Creator: Anderson Cooper
Anderson Hays Cooper (born June 3, 1967) is an American journalist, author, and television personality. During college, Cooper spent two summers as an intern at the Central Intelligence Agency. Although he technically has no formal journalistic education, he opted to pursue a career in journalism rather than stay with the agency after school, having been a self-proclaimed "news junkie" since he was "in utero." After Cooper graduated from Yale University, he tried to gain entry-level employment with ABC, but was unsuccessful. Finding it hard to get his foot in the door of on-air reporting, Cooper decided to enlist the help of a friend in making a fake press pass. At the time, Cooper was working as a fact checker for the small news agency Channel One, which produces a youth-oriented news program that is broadcast to many junior high and high schools in the United States. Cooper then entered Myanmar on his own with his forged press pass and met with students fighting the Burmese government. He was ultimately able to sell his home-made news segments to Channel One. Persuading Channel One to allow him to bring a Hi-8 camera with him, Anderson soon began filming and assembling reports of Vietnamese life and culture that aired on Channel One. He later returned to filming stories from a variety of war-torn regions around the globe, including Somalia, Bosnia, and Rwanda.
Media Cooper has been involved with:
- CNN: Anderson Cooper 360
- How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying revival
- The Mole
- Featured in Fake News Rumble
- The Glee character Cooper Anderson is named after him.
Tropes pertaining to Mr. Cooper:
- Adorkable: Just check any video of him cracking up on air.
- Banned in China
- The Big Board: For elections.
- Blue Blood: As far as American money is concerned: He is a son of the Vanderbilts.
- Corpsing: Reporting on Dyngus Day as well as during several Ridiculist segments. Who can blame the guy?
- Dead Line News: Nearly decapitated by a flying street sign while reporting on Katrina. And getting malaria in the middle of South Africa.
- Heroic Bystander / Badass Normal: Lots of journalists are content to merely record the events of wherever they go. Cooper, no so much.
- Lampshade Hanging: of Reality Show Genre Blindness, during his run on The Mole.Don't you guys know how this game works? If you say you don't like to cook, you know you're going to end up cooking. You say you like to cook, you don't get to cook!
- Manly Gay: Comes with being a serious news anchor.
- Non-Idle Rich: Again, his mother is Gloria Vanderbilt.
- Open Secret: Cooper's sexuality was pretty well known before he came out, but he decided to make it official in 2012.
- Pass the Popcorn: While airing clips of the Rod Blagojevich ...mess.
- Picky Eater: Doesn't like hot foods or drinks.
- Sesame Street Cred: Appears in the Season 38 finale of Sesame Street, which is itself a parody of high-end TV journalism.
- Silver Fox: He's one of the page images.
- Two First Names: For extra points, "Anderson" and "Cooper" are both more common as last names than first names, though both common.
- Vitriolic Best Buds / Odd Friendship: Serious Cooper and cheery Kathy Griffin
- The War on Terror: Reporting on 9/11
- Your Approval Fills Me with Shame: Not pleased to be endorsed by Chris Dorner.