Western Animation / Barbie in Princess Power
Barbie in Princess Power
is a Barbie
movie released in March 2015.
Barbie stars as Kara, a modern-day princess with an everyday life. One day, after being kissed by a magical butterfly, Kara soon discovers she has amazing super powers allowing her to transform into Super Sparkle, her secret, crime-fighting alter ego who flies around the kingdom ready to save the day!
But it's not long before her jealous cousin Corinne catches the butterfly and also transforms - this time into Dark Sparkle, her nemesis. Their rivalry takes to the skies, but when they discover the kingdom's true enemy, can they put aside their differences to form one super team?
The trailer can be seen here
This movie contains examples of:
- Ageless Birthday Episode: Kara has a birthday party during the film with no mention of her age.
- Animal Superheroes: Newton (the dog), Parker (the cat), and Bruce (the frog) end up as superheroes as well.
- Animal-Themed Superbeing: Madison and Makalya's costumes both have butterfly motifs, as a butterfly was relevant to the plot.
- Award-Bait Song: "Soaring".
- Butt-Monkey: Wes Rivers always spills his coffee on him.
- Cat Up a Tree: Kara discovers she can fly while she was trying to rescue Parker, her cat stuck in a tree.
- Clark Kenting: As Super Sparkle, Kara wears a Domino Mask to hide her identity.
- Dark Action Girl: Dark Sparkle is Super Sparkle's nemesis.
- Energy Ball: As Super Sparkle, Kara can fire energy blasts out of her hands.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Kara is princess of the land. Corinne, Gabby and Zooey have the title too.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles: Their super names have "sparkle", and their suits are practically covered with glitter.
- Flying Firepower: Super Sparkle can fly, has super strength, and can fire energy blasts out of her hands. She also leaves an energy trail when flying.
- Gadgeteer Genius: Madison and Makalya are not only this, they are geeks, and quite aware about super hero tropes.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Kara's cousin Corinne is jealous of her abilities and becomes Dark Sparkle to show her up. She was already jealous of her even before she gained powers, annoyed at her complaining that being a princess is not enough, which adds to her jealousy of Kara always wanting more.
- Heart Beatdown: Kara's energy blasts are pink and sparkly, and she forms them in the shape of a heart at one point.
- Heel–Face Turn: Dark Sparkle performs one to help Kara defeat the Baron.
- It's All About Me: Corinne.
- Lava is Boiling Kool-Aid: In the climax.
- Magical Girl: One of the few western examples, although Princess Kara / Super Sparkle is really more of a "magical comic book superhero".
- Mythology Gag: As is common in Barbie movies, a name used in a past movie crops up. Corrine was also the name of Barbie's character in Barbie and the Three Musketeers.
- No Respect Guy: Wes Rivers. The cops ignore his questions and walk off.
- Obviously Evil: With a name like Baron von Ravendale, is there any doubt he's evil?
- Reconstruction: After numerous deconstructions (both in comics and in various adaptations), this movie marks a return to the more whimsical, hopeful, and idealistic superhero stories.note
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: Kara wanted to do more than just smile and wave.
- Shout-Out: To many other super heroes:
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: This movie tends to have a more comical tone than its predecessors, thus Kara is one of the clumsiest Barbie characters along with Blair. She notably tends to hit her head on the same tree regularly, much to her dismay.
- Super Empowering: The magic butterfly gave both Kara and Corinne their powers.
- Superhero: Kara becomes the crime-fighting Super Sparkle.
- Superhero Episode
- Superheroes Wear Capes: And these ones flare out to fly.
- Super Strength: One of the superpowers Kara and Corinne gain is super strength.
- Team Pet: Kara has Parker, a cat and Newton, a dog, while the Baron has a frog, Bruce.