open/close all folders
Vampires In Supernatural
"Most vampire lore is crap. A cross won't repel them, sunlight won't kill them, and neither will a stake to the heart. But the bloodlust, that part's true. They need fresh human blood to survive. They were once people, so you won't know it's a vampire until it's too late."
- Bloody Murder: Vampires are poisoned and temporarily paralyzed by dead man's blood.
- Daywalking VampireDean: So they're really not afraid of the sun.John: Direct sunlight hurts like a nasty sunburn. The only way to kill 'em is by beheading...and, yeah, they sleep during the day. Doesn't mean they won't wake up.
- Fangs Are Evil: Vampires have numerous retractable pointed teeth that extend beyond their human teeth.
- Glowing Eyelights of Undeath: Vampires' eyes flash in the dark.
- The Nose Knows: They have highly-developed senses of smell. Once a vampire has your scent, they have it for life, but the scent can be blocked by saffron, skunk cabbage, and trillium.
- Not So Extinct: John explains in "Dead Man's Blood" (S01, E20) that he never told his sons about vampires because he thought they were extinct. Justified Trope, since all it takes is one vampire to restart the race. The Alpha Vampire has survived attempts on his life from the Winchesters, demons, angels, and Leviathans.
- Older Than They Look: In many instances.
- One True Love: They mate for life.
- Our Souls Are Different: They have souls, which go to Purgatory when they die.
- Removing the Head or Destroying the Brain: A stake to the heart will not kill vampires; they must be beheaded.
- Superhuman Transfusion: Drinking a vampire's blood and then feeding transforms a human into a vampire.
- Super Strength
- The Undead: Possess Immortality.
- Vampire Hunter: Hunters have been so effective at killing vampires that they are on the verge of extinction in 2006.
- Was Once a Man: Every vampire except the Alpha was once human.
Luther (Warren Christie)
Appears in "Dead Man's Blood" (S01, E20).
"Revenge isn't worth much if you end up dead."The leader of a vampire nest and Kate's mate.
- Boom, Headshot: John shoots him with the Colt.
- Hemo Erotic: He "likes to watch" while Kate kisses and feeds blood to a woman.
- Older Than They Look: Kate says he was born around the same time the Colt was made.
- One True Love: Kate is his mate.
- Technicolor Death: When shot by the Colt, a sigil appears on his forehead, his skeleton is apparent in an X-ray-like manner, and light flashes from his body.
- Was It Really Worth It?: Luther tells Kate she should not have killed Elkins, despite what Elkins did to his family, because it might reveal the presence of the vampire nest to other hunters.
Kate (Anne Openshaw).
Appears in "Dead Man's Blood" (S01, E20).
"Boys, we're eating in tonight."Luther's mate.
- Cycle of Revenge: Kate kills Elkins because he killed Luther's family. This prompts the Winchesters to kill the members of her nest.
- Depraved Bisexual: Presumably, given her treatment of the captured woman and Dean.
- Kiss of the Vampire: Between Kate and the tied-up woman.
- Neck Lift: Lifts Dean by the jaw.
- One True Love: Luther is her mate.
- The Vamp: Kate tries to seduce Dean.Dean: Nah, I'll pass. I usually draw the line at necrophilia.Kate: Oooh. [backhands him, grabs his face, and lifts him into the air]Dean: [grabbing her wrist] I don't usually get this friendly until the second date, but...Kate: You know, we could have some fun. I always like to make new friends. [lowers and kisses him, still holding his cheeks tightly while another vampire watches, smiling]Dean: Sorry. I don't usually stay with a chick that long. Definitely not eternity.
Lenore (Amber Benson)
First appears in "Bloodlust" (S02, E03).
"Turns out, we weren't quite as high up the food chain as we imagined."The leader of a nest of Vegetarian Vampires.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Offscreen, but in Season 6, Eve uses their mental link to make her nest feed on humans.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: Gordon does this to Lenore when he captures her in "Bloodlust".
- Cute Little Fangs: Not really; they look like shark teeth.
- Dark Is Not Evil: One of the few "good" vampires.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Well, she is a vampire...
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire/Non-Malicious Monster: Despite Gordon's torture and Eve's call.
- Kill It with Fire: How she dies.
- Meaningful Name: "Lenore" is the name of a ballad by Gottfried August Bürger, which was quoted in Dracula by Bram Stoker.
- Mercy Kill: Castiel kills Lenore at her own request after she tells them where Eve is, wanting to be stopped before she is forced to attack humans again.
- Vegetarian Vampire: Her nest feeds off of cattle instead of humans to avoid be killed by hunters. She forbids one of her vampires from killing Sam and resists the urge to drink blood when Gordon cuts Sam's arm over her face.
Alpha Vampire (Rick Worthy)
First appears in "Live Free or Twihard" (S06, E05).
The first vampire sired by Eve, he is immensely old, and the progenitor of all the current vampires, whom he considers his "children".
- Affably Evil: Genuinely cares about his "children".
- Badass Boast: "When your kind first huddled around the fire, I was the thing in the dark. Now you think you can hurt me?"
- Bald of Evil
- Crazy-Prepared: He had Borax on hand in case the Leviathans tried to betray him. He probably didn't even know about their weakness to Borax until Dean mentioned it. He could have ignored the suggestion, but he didn't and it saved his life. That's one smart vampire, dude.Alpha Vampire: Word of advice, boys. You do not live through centuries of fire and ice and continental divide...by jumping to conclusions.
