of an ego.
- Pride: As good a person as she is, Phoebe does have an ego. Her pride is generally her greatest flaw, as she will do things that normally she would be reluctant to, just to satisfy it. She also often feels the need to be the best at everything, and as such failures hit her pretty hard.
- Polar Opposite Twins: The only trait Phoebe and Max share are their powers.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Max's Red
- Tights Under Shorts: She wears shorts over her pants, presumably to avoid Male Gaze over her butt.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She is afraid of roller coasters.
- Action Hero: If single-handedly taking on The Green Ghoul (one of the most powerful and dangerous ghosts, who only his father had ever beaten) while the ghoul also was possessing Phoebe and thus had access to all her powers (and as they have the same powers that means Max didn't have a hope of being close to equal) and not only surviving but bouncing back from the defeat doesn't qualify him, not much will.
- Not only does Max stand up to Dark Mayhem but he defeats him. Something even his father couldn't do and Max is only sixteen.
- Adorkable: Though you'd look at him and precive him as a bad boy, he's super dorky. From scrapbooking to role playing Max is a huge and adorable nerd.
- Afraid of Needles: When Max sees a needle he faints.
- Aloof Big Brother: To Billy and Nora.
- Always Second Best: Often feels this way towards Phoebe.
- Anti-Hero: Max gives up on evil, but doesn't want to be a goody-two shoes like Phoebe, so he settles on this.
- Badass Bookworm: He's highly intelligent and he can defiantly handle himself in a fight.
- Big Bad Wannabe: Enforced. Lets face it, he's just a kid who wants to evil but fails every time he tries. If anything, he's nothing more than a petty Jerkass.
- Big Brother Instinct: Constant pranking, mocking and humiliating aside, the moment anyone seriously endangers Phoebe or goes to far, he will always jump to her defence. The feeling is mutual.
- While less commonly shown, attempts to hurt or humiliate his younger siblings (Billy, Nora and Chloe) are a good way to provoke him. Such as his withdrawing his chance of selling a character to a videogame maker (despite all the money it could make him) and turning on him when he discovered he had set Billy and Nora up to fail.
- Big Eater: Max is constantly eating and stealing other people's food.
- Big Man on Campus: Subverted as Max thinks he's a much bigger deal at his school than he really is.
- When he and Phoebe go back to their old grammer school to make up a 5th grade test, Max smugly says he'll be worshipped as a legend. Instead, no one (including the robots who have complete records on all students) has any idea who he is. Later, we find out he was a bully back then.
- Bizarre Human Biology: He has an extra lobe in his brain for his superpowers.
- Black Sheep: Max is a supervillain in a family of superheroes.
- Brutal Honesty: Though Max lies a lot to stay out of trouble, when it comes to other things, he's a brutally honest.
- Butt Monkey: Literally nothing ever goes right for the poor kid.
- Breath Weapon: Just like his sister, Max has both Heat and Ice Breath.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Max is every bit as smart as his sister (academically) but prefers to slack off in class, and work on his inventions rather than study.
- Chick Magnet: A lot of girls find him attractive, including Phoebe's best friend.
- Cut Lex Luthor a Check: He could easily have a future of being a scientist or selling his inventions if he wasn't so worried about being evil.
- Crazy-Prepared: He often has something for nearly every situation. One episode reveals he actually has stuff prepared to disable and imprison the rest of his family.
- Combo Platter Powers: Including telekinesis, heat breath, ice breath, super intelligence, and super senses.
- Dance Battler: When fighting the Green Ghoul, Max proves he's incredibly agile and quick. Like his sister he often relies on his agility when in a fight.
- Deadpan Snarker: Generally has a snarky response to anything that is going on.
- Deuteragonist: Of the twins, he gets the second most focus.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Whenever Max likes a girl, he drops all his evil ambitions and only focuses on the relationship.
- Envy: The whole reason he wants to be a supervillain is because he doesn't want to be a second best hero to his sister.
- Evil Genius: Well he's certainly a genius, and he wants to be evil.
- Evil Twin: Max is (or at least wants to be) this to Phoebe. As of Season 4, it's downplayed to Anti Hero Twin.
- Gadgeteer Genius: While not so impressive for the world he lives in, Max still has developed incredible technology, built in his own bedroom.
