Recap: Supernatural S 08 E 01 We Need To Talk About Kevin
Season 8, Episode 1
We Need to Talk About Kevin
"The rules are simple, Sam. You don't take a joint from a guy named Don and there's no dogs in the car!"
One year after killing
the leader of the leviathans
, Dick Roman
emerges from Purgatory
, with a vampire
, in tow. The two part ways, and Dean quickly reunites
; however, he's surprised to find out that in their year apart, Sam has stopped hunting
. They soon discover that Kevin
has escaped Crowley's
clutches, and Sam agrees to drop everything
to help Dean find him. In order to find Kevin, they visit his old girlfriend Channing
who has actually been possessed by a demon and alerts Crowley. When they track down Kevin, he has learned a lot about defeating Leviathans and Demons, and escaped from Crowley on his own. He has even learned how to close all the gates to hell forever, but the tablet with this information was left in a safe place. Two demons arrive at the church
, where Kevin is hiding. After Sam and Dean manage to kill these demons with Ruby's knife, Crowley and the possessed Channing arrive. Crowley offers to spare Channing's life if Kevin is willing to work for him. Kevin agrees and says he needs to get his things. Dean tries to attack Crowley, but Crowley makes Ruby's knife become too hot for Dean to hold. When Crowley goes to look for Kevin, he is doused with holy water
Kevin had rigged above the door. This allows Kevin and the Winchesters to escape, but Crowley kills Channing
in retaliation. Throughout the episode, we see flashbacks
of how Sam met a veterinarian
after hitting a dog with his car, and how Dean met Benny in Purgatory.
- 10-Minute Retirement
- Action Survivor: Kevin
- Adopt the Dog: Quite literally for Sam. Although one has to wonder about a veterinarian who forces a person to adopt a recently injured dog, when the person admits they do not want and are not equipped to take care of a dog.
- Artistic License - Traditional Christianity: Purgatory is generally portrayed as a place where souls which are still impure can undergo redemption and enter Heaven, but this is an Averted Trope in Supernatural. As Purgatory is where God imprisoned the Leviathans and then decided to use it to contain the souls of other monsters, instead of sending them to Heaven or Hell.
- Asian and Nerdy:
Sam: Maybe we should split up, ask around, see if anybody's seen him.
Dean: Yeah, Asian kid, yea high, at a university. That should be easy.
- Attack Hello: Dean's greeting for Sam.
Sam: Dean, can I just say hello?
- Black Eyes of Evil: Channing's eyes flash when she reveals herself as a demon and kills her roommate.
- The Bechdel Test: The demon possessing Channing says to her roommate, "Shut up, Bitch." But, the rest of their conversation was about Kevin or Kyle.
- Blood Brothers: Benny calls Dean his brother, Foreshadowing Episode 5 of this season.
- Blood Magic: The demon possessing Channing kills Channing's roommate and uses the Goblet of Blood to communicate with Crowley.
- Blood-Splattered Warrior: Dean's first appearance.
- Bucket Booby-Trap: Holy water over the door by Kevin.
- Bullet Proof Fashion Plate: Besides blood splatter Dean's neatly trimmed hair and clothes survive purgatory fine. Actually all of the creatures in purgatory do not seem to suffer from Clothing Damage despite the clothes seeming to date from the era they died in and having a Limited Wardrobe.
- Catchphrase: Crowley's "Hello Boys."
- Circling Monologue: Benny and Dean's first meeting.
- Colonel Kilgore:
Dean: It was bloody, messy; 31 flavors of bottom dwelling nasties. Hell, most days felt like 360 degree combat. But there was something about being there...felt pure.
- Continuity Nod:
- When Dean sees the Impala he says, "No visible signs of douchery" recalling the iPod in "Lazarus Rising".
- The Demon possessing Channing communicates with Crowley using a goblet filled with blood, a form of communication we have seen between demons and other non-demon supernatural characters before:
- Cryptic Conversation: When Sam asks about purgatory, Dean is rather vague and avoids many of Sam's questions in a manner combining Aloof Big Brother and Shell-Shocked Veteran.
