Some powers are cool, some are awesome, some are lame, some are strange, and some powers are made of pink faeries and glitter! This is a trope for any power that can be described as very, very, girly. Such as:
This doesn't necessarily mean that the user is a girl, just that the power/s have a certain sort of girlyness to them. Sometimes the super cute power is parodied in-universe by showing itself to be useless, leading the other characters to exclaim "What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?
". However, if the cutesy power is Badass
, then it falls under Heart Is an Awesome Power
See also: Heart Beatdown
(which tends to look cute, but it's not really a subtrope, since its concept is "weaponized power of love"), Care Bear Stare
and Tastes Like Diabetes
open/close all folders
Anime & Manga Sunshine Glitter Attack!
- Just about any Magical Girl counts, even Magical Girl Warriors, with sparkles, love hearts, frills and bubbles galore. Averting this tends to be the exception.
- Bleach Orihime Inoue's attacks with fairies made from her hairpins. Granted, her offensive fairy is a bit of a badass for a fairy and her potential abilities are among the greatest in the work, but on paper it's an exceedingly feminine ability.
- Sailor Moon: One Magical Girl of particular note is the pink haired Sailor Chibi Moon's "Pink Sugar Heart Attack" that's every bit as feminine as it sounds.
- Played With in the Lyrical Nanoha series: at the start of the original season, the eponymous protagonist is the Token Mini-Moe of her family and her powers manifest themselves in a pink-and-gold staff with a hot pink jewel that shoots pink beams. It then, however, turns out that little Nanoha is a stone-cold badass and her pink beams-o-friendship are weapons of mass destruction.
- While most Puella Magi Madoka Magica characters avert this (Mami uses magically-created muskets, Kyoko uses a spear, Sayaka uses swords, and Homura uses real life weapons, including grenades and missiles) Madoka plays this 100% straight, with arrows of pink light being her signature weapon. This is to illustrate her All-Loving Hero status, and later her Messianic Archetype status.
Comic-style super colour attack!!!
- Marvel Comics' Squirrel Girl can summon a flurry of squirrels to Zerg Rush an opponent. Though conceived as a Joke Character, Squirrel Girl has defeated Doctor Doom, Thanos and Deadpool, becoming a Memetic Badass in the process.
- "Dazzler: Disco Queen" whose mutant power is effectively to make shiny bright sparkling lights in time to music. In reality, her ability is turning sound into light and vice versa, which has staggering implications, but for the most part it's used for her disco image.
- Jubilee's powers have been described as "sparkles" or "fireworks". When she gets good and pissed they can make explosions, making her an energy-blaster to rival Cyclops. They still look like cute fireworks.
- Dagger of the Cloak & Dagger series can fling "light-knives" at foes, which can pierce armor and act like scalpels to "cut" the wickedness like tumors from her targets. These light-knife attacks appear wrenching and painful on impact, however.
Video Game Pink Puffy Puppy Assault!!!
- Virtual-ON The Fei-Yen series of Virtuaroids are Humongous Mecha modeled after a Magical Girl with a Chest Blaster that fires a burst shaped like a heart. According to the backstory, the designers wanted a regular beam, but the Sentient Phlebotinum kept turning it back into a heart.
- Koishi Komeiji of Touhou uses a lot of hearts and roses in her attacks. However, because of her heavy psychological theme and her own state of mind, they can turn out to be more unnerving than cute.
- Sonya Blade from the Mortal Kombat has a Kiss of Death fatality where she blows a kiss at her opponent. Sometimes the kiss takes the form of a floating fireball, but other games has it be a little pink heart that flitters towards the opponent, and once it hits, the enemy explodes bloodily.
- Pokémon: The Fairy type tend to have a mix of moon-based moves, such as Moonlight and Moonblast, and cute moves that invoke this trope, such as Charm, Sweet Kiss, Baby-Doll Eyes and Disarming Voice.
- Parodied in Team Fortress 2 with Pyrovision, where with the right items the Pyro can appear to shoot people with a rainbow bubble blower and hit them with a giant lollypop, causing them to "bleed" balloons and laugh in joy, while in "reality" the Pyro is still burning people to death.
Webcomic unicorn blast!
- One Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal comic has a little girl guarding Fort Knox who has the ability to make puppies appear. Which she uses to deadly effect. Because she never specified where the puppies will appear from. Such as from inside the villain.
Western Animation Pink Sprinkle Surprise!
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic has the Elements of Harmony, the most powerful magic in Equestria, which are powered by friendship, manifest as jewellery, and when activated fire what is essentially a colossal rainbow cannon, and in season 2 unleashes a World-Healing Wave; it's the illustration of the show's Awesome Moments page for good reason. Same with the Sonic Rainboom, a legendary flight move that creates a rainbow explosion◊ as it breaks the sound barrier.
- In She Zow, SheZow's powers wil not activate if Guy is wearing any colour other than pink. And these powers include the ability to generate hurricane force winds by fluttering his eyeashes.
- The Phineas and Ferb episode "Meap-less in Seattle" has Meap and Mitch attacking each other with what Phineas describes as "really cute death rays."
- Pink Raven from Teen Titans Go! is made of this trope. Down to farting on garbage and turning it into unicorns!