"Not Bad For 40 Years Old!"
The Jason Ellis Show is a talk show that airs on Sirius XM satellite radio, Channel 41, every day from 12pm to 4pm Pacific time, Monday to Friday (3pm to 7pm on the East Coast). While it originally started off as a place for Jason Ellis to just pick his own music and talk about it a little bit, he very quickly grew bored of just being a DJ, and decided to launch himself into radio history.
Jason was born in Sandringham, Australia, and dreamed of becoming the greatest skateboarder in the world. After years of dedication and winning local competitions, he moved to America with no money and quickly joined up with the then-new field of extreme sports. He became friends with Tony Hawk and other celebrities, and spent his time sleeping on people's couches, doing drugs, nailing prostitutes and winning skateboarding competitions (sometimes all four in one day).
After some guest spots on Tony's radio, he got a sweet gig as a DJ, and transformed it into, in his own words, "the circus of my mind". Topics can and have been virtually anything, from discussing ST Ds
to rap music to transgender porn stars to skateboarding to fancy chocolates (again, sometimes all on the same show). Several celebrities are official friends of the show, including Thomas Haden Church
, Rob Corddry
, Malin Akerman
, B-Real, Rude Jude, and many, many porn stars. Jason's biography, "I'm Awesome", ranked high on the New York Times Bestseller list in its opening week, and has remained there. The show has recently been confirmed to be the #1 show on Sirius XM satellite radio, ahead even of Howard Stern's live listenership, and in August 2013 was granted a brand new studio, professional producers and significantly more clout in the corporation.
The current line-up is Jason Ellis himself, Josh "Raw Dog" Richmond
, and Michael Tully, who went to Oxford University and co-write Jason's biography.
Current segments on the show:
- Dude, Is It Gay?
- Dude, Am I A Slut?
- Bill The Scorpion
- World's Greatest Wednesday
- Who Gives A Fuck Friday
- Severed Foot News
- Human Slampig News
- Big F***ing Animals with Donald Schultz
New segments are added almost weekly. The three hosts also have had multiple bands, starting out as 'Taintstick', retiring early with their failure to become 'Death! Death! Die!', who dominated the iTunes metal charts for several weeks. They have jammed with Mastodon, Everlast and Mark McGrath
Tropes Experienced By The Show, The Band and Jason's Actual Life
- Aborted Arc: Given two of the hosts have the attention span of a THAT DOG HAS A FLUFFY TAIL...
- The Parade Of Pain: "We're doing this!"
- Ellis Mini Moto Mania: "We're doing this!"
- Ellismania in Vancouver: "We're doing this!"
- Broadcasting from Afghanistan: "We're doing this!"
- As Long as It Sounds Foreign: Much fuss has been made about Jason's thick Australian accent.
- Ascended Extra: Raw Dog was originally on for just one week. Played with later on, as nearly every intern and producer has been dragged, kicking and screaming, into the daily fold of the show and promptly humiliated.
- Except for notable intern Schumacher, a veteran of the latest Afghanistan war and one of the few people Jason genuinely respected.
- Ascended Fanboy: So many of the show's biggest fans have become celebrities in their own right, either through repeated call-ins to being showcased on Ellis's television show 'Ellismania' to ending up romantically attached to famous transsexual adult film stars (sometimes all three).
- Badass: Jason Ellis, in addition to being a world-champion skateboarder, motocross rider and light-truck racer, is also an undefeated MMA fighter.
- Who handily knocked out professional UFC fighter and former WEC champion Gabe Ruediger. Damn.
- Ruediger, who claims that the fight was rigged, challenged him to a rematch. Both fighters are taking this one VERY seriously.
- Butt Monkey: It doesn't matter what Raw Dog does or says, he will always end up being kicked, shocked, bitten, soaked, body-pig-punched, or some other torture. For several months, the torture of choice was having his testicles placed into a spiked ball-collar, which was then attached to a high-powered remote-control car, and then the car would be accelerated anytime he said something Jason didn't like.
- Hours and hours of radio time have also been devoted to the minutiae of Raw Dog's anal hygiene, sexuality, masturbatory habits, speech impediment and general inability to perform simple tasks, sometimes dominating the entire show.
- The interns have also had their fair share of torture. Kevin "Kumfat" Kraft had his eyebrows shaved and his own pubic hair superglued onto his face where his eyebrows used to be.
- Bragging Theme Tune: Thanks to show friends the Jingleberries, Jason has several hundred short, boastful songs at his disposal, though a good number of them also humiliate or degrade Raw Dog. Several of the songs are about nothing other than Jason's penis size.
- Most of the Taintstick and Death! Death! Die! songs are also extremely boastful.
- Cluster F-Bomb: A staple of the show.
- "Fucking, just do the fucking, god-dammit, fucking Raw Dog, just put the fucking collar on! Fuck!" is a particularly tame example.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: A staple of the show.
- Shock collar on the testicles.
- Shock collar pictionary.
- Spiked testicle collars.
- "Let the lizard bite you! LET IT!"
- Repeatedly punching someone (Raw Dog) in the gut while he tries to make animal noises.
- THREE shock collars at once.
- Deadpan Snarker: The entire reason Tully is on the show. He is very intelligent, witty, eloquent and has excellent comic timing, and brings a slightly more dry tone to the show, contrasting the highly-nervous Raw Dog and the adrenaline-junkie Ellis.
- Evil Twin: GODWAR!
- Gender Bender: When the all-male regular cast busts out the Voice Altermacation machine and pitch-change their voices, their female alter egos are perhaps best described as 'nauseatingly crude cock-hungry whores'. At least, that's how they describe themselves.
- Groin Attack: It just wouldn't be Who Gives A Fuck Friday without some testicular pain.
- Hidden Depths: Jason normally tries to conceal his non-psycho-fighting-and-swearing side, but every now and then he brings it out either to remind the listeners, or remind himself, that he is: a loving father, a motivational speaker, a survivor of near-fatal drug addictions and incestual child abuse.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: He plays it up for laughs, and fodder for his book. His parents' friends having sex with him while he was still in grade school, being forced to shoot animals in the face, going along with his dad's street races that sometimes ended with gunfire, witnessing brutal drunken beatings, and the list goes on. Perhaps some of the crack, heroin and meth can be forgiven, hmm?
- It Makes Sense in Context: Also a staple of the show, particularly the thirty-second rejoins where the best out-of-context bites are spliced together.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: The show waffles between drinking-while-loading-the-shotgun cynicism and depression, and everything-is-fucking-awesome-forever glory. Usually before halftime.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Tully is, at best, an average-looking, pudgy Irish guy. His wife is a gorgeous Asian fashion designer.
- Wimp Fight: Raw Dog has a professional fight record of 1 win, 4 losses... fighting girls smaller than him.