Love 'til it hurts.
In a nutshell, a character who uses Love
as one of their Elemental Powers
A character with this power is fueled by or themed around innocence, love, beauty, attraction
. Because these are more feelings than a proper element, the abilities of the user will have to do a lot with their personality and the general tone of the series. The user is almost Always Female
The signature and tell tale sign that this element is at work is when a character makes Heart Symbols
show up during their moves, or if they take the place of sparks, stars and explosions during physical impacts.
If they do their own fighting, expect their style to be very feminine
. They tend to be associated with slap attacks
and dance moves
, and suggestive butt attacks
and kissing attacks
If they're not the fighting type, a character with this element will use Intimate Healing
or the Kiss of Life
. May be able to purify their opponents and empower their allies
or seduce and hypnotize them
. Usually through magic or weapons that act like concentrated Love Potions
or hyper potent pheromones
in more 'realistic' settings.
With rare exception, good or evil, the character will be very attractive
. Male examples are usually only played straight if their girlfriends are nearby
. Otherwise they'll be Played for Laughs
or as Fan Disservice
of The Power of Love
. Sister Trope
to Holy Hand Grenade
. Super Trope
to Projectile Kiss
Compare Care Bear Stare
, The Power of Love
, Heart Is an Awesome Power
, What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?
. See also Super Cute Super Powers
(this tends to look cute, but it's not really a subtrope, since this concept is "weaponized power of love").
Has nothing to do with
using a heart as an Improvised Weapon
to apply a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown
Anime & Manga
- A Sailor-suited Pretty Soldier of Love and Justice: Sailor Moon! - her attacks are the only ones that purify their opponents. Also Moon Spiral Heart Attack (the page image) and Rainbow Moon Heart Ache slam her opponents with a giant heart that shatters on impact. It's quite lovely.
- Soldier of Love and Beauty, Sailor Venus! - The Love Me Chain and Love and Beauty Shock are made of Heart Symbols. She also uses Rolling Heart Vibration in the manga and live action series.
- For Love and Justice, Sailor Chibi Moon! - The Pink Sugar Heart Attack sends tiny Heart Symbols to pelt opponents, though its effectiveness varies. The manga also had her team up with Sailor Moon to use Rainbow Double Moon Heart Ache.
- "Warrior of Love, Cutie Honey!"
- Digimon Frontier: Kazemon's 'Love Tap' attack, induces infatuation after an Ass Kicks You. However, hitting things with her butt rarely did her much good.
- Mobile Fighter G Gundam provides what probably is the most over-the-top example of this trope in Mecha Anime. In the grand finale, Domon and Rain (now the Official Couple after Domon delivers an Anguished Declaration of Love to Rain, breaking her free from the Devil Gundam) perform the Sekiha Love-Love Tenkyoken, a move that actually leaves a heart-shaped mark in the Devil Gundam's chest.
- Naruto: Fuka, from one of the filler arcs, seduces opponents and uses the Kiss of Death to steal their powers. Also blows magical kisses in the opening sequence.
- There are two characters in One Piece who have love-based attacks, though in different ways. Boa Hancock can turn anyone attracted to her into stone (she does this through heart-shaped attacks such as heart beams or heart arrows that turn people to stone on contact). Emporio Ivankov is a Creepy Crossdresser whose attacks include throwing winks, which have oddly immense destructive power.
- Those who have seen Macademi Wasshoi are familiar with the thing known only as Halpshiel◊. An Angel of love and former teacher, he was exiled for forcibly French-kissing the entire student body and faculty. Among other grievances.
- In Yes! Pretty Cure 5, Cure Dream has heart as her element.
- So does Mew Ichigo in Tokyo Mew Mew.
- The Love Angels in Wedding Peach do this.
- In Shugo Chara!, Amu's Amulet Heart transformation has a definite heart motif, as does her Open Heart attack.
- The spell "Marin Karin" in some Shin Megami Tensei games also deals moderate damage as well as the Charm ailment.
- Melonpanna from Anpanman has the "Mero-Mero Punch", (mero-mero meaning lovesickness), which causes her enemies to become immobilized by love, leaving them open for attack from the other heroes. Also, thanks to her Melon Juice being a component of her big sister Rollpanna's good heart, she can use this to bring her out from her evil heart side.
- Desiree Atkins, one of the Freak of the Weeks in Smallville, used pheromones from her breath, which looked like a pink smoke, to seduce men into killing each other for her.
- Hathor did much the same on Stargate SG-1. It proved fortunate that the SGC has women too.
- Older Than Feudalism: Eros (Cupid) had the power to make others fall in love by shooting them with golden arrows, starting with the 5th-century BCE tragedian Euripides.
