That Wasn't a Request
Freakshow: It seems... I need your help.
Danny: You miserable freak! Why would I help you?!That's an Order, which is said by a commander to a subordinate to show that they're pulling rank and that things are not up for discussion. "That wasn't a request" is said by people who have no official command over others but, for the moment, are ordering them around anyway; there is no reason for the person to cooperate except that the person giving the order is about to use force to back up their demand, whatever it may be.
Examples:Anime and Manga
- In the English dub of Digimon Adventure, Myotismon tells Kari to hand over her newly acquired Applied Phlebotinum:
Kari: No!Myotismon: That wasn't a request!
- The English dub of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX:
Adrian: Come with me, Echo.Echo: I don't want to go with you, you're scaring me.Adrian: That wasn't a request!
- In the English dub of Dragon Ball Z this is how Piccolo takes Gohan away for training.
Piccolo: I'm taking this boy for training to prepare for the Saiyans' arrival.Roshi: I can understand why, but you'll have to ask his mother.Piccolo: I'm not asking! I'm telling!
- In Hamtaro, Boss demands something of the other hamsters, who are hesitant to do it. Boss cracks his knuckles and asks "Did you see a question mark?"
- In One Piece, Don Krieg's attempt to get the ocean-going restaurant Baratie to serve him and his crew food goes something like this. The chefs know that Krieg will attack the Baratie once they're done eating, but Krief makes it clear that refusal is one thing he doesn't tolerate. Then Zeff hands him a sack of food and tells the other chefs to get ready for a fight.
Dr. Manhattan: Pay attention. You will all return to your homes.Protester: Oh yeah? And what if we don't, ya big blue fruit?Dr. Manhattan: You misunderstand me. It was not a request. <Teleports them all to their respective homes>
- Joss Whedon's run on X-Men gives a rare inversion when a Breakworlder points a gun at Kitty and Colossus.
Alien: Rasputin and Pryde. You will come with us.Colossus: It's unlikely.Alien: Your translators are primitive. It is not an order. We are asking. We are asking for your trust.
- Played with in The Guyver when Mizky is held hostage by Zoanoids:
Sean: Let her go!Lisker: [Laughs] Is that a request?Sean: [Activates Powered Armor] I said, "Let her go."
- The Devil Wears Prada:
Miranda: You have no style or sense of fashion.Andy: Well, I think that depends on -Miranda: No, no. That wasn't a question.
- Disney's Beauty and the Beast:
Beast: (to Belle) You will join me for dinner! That's not a request!
- Also appears in Disney's Frozen:
Anna: I need you to take me to the North Mountain.Kristoff: I don't take people places.Anna: Let me rephrase that. (tosses bag of supplies at him) Take me to the North Mountain... please.
- The heroes of David Eddings' Belgariad are quite fond of this; one such example is as follows:
Ce'Nedra: In the absence of King Belgarion, it appears that I must act in his stead, and I need your advice on how to proceed. I wish the transfer of power into my hands to go as smoothly as possible.Rhodar: (after a bout of incredulity) An interesting proposal, your Highness. We have, however, made other arrangements. There's a long-standing precedent in the matter. We thank your Highness for her gracious offer nonetheless.Ce'Nedra: It wasn't precisely an offer, your Majesty, and any previous precedents have been superseded.
- Discworld's Thud!: Vimes is attempting to investigate the death of a prominent dwarf community leader, but is being stymied by another dwarf:
Helmclever: "I refuse to comply with your request!"Vimes: "It wasn't a request."
- This exchange in Firefly:
Badger: I thought we might have a bit of a sit-down.Mal: I'd prefer a bit of a piss off.Badger: I'm very sorry, did I give you the impression I was askin'?
Simon: I'm not sure that's such a good suggestion...Mal: Best not mistake it for a suggestion.
- Mal himself is fond of the expression:
Wash: I'm not leaving her, Mal! Don't ask me again!
- Seen more dramatically in "Out of Gas", when Mal orders Wash away from Zoe's bedside after she's critically injured.
Mal: I wasn't askin'. I was tellin'.
- In Doctor Who, the Doctor tells a woman who wants to fight the Silurians to hand over a weapon. She refuses, and he tells her that right now "he's being nice".
- The Italian from Leverage says this through a translator in her first appearance.
My employer wishes you to understand that that was not a request. We will not be providing warrants. You will provide us with all the files you have on Nathan Ford, or you will find yourself under state, federal, and international investigation.
- Fiddler on the Roof: When Perchik and Hodel tell Tevye (Hodel's father) of their engagement and he blusters that he won't allow it:
Hodel: You don't understand, Papa.
Tevye (patiently): You're not listening. I say no. I'm sorry, Hodel, but we'll find someone else for you, here in Anatevka.
Perchik: Reb Tevye.
Tevye: What is it?
Perchik: We are not asking for your permission, only for your blessing. We are going to get married.
- Transformers: Fall of Cybertron has this exchange between Megatron and Optimus:
Megatron: No one leaves without my permission!
Optimus Prime: I wasn't asking.
- In Girl Genius, when the background exposition on Castle Heterodyne is being delivered:
- in Too Much Information Jaz told Ace to marry her after encountering his baking. When he expressed amusement, she responded with this trope.
- A slight variation on the format in Dragon Ball Abridged:
Freeza: I have a question for you though.Piccolo: What's that?Freeza: Die.Piccolo: That's... not a ques- [gets punched into a mountain.]Freeza: That's because I don't do requests.
- This exchange in Grandmaster of Theft
Gale: Seeing as you've concluded your business with her, you should not be pressed to conduct some with me now, would you? I've just a couple of questions to ask.Cassidy: It's an attractive offer, but I've no interest in discussing such matters on top of a train.Gale: I'm sorry to say that was a rhetorical question. The rest of these won't be. If the setting is not to your liking. I could always arrange to take you elsewhere where you'd be more willing to chat.
- The 90s X-Men series had Cyclops kidnapped underground by the leader of the Morlocks, Callisto:
Callisto: (Caressing Cyclops' face) You agreed to stay.Cyclops: Sorry, not interested.Callisto: That wasn't a request!
- The Simpsons episode, "Strong Arms of the Ma" has a rather unsettling example when Marge takes up bodybuilding and wants to have sex with Homer the night before a contest:
Marge: (aggressively throws Homer right side up, and pins herself on him) Let's do it.Homer: (giggles nervously) Err, listen my bulky flower, I have a long day at work tomorrow..Marge: I wasn't asking.