- Guilt Complex: Anytime Max tries to something evil he ends up feeling extreme guilt.
- Harmless Villain: Max is more mouth than action and the "evil" things he does is just petty little things that any rebellious teenager would do. Generally his attempts at seriously evil things either fail or he feels to guilty to finish them.
- Harmless Freezing: Both he and his sister can use their Ice Breath for this.
- Hates Being Alone: In "Original Prankster" it's said Max has a fear of his family leaving him. What makes it worse is that he's actually prepared for it to happen.
- Heel–Face Turn: Max gives up being a villain and becomes a hero even getting his cape.
- Hidden Heart of Gold: When Max does something kind for someone he usually says not to tell anyone because of his reputation.
- I Just Want to Be Special
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Dr. Colosso who's even older than Hank.
- Jerkass: He claims he is evil, but in reality, he's this. Even when he was younger, he bullied a kid in superhero elementary school, and that bit him years later.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: For all his claims being evil and being a supervillain, when it really maters he will always come through for his family.
- Mad Scientist: Has his own lab, builds rockets and doomsday devices and is a unarguable genius.
- Manipulative Bastard: Very good at getting others to do what he wants.
- Meaningful Name: Max means "greatest" in Latin.
- Mind over Matter: His main ability, like his sister he possess quite powerful telekinesis.
- Mr. Fanservice: Especially during the second season, the show likes to draw attention to Jack's muscles.
- Nominal Hero: After deciding to give up evil, he's training to be a superhero and joining a special organization, but he's selfish, lazy, and a glory-monger.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: He creates impressive machines, knows everything about chemistry and physics, seems to know multiple languages, and can solve complicated math problems in seconds. Yet for some reason he pretends (and possibly believes) he's stupid. He uses this to an extreme level, along with the fact that he's lazy. He once even was talking about scientific things his sister couldn't even understand.
- The Prankster: Generally his only display that he's evil.
- Polar Opposite Twins: The only trait Phoebe and Max share are their powers.
- Pretty Boy: Perfect hair, long eyelashes, and full lips. He's definitely a pretty boy.
- Rebellious Spirit: His main demonstration of villainy. Even though he chose to be a hero, Max makes it clear he won't be a "goody-two shoes" hero.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Phoebe's Blue.
- Stepford Snarker: The reason Max makes so many rude and sarcastic comments about others could easily be because he's somewhat insecure and hurt.
- Supreme Chef: It turns out Max is a really great chef and he actually enjoys cooking.
- The Unfavourite: His parents (and apparently the entire superhero community) clearly prefer Phoebe. It's (at least partially) down to this that he wants to be a supervillain in the first place.
- The Smart Guy: He is the one who usually comes ups with the plans when he and his siblings get in trouble.
- Teen Genius: Has built doomsday devices, and turned a Venus flytrap into an unstoppable monster all before eighteen.
- Tin Man: He usually shows no emotion and acts like he cares about nobody. He even states he's heartless. But multiple times through the series it's shown he has a warm heart.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: As the show has progressed, Max has gotten more aggressive and meaner.
- Took a Level in Kindness: In the season three finale Max becomes a hero and it is set to stay that way for the rest of the series... maybe.
- Token Evil Teammate: Subverted, he wants to be this but he never truly does anything heinous enough to qualify, at least nothing he didn't regret afterwards. After he decides to give up being evil, he's graduated to being a Nominal Hero.
- Troubled, but Cute: Max fits this to a T.
- Villain Protagonist
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Most of the reason he's in the super villain phase is just for attention from his parents who obviously prefer Pheobe. Also he seems to be kind of ignored and when his parents complement him he gets pretty happy.
- Wild Card: Max does get involved with other villains, but it's usually because he's seeking to get something for himself from them.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: For some reason he's severely afraid of needles. (Trypanophobia)
- Also in the episode "Are You Afraid Of The Park" it's mentioned that he's horrified of roller coasters and it happens to be that the family is going to a amusement park.
- Big Brother Instinct: Billy is very caring and protective of Chloe. He likely would be like this toward Nora as well, except that Nora, being so much smarter than Billy, is usually the one to take charge for them.
- The Ditz: Nearing Too Dumb to Live levels.