- Daywalking Vampire: Benny, like most of Supernatural's vampires.
- Deadpan Snarker:
Dean: How many words of God are there?
Kevin: I just became a prophet like a year ago.
Amelia: There's my hero.
- Deggans Rule: Passed, Channing and Kevin.
- Demonic Possession
- Despair Event Horizon: Sam; after everyone in his family is presumed dead, he stops hunting.
- Don't Go in the Woods: The two campers in the opening scene are lucky this is a Subverted Trope.
- Double Entendre:
Benny: Suit yourself. Maybe you've gone native. Maybe you like being man meat for every Tom, Dick, and Harry.
- Deus Exit Machina: Castiel did not return from purgatory.
- Enemy Mine: There seems to be true affection in the banter and hug between Benny, the vampire, and Dean, suggesting they are Fire-Forged Friends.
- Epic Riff: "Locomotive Breath" by Jethro Tull plays over The Road So Far.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Dean in purgatory.
- Fangs Are Evil: Dean calls Benny a dental apocalypse.
- Fake American: Ty Olsson who plays Benny with the Louisiana accent is actually a Canadian.
- The Fellowship Has Ended: Sam assumed everybody was dead and went on to a new life.
Dean: So you turned tail on the family business?
Sam: Nothing says family quite like the whole family being dead.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- Gilded Cage:
Crowley: Look at you. Haircut, manicure, pedicure. Like a new penny.
Kevin: Will there be torture now?
Crowley: Torture? Heavens, no. No quite the opposite, my young prince. Sky's the limit for you and I.
- Gold Digger: Channing and her roommate, who say the status of Princeton was why she was dating Kevin. Although it's possible Channing's demon is doing the talking to mislead Sam and Dean.
- Hell Gate
- Heroes Love Dogs: Well at least Sam. This seems like a Subverted Trope for Dean.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- Ty Olsson who plays Benny previously appeared as Captain Aaron Kelly in Battlestar Galactica.
- Liane Balaban who plays Amelia also played Anna Levy in Alphas.
- Hollywood Hacking:
Sam: I went to the computer lab and found the computer he was on. And found the website he was visiting, found his account username, hacked into the website, found when else this username logged in, and then I reverse tracked the IP address back to the original user, Kevin, who has been apparently using the same wireless router for the past 2 months.
- Hug and Comment:
Sam: I don't know whether to give you a hug or take a shower.
- I Did What I Had to Do: Dean threatens the campers at gunpoint and steals their backpack. Although, after a year in purgatory the gun probably was not loaded.
- I Have Your Ex-Girlfriend
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Sam is reluctant to leave Home Sweet Home and Love Interest, but does meet Dean at Rufus's cabin and agree to help him.
- Important Haircut: Kevin's shorter hair reflects his new harder personality.
- Impostor Exposing Test: Dean puts Sam through a barrage of these and then insists Sam do the same to him.
- In-Series Nickname: Crowley continues to refer to Sam as Moose.
- Ironic Echo:
Dean: All Iím sayiní is, you vanish like that again, Iím not lookiní for ya.
- To what Dean says in this episode.
Dean: Good. No that's good. We always told each other not to look for each other. That's smart. Good for you. Of course we always ignored that because of our deep abiding love for each other. But not this time, right Sammy?
- Kindly Vet: Amelia
- Literary Allusion Title: We Need to Talk About Kevin
- Machete Mayhem: Dean snatches a handmade machete off of one of Purgatory's locals.
- Meal Ticket: Benny refers to himself as this, as he has a way out of purgatory, although it comes out a little like a Double Entendre.
Dean holding up his handmade machete: I won't shove this up you ass.
Benny: Awful strange way to punch a meal ticket, friend. I got something you need.
- Monogender Monsters: All of the monsters we see in Purgatory are male.
- Neck Snap: Channing's death.
- Never Found the Body: Dean says that Cas did not make it, but does not say he saw him die.
Sam: "Did you see him die?"
Dean: "I saw enough."
- No One Gets Left Behind: Dean insists they find Cas before leaving Purgatory.
- Not Staying for Breakfast: Sam packs and leaves while Amelia remains in bed.