- Modern popculture portrayals typically take care of the Heart Symbol associations.
- Many mythologies have their own gods and goddesses of love, desire, beauty and eroticism.
- Princess Peach from the Mario series, especially in the spinoffs and sports games.
- Soul Calibur: Cassandra in her critical finish
- The hero of the first Arcana Heart game, and playable character in the sequels, Aino Heart (add a space, and it literally translates to "Heart of love") has a heart and love-based motif. Her ahoge is in the shape of a heart, her signature move is "Heart No Punchee", several of her attacks show a heart animation, and her Arcana is Partinias, the Arcana of love.
- The Attract move from Pokémon sends hearts to infatuate the opponent, giving them a 50/50 chance of deciding to fight back.
- Additionally the Jynx evolution family, and their iconic moves Sweet Kiss and Lovely Kiss, use kisses to a variety of effects.
- The second stage Viewtiful Switch move in Viewtiful Joe 2 has Joe and Silvia hold hands and spin around before making a cute little pose. This creates a heart that damages all enemies onscreen.
- Additionally, if you look closely at the rounds fired from Silvia's pistols while in VFX Slow, you'll notice that there are hearts inside of her bullets.
- In Final Fight Revenge, Poison can use a Kiss of Death as a projectile, complete with heart symbols.
- Love Freak Flonne from Disgaea: Hour of Darkness has a healing spell called The Power of Love and an attack called Holy Arrows which is a volley of explosive arrows shaped like hearts.
- Chalis (Heart in Japan) from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, is heavily associated with hearts. While it mostly plays into a tarot or playing card theme, she is known for seducing men to manipulate them and has some attacks that come across this way (Illusion Perfume, Scornful Caress).
- In Kid Icarus: Uprising, the Angel Bow and Viridi Palm both shoot heart-shaped projectiles. Amazon Pandora does this too.
- Roll.EXE. She's the only female NetNavi in the main cast, so to go along with her "girl" motif, hearts feature prominently in a lot of her attacks. She can also heal other NetNavis, presumably by dropping giant, pink hearts on top of them.
- Nikki from Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis posesses a skill called Heart Cracker, which bears the appropriate description "sometimes, love can hurt". It has no visible heart motif, but using it as the finishing blow to beast-type enemies allows her to charm them and collect heart-shaped items, which can then be used to summon creatures of the same species in subsequent battles. The upgraded version, Heartful Action, reads "Stronger love hurts more."
- Pamela can also summon a skeletal ghost with heart themed armor.
- A subtle example that lacks the heart motif and is entirely missable if you used a name for the "favorite thing" that wasn't the default, but Lucas from MOTHER 3 has this in the form of PK Love, his only damage-based PSI attack; the Ω version is the most powerful in the game next to Kumatora's PK Ground. Definitely on the innocence and love side of the scale though, given the character.
- Touhou gives us Marisa Kirisame, whose Signature Move is a spellcard named Love Sign: Master Spark. One of her fight themes is Love Colored Master Spark.
- Jordie's Holy Smite spell in Our Little Adventure.
- In 8-Bit Theater Black Mage is technically this — his preferred attack is a beam of destruction fueled by love. As in, using it reduces the total amount of love in the universe, causing a measurable increase in the divorce rate.
- Cytherea of the Whateley Universe uses this as her go-to power. Not surprising, since she's the avatar of Aphrodite.
- In Thalia's Musings, Love Goddess Aphrodite is acknowledged as the only goddess with the power to influence the Fates. She's very temperamental about when, how, and on whom she bestows her powers.
- In Suburban Knights, Ma-Ti uses his 'heart' power to kick Malachite's ass.
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic: Princess Cadance' magical ability is bringing love to others and mending broken relationships. In the second episode of the season two finale, Queen Chrysalis is taken out by her and Shining Armor with a massive explosion of pure love that reforms the Deflector Shields and ejects her and her Changeling subjects out of Canterlot and over the horizon. The background music is even called "Love Conquers All".
- Also, Queen Chrysalis and her fellow changelings gain power by impersonating others and feeding on the love from their loved ones. Chrysalis was able to win a Beam-O-War with Celestia (surprising even Chrysalis herself) after posing as Cadence for a while, during the preparations for Shining Armor and Cadence's wedding.
- Note that Queen Chrysalis also embodies this trope in as much as she gains magical power from love, and uses mind-control, and perhaps mundane romance, to affect her "food".
- Cadance's love shield in the Season 3 two-parter opener is capable of repelling and hurting King Sombra.
- Every unicorn has magic based on their special talent, and Cadence is an alicorn, meaning Physical God tier, whose special talent is bringing/mending love. Basically, she is The Power of Love. That goes double with her and Shining Armor being Happily Married.