- Kindhearted Simpleton: Billy is really not that bright, but he is incredibly nice.
- Nice Guy: Probably the nicest of all the kids, even surpassing Phoebe. He has a very strong moral code, and will even bust his and Nora's plans at times.
- Super Speed: Up to date his only power.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: How her older siblings feel about her (not without reason) except Billy.
- Big Sister Instinct:
- Although initially unhappy that she would no longer be the baby of the family, Nora quickly grew into her big sister role, and is often seen to be very caring and protective of Chloe. In "Patch Me If You Can," Nora is devastated when she realizes that her carelessness with her eye-beams had nearly resulted in Chloe being severely hurt (or worse).
- Nora is also like this toward Billy, despite her being the younger sibling. This is generally because Nora, as the smarter of the two, usually took on the "leader" role for the pair.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Nora really can be a brat.
- Eye Beams: Up to date her only power.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Nora is arrogant, bratty and demanding, however she does truly love her family, and especially close to Billy, who despite occasionally mocking, she happily acknowledges is her best friend.
- Little Miss Snarker
- Little Miss Badass: She's cute and young, but don't let that fool you.
- Nora is the only character in the series to be seen unfreezing herself after Max and Phoebe freeze her and Billy in "The Neverfriending Story". Not even Evil Man could break out nor could Phoebe when Max froze her.
- Tiny Tyrannical Girl: Sometimes, in all fairness to everyone, she can shoot lasers out of her eyes.
- Action Dad: He's retired. However, Hank proves on occasion that, even though he's out of shape, he's still got it.
- Archenemy: During his superhero days, his archenemy was Evilman, the only villain he could never beat. (Their fights would demolish whatever city they were in, and end in a tie). However after both he and his nemesis retired, many years later they more or less patched things up (after a big food fight).
- Big Eater
- Bumbling Dad: Has shades of this, although he's still savvy enough to know that when you have four kids there is always a good reason to shout. Whether or not his wife is any better though, is debatable.
- Flying Brick: Capable of flying and extremely strong.
- Happily Married: To Barb
- Large Ham: Still hamming it up, into retirement.
- One Head Taller: Than his wife.
- Over Protective Dad: He grills anyone who wants to go out with Phoebe.
- Reluctant Retiree: Somewhat he voluntarily retired from crime fighting so his children could have a normal childhood, however he will leap at every half chance he gets and apparently still wears his suit under his clothes.
- Retired Badass: He used to be a great superhero. Now he's out of shape and weaker, but he can still jump to call when needed. One stand out moment was when he was faced with three supervillains. Just one of those villains, King Crab, gave Phoebe a very tough fight. Hank Curbstomps all three and their mooks in under a minute.
- Super Strength: Describes himself as the strongest man in the world and he can certainly back up that claim.
- World's Strongest Man: Describes himself as this, and considering the only villain he could never defeat was Evilman, and all their fights ended in city-destroying ties, it's likely he wasn't joking.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: Certainly.
- My Beloved Smother: Has shown signs of this, such as panicking when she had to leave her children for one night.
- Happily Married: To Hank.
- Humble Hero: In contrast to her husband, despite her long and impressive superhero career, she never brings up her achievements or victories, instead focusing on her new life. To the point her children are surprised to discover just how awesome she used to be.
- Lethal Chef: To the point her kids try and vandalise her cooking equipment.
- Light 'em Up: She can produce and manipulate light as well as electricity and even simulate the effects of sparklers.
- Reluctant Retiree: She is definitely more willing than her husband, however she still dresses up in her superhero costume and plays a motion capture superhero video game with her husband, while the children are at school. Apparently quite often.
- Retired Badass: Just like her husband, she used to be an awesome hero, however now she's retired.
- Shock and Awe: She wasn't a hero called "Electress" for nothing.
Actor:Maya Le Clark
- Baleful Polymorph: Dr. Colosso was a notorious supervillain who Thunderman turned into a rabbit.
- Comedic Sociopath: He sometimes goes into this on occasion.
- Hair-Raising Hare
- Harmless Villain: As he's now a rabbit, and really he's too comical to take too seriously.
- Intergenerational Friendship: With Max.