- The Dreaded: The Winchesters haven't forgotten the fact that it took twelve hunters (most of whom died) to bring him in the last time, and treat the situation with the appropriate gravity.
- Enemy Mine: Gives the Winchesters his blood, which they need to kill Dick Roman, and allows them to go free after he learns that the Leviathans are trying to stomp out all other monsters, including his kind, to preserve their food supply.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: You don't call Eve a whore in front of the Alpha Vamp and walk away from it. Edgar found this out the hard way. God knows what'd happen if the Alpha learned that Dean was the one who killed her.
- Evil Is One Big Happy Family: He thinks so. He even believed the Leviathans would let other monsters in on their big plan to turn the human race into a burger franchise because they're all "family", related by Eve. He seemed genuinely upset when Edgar told him that they're actually trying to kill him and his children so they don't have to "share".
- Evil Sounds Deep: Has probably the deepest voice of any vampire yet.
- Family Values Villain: Shows shades of this. Considers all vampires his children and even his snacks call him "Daddy".
- Femme Fatalons: Despite being male.
- Implacable Man: It takes more than chains, dead man's blood, and demons to keep him down.
- Last of His Kind: According to Crowley, he's the only alpha who didn't die in Season 6.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: When he tells Dean he'll "see [him] next season", it's actually a metaphor for the way the Winchesters hunt, focusing all their efforts on one Big Bad per year.
- Monster Progenitor: All vampires descend from him.
- Scary Black Man: The most dangerous and scary vampire ever, and black. He's implied to have been around since humans first migrated out of Africa, in fact.
- Stockholm Syndrome: Not him, but Emily, the virgin he keeps around for food, doesn't want to be saved when offered the chance and calls him "Daddy".
- Super Senses: Like all vampires. He could even sense that Sam had no soul in Season 6.
- Too Kinky to Torture: "Ouch. Stop. That hurts." All in slightly-bored deadpan.
Benny Lafitte (Ty Olsson)
First appears in "We Need to Talk About Kevin" (S08, E01)
"I know it's hard to believe, but I ain't always been this cute and cuddly."Becomes Dean's friend after they meet in Purgatory and he helps Dean escape, in exchange for a ride out.
- Deader Than Dead: Presumably what happened after he got killed while in Purgatory.
- Defector from Decadence: His old nest killed him when he started developing a conscience. When Benny comes back, he hunts them down and kills them all in revenge.
- Enemy Mine: How his partnership with Dean in Purgatory started out.
- Fire-Forged Friends: How his partnership with Dean in Purgatory ended.
- Friendly Neighborhood Vampire: Sam doesn't believe it, though.
- Heroic Sacrifice: In every sense of the word. Yeah, part of it was because he knew he wasn't strong enough to deal with the temptations of the real world, but that doesn't lessen what he did for Sam and Dean.
- I Hate You, Vampire Dad: Naturally, Benny's a bit miffed that his creator had him held down and killed, and seemingly murdered his girlfriend.
- In Love with the Mark: How his relationship with Andrea began.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: When he first meets Dean in Purgatory, he makes no light of the fact that he's a vicious predator who only teams up with Dean for his own benefit. He becomes increasingly sympathetic in later episodes, until it eventually reaches the point where he's not even really a jerk, just kind of sarcastic.
- Love Redeems: Subverted in "Blood Brother" (S08, E05). Benny fell in love with a woman he was supposed to kill and swapped to feeding off blood transfusions instead of living people. He later finds out that she was turned instead of killed by his creator like he thought. They still love each other, but she refuses to come with him and wants to keep running their nest's scam now that the others are dead. Dean kills her while a heartbroken Benny looks on, saying the woman he'd loved died a long time ago.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Benny is a zombie-vampire who used to be a pirate. Plus he has a Louisana accent.
- Papa Wolf: To his café boss/great-granddaughter Elizabeth.
- Ragin' Cajun: Has a Louisiana accent.
- Reformed, but Rejected: By almost everyone except for Dean. Eventually, even Sam accepts that he has reformed.
- Warm Blood Bags Are Everywhere: He struggles with this quite a bit. It's what ultimately makes him decide to agree with Dean's plan of killing him to rescue Sam from Purgatory. He promises Dean he'll come back with Sam, but it's pretty clear (even to Sam) that he was never going to, even if he wasn't forced to commit a Heroic Sacrifice and stay behind.
- You Look Familiar: Olsson played another Friendly Neighborhood Vampire named Eli back in "Bloodlust" (S02, E03).
Celia (Ashley Crow)
Appears in "Alex Annie Alexis Ann" (S09, E19).
"You callin' my family weird? Oh, honey, you have no idea."The "mother" of a vampire nest run like a family.
- Affably Evil: Acts kindly toward Alex, out of a combination of exploitation and genuine fondness.
- The Family That Slays Together: She leads a tight-knit adopted family of vampires who prey on victims together, with the help of their young blood slave.
- Mama Bear: She thinks of blood-slave Alex as her own child, which was why she was reluctant to turn her and why she eventually does. (It's not permanent.)
- Only One Name: In contrast to Alex, who gets four over the course of the episode.