- Ominous Latin Chanting:
- Anima. Corpori. Fuerit corpus totem resurgent. Which translates as "Soul. Body. Whole body shall be raised."
- Inferni clamavi ad te regem sermonos meos. Which means "I have cried to you king of hell, my word."
- Our Souls Are Different / Our Vampires Are Different: Generally Vampires are portrayed as having no souls (why they don't have shadows or reflections), but Benny's soul is seen as a rosy glowing light writhing under the skin of Dean's arm. Once Dean opens Benny's grave, Benny's soul is reunited with his body.
- Our Zombies Are Different / Our Vampires Are Different: Since Benny is a Vampire brought back from the dead, does that make him a Vampire-Zombie?
- Perma Shave: Dean's hair looked very well kept for someone in purgatory for a year.
- Point of No Return: Kevin struggles with realizing he has reached this point throughout the episode, but it is brought home after Channing's murder.
- Power Ballad:
- "A Man in the Wilderness" plays as Dean leaves the 100 mile wilderness of Maine and travels to Louisiana.
Another year has passed me by
Still I look at myself and cry
What kind of man have I become?
- Properly Paranoid: First rule of Purgatory, according to Benny: "you can't trust nobody."
- Pure Is Not Good:
Dean: Hell most days felt like 360 degree combat. But there was something about being there...it felt pure.
- Putting the Band Back Together: The Winchester brothers and the Impala are reunited.
- Race Fetish: Invoked Trope
Channing's Roommmate: Okay this guy is Kyle. He's Jewish. Uhm, I'm pretty sure he has an Asian thing.
- Refusal of the Call: Sam didn't even check his messages to hear the call, but realizes he Can't Stay Normal.
- '70s Hair: Sam's locks have become even longer. Lampshaded by Crowley -
Crowley: Moose, still with the pork chops. I admire that.
- Sharing a Body: Dean transports Benny out of purgatory this way.
- Shell-Shocked Veteran: Dean is clearly exhibiting symptoms of PTSD, even more so than before.
Sam: You know, it gets better.
Kevin: You know I'm not gay, right?
- Sinister Silhouette: A shadowed figure is seen from behind watching Amelia's house as Sam leaves.
- Skewed Priorities:
Channing: ...Kevin? What's going on?
Kevin: There's a demon in you, and you're going to your safety school.
- Slashed Throat: How the demon possessing Channing kills her roommate.
- Sucky School: Centerville State College in Centerville, Michigan.
- Crowley refers to Channing's school as "What's the Point U".
- When the demon allows Kevin to talk to the real Channing, he explains, "There's a demon in you, and you're going to your safety school."
- Swirly Energy Thingy: appears in the 100 mile wilderness of Maine and was presumably Dean's portal out of purgatory.
- Time Skip: This episode is set 1 year after "Survival Of The Fittest". This is similar to the premiere of Season 6 "Exile On Main St.", where Sam reunites with Dean after Sam had been thrown in the pit with Lucifer and Dean had given up hunting.
- Tomes of Prophecy and Fate: The tablets which are the word of God.
- Took a Level in Badass: Kevin. He's using super soakers to shoot borax at potential Leviathans, and managed to outsmart Crowley. Twice.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Dean and his burgers.
Sam: Dude, it's a burger,
Dean: It's a treasure.
- Trust Me, I'm an X:
Crowley: Chin up, gentlemen. I'm a professional.
- Weirdness Search and Rescue: Benny offers to be Dean's guide out of Purgatory.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Dean gives one to Sam for not trying to find him and not helping Kevin.
- Who Writes This Crap?!:
Crowley: Really, Dean. Who writes your stuff? A marshmallow.
- Wild Card: Benny.
Benny looking at body of the vampire he killed: He was my friend. Now you are.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are:
Crowley to Kevin: Feel like a winner. Be a winner.
- You Look Familiar: Ty Olsson who plays Benny previously appeared as the vampire bartender Eli in "Bloodlust".
- Your Mom: When Crowley engages in a little Trash Talk, Dean uses this.
Crowley: Where's you angel?
Dean: Ask you mother.