- Laughably Evil: He's been reduced to a comical misfit whose main purpose is to provide humor.
- Manipulative Bastard: Since Max decided to become a hero, he won't willingly follow him anymore, so Colosso resorts to manipulation and trickery on others to get things done.
- The Mentor: Has seemingly taken this role for Max.
- Sealed Evil in a Teddy Bear: Hank defeated him by turning him into a bunny rabbit.
- The Ditz: She can't remember her own locker combination.
- Dumb Blonde: Thick as two short planks, with golden locks.
- Secret Keeper: Following "A Hero is Born" she knows Phoebe's secrets
- Shipper on Deck: She helps (or rather forces) Phoebe to deal with her crush.
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Doesn't appear after the first series.
- Nice Guy
- Satellite Love Interest
- Spoiled Sweet: Comes from a rich family.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Expy: Of Harper
- Hollywood Nerd: The show made a valiant (but largely futile) attempt to hide Keely Marshall's good looks under thick glasses and a dorky wardrobe.
- Self-Proclaimed Love Interest: Believes Max loves her, when he really can't stand her.
- Stalker Witha Crush: On Max, to the point he had to freeze her to escape her.
- White Sheep: His father is the former Supervillain Evilman, Link meanwhile is a pretty nice guy, much to his father's displeasure.
- Nice Guy
- Put on a Bus: Leaves Hiddenville at the end of "Give Me a Break Up" to become the protector of Hong Kong, causing him and Phoebe to break up.
- Rubber Man: His power is he can stretch his body to incredibly lengths. Apparently he can stretch his body all the way to Metroburg from Hiddenville to get Phoebe her favorite snack.
- Satellite Love Interest: Has no role outside of being Phoebe's boyfriend, if he isn't in the episode he's never even mentioned.
- Brainless Beauty: Even Phoebe fell for him initially, however he's dumb as mud.
- Dumbass Has a Point: He's not really that bright, but he will occasionally notice things about Max and Phoebe's secret, such as their baby sister growing to fast or their being man shaped holes in their roof. Fortunately he's easily distracted.
- The Ditz: Was easily duped into believing the Thundermans had moved, and then believed it when another note pushed out from under the door said they would be moving back the next day.
Super President Kickbutt
- Action Mom: Has a daughter.
- Big Good: Is head of the superhero league, and in charge of all the superheroes on earth.
- Black Boss Lady
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Doesn't even mind too much that Phoebe told Cherry her secret.
Actor: Harvey Guillen
- Big Eater: Hence why he's so big.
- Feel No Pain: Part of his power, its impossible to physically hurt him.
- Fiction500: Is incredibly wealthy due to his uncle, the All American Blob leaving him all his money.
- Nice Guy: Is constantly cheerful, friendly and generous.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: His power is that pretty much nothing can damage him, Nora's laser beams just bounce off his chest, a cannonball hitting him doesn't even knock him over.
- Uncle Pennybags: Well cousin in this case.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: Downplayed, being a nice guy he would never misuse his fortune, but he's not above using it to open doors.
- Sidekick: Used to be one to Barb's uncle, the All American Blob, before he died.
Actor: Kenny Ridwan
- Casanova Wannabe: Every one of his attempts to flirt always go horribly wrong. Despite this, he never stops trying.
Actor: Jeff Meacham
- Badass Teacher: Secretly holds illegal wrestling matches in the school after hours. Of which he is the champion, he's also good enough to take both Max and Phoebe on a fight (remembering that even without their powers, both have taken on actual supervillains in a fight).
- Dean Bitterman: The only part of the job he enjoys is making his students, especially Max, miserable.
- Jaded Washout: Isn't happy with how his life turned out.
- Jerkass: Is not a nice man.
- Lazy Bum: Holds no interest in school matters, and prefers to relax and play golf.
- Sadistic Teacher: For starters he makes people in detention wear orange jumpsuits and chains.
Actor: Helen Hong
- Asian Rudeness: Seems incapable of going more than a few sentences without insulting someone.
- Card-Carrying Villain
- Child Hater
- Lethal Chef: Her food is barely edible, and she quite happily admits that its often been left over for a long time.
- Mean Boss: To Max and Phoebe when they get jobs working for her.
Actor: Ryan Newman