When you speak, I hear silence...
Everybody has a voice in Cloudbank.
Now the city's most influential voices are vanishing one by one.
It is Red's turn.
— Transistor - Reveal Trailer
In the city of Cloudbank, a young singer, known only as Red, is attacked by a mysterious force known as the Process. Her voice lost, transported across town, she finds her friend dead, killed by a mysterious sword called the Transistor. She takes the weapon, containing his soul and voice, and sets out to stop the Process and keep the Transistor out of their hands.
This game is the followup, but not a sequel, to Supergiant Games' previous hit Bastion
. It features the returning voice talent of Logan Cunningham as the voice of the titular weapon. The gameplay is said to be a mix of usual action seen in Bastion and tactical RPG like those of Final Fantasy Tactics. Red can enter planning mode
which can be used to chain attacks and move around at high speed when executing the plan.Will be released sometime early 2014 on Windows, PS4, OS X and Linux
You can watch TotalBiscuit
's uncommentated gameplay footage Here
This game provides examples of:
- Action Dress Rip
- Action Girl: Red.
- Action Survivor: Red was just a singer before taking up the Transistor.
- Back from the Dead: Not collecting Cells dropped from enemies in time will turn them into new Creeps.
- Back Stab: Attacking Processes from behind gives you bonus damage.
- Blown Across the Room: What Crash() and Breach() can do.
- The Chanteuse: Red, before she was forced to fight for her life and lost her voice during the attack.
- Doppelgänger: Each time you attack Younglady, it will Flash Step out of your way and create a 1 HP immobile copy in it's place preventing you from Spam Attack it.
- Establishing Character Moment: The first thing Red does upon learning she's in trouble is cut the lower half of her fancy cocktail dress to bits using the Transistor, and grab her dead friend's jacket. Keep in mind that she's a singer by trade.
- Expy: Gorgeous redheaded singer of high social status who loses her voice and strips off the bottom of her mermaid gown to reveal her legs...
- Flash Step: Jaunt().
- Heroic Mime: Red, lacking a voice, prefers to let her actions do the talking.
- Living Weapon: The titular Transistor, in a sense. It can communicate with those who have been processed and integrate them into itself, gaining new abilities.
- Mighty Glacier: Jerk. Slow moving but tears down covers everywhere it goes.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The Processes.
- Shout Out: Attacks and skills in planning mode are stylized like names of functions in (most) programming languages. Transistor says "Hello world" at one point near the beginning.
- Super Speed: When executing the plan, Red will enter this state. After that the planning mode will enter a cooldown which disables most of her skills except Jaunt.
- Take Cover: Encouraged.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Red, Type A.