Recap: Supernatural S 01 E 20 Dead Mans Blood
Season 1, Episode 20
Dead Man's Blood
Sammy come on, we can Q and A after we kill all the vampires. - Dean
Sam: Hey, Dad, whatever happened to that college fund?
Sam and Dean travel to Manning, Colorado, after reading about the death of a fellow hunter. When they arrive, they are reunited with their father and discover that the dead hunter, Daniel Elkins, was in possession of the Colt: an antique handgun forged by Samuel Colt himself, along with thirteen bullets (only a few of which remain) that, when fired from the Colt, are able to kill anything
. John wants to use the Colt to kill Yellow Eyes, the creature that killed Mary Winchester, but unfortunately, the Colt is now in possession of the people responsible for the Hunter's death: a nest of vampires. Using the vampires' major weakness (a dead man's blood is a paralytic to them), they capture the vampire leader's girlfriend and attempt to trade, but the leader attacks them. During the fight, John gets his hands on the Colt and uses it to kill the leader with a shot to the head.
- Ancestral Weapon: It is likely that the saloon owner Elkins in Sunrise, Wyoming in 1861, came in possession of the Colt and it was passed down in the family until it came to be owned by Daniel Elkins.
- Anyone Can Die:
- Body count this episode = 2 humans and 3 vampires. We have the first death of a hunter, Daniel Elkins.
- Body count for the series so far = At least 138 humans; 11 ghosts; 3 vampires; 1 god; 1 rawhead; 1 shapeshifter; 1 shtriga; and 1 wendigo.
- Arbitrary Skepticism: Dean has trouble adjusting to the idea that vampires are real.
Dean: Vampires. Gets funnier every time I hear it.
- As The Good Book Says: The inscription on the Colt is "Non timebo mala", which translates to "I will fear no evil". This is an excerpt from Psalm 23:4: "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."
- Badass Grandpa: Daniel Elkins has been hunting since at least the 1960s, as seen in his journal.
- Because I Said So
- The Bechdel Test: Passed.
- Blood Lust: The vampires.
- Bloody Murder: Vampires are poisoned and temporarily paralyzed by dead man's blood.
- Boom, Headshot: See Papa Wolf
- Calling the Old Man Out: Dean.
- Clean Cut: Beheading with one stroke.
- Continuity Nod:
- Cool Gun
- Daywalking Vampire
Dean: So they're really not afraid of the sun.
John: Direct sunlight hurts like a nasty sunburn. The only way to kill 'em is by beheading... and yeah, they sleep during the day. Doesn't mean they won't wake up.
- Dead Man Writing:
- Location and code for PO Box scratched into the floor.
- Letter for JW in the post office box.
- Deggans Rule: Failed.
- Depleted Phlebotinum Shells: Arrows dipped in dead man's blood.
- Depraved Bisexual: Kate.
- The Dutiful Son: John does not seem to recognize Dean's efforts.
John Winchester: Dean, why don't you touch up your car, before you get rust. I wouldn't have given you the damn thing if I thought you were going to ruin it.
- Fangs Are Evil / More Teeth Than The Osmond Family: The vampires have numerous retractable pointed teeth that extend beyond their human teeth.
- 555: Daniel Elkins' phone number, according to John's journal is 970-555-0156.
- Four Bullets Left: The Colt does not have Bottomless Magazines, making it almost Too Awesome to Use. Of the 13 bullets made by Samuel Colt, only 5 are left in the case when Elkins opens it, and one of these is used to kill Luther.
- Fridge Logic:
- When Kate orders "Jack all 'round and leave the bottle", the bartenders grabs a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red.
- In John's journal it says D. Elkin, but the character is called Daniel Elkins.
- John says the colt was made in 1835 when Hailey's comet was overhead and "those men died at the Alamo". Hailey's comet appeared on November 16, 1835, but the battle of Alamo was from February 23, 1836, to March 6, 1836.
- Glowing Eyelights of Undeath: The vampires' eyes flash in the dark.
- Headbutting Heroes
- Hemo Erotic: Luther watching Kate kiss the woman.
- Holy Burns Evil: Averted Trope, as crosses do not repel vampires in Supernatural.
- Hostage for MacGuffin: John threatens to kill Kate unless Luther hands over the Colt.
- I Love the Dead: Dean says he usually draws the line at necrophilia.
- It Was With You All Along: Elkins was likely the one who first told John about the Colt, but he failed to tell John he had it in his safe while John was on his quest to kill the demon. John did not take this revelation well.
- Killed Off for Real / We Hardly Knew Ye: Daniel Elkins.
- Kiss of the Vampire / Sweeps Week Lesbian Kiss: Between Kate and the tied up woman.
- Machete Mayhem:
Dean: Dad, I've got an extra machete if you need one.
John: (Unsheathes a massive serrated machete.) I think I'm ok. Thanks.
- Mook Horror Show: "Boo."
- Neck Lift: Kate lifts Dean by the jaw.
- The Nose Knows: Kate identified Elkins by his scent, and later we find out that once a vampire has your scent they have it for life. But the scent can be blocked by saffron, skunk cabbage, and trillium.
- Not So Different: Sam and John
- Not So Extinct: John explains that he never told his sons about vampires because he thought they were extinct.
- The Obi-Wan: Daniel Elkins for John Winchester.
- Older Than They Look: Luther, who Kate says was born around the same time the Colt was made.
- One-Hit Kill: The Colt.
- Only Sane Man: Dean, in that he has to mediate between his brother and father.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Not affected by sunlight, can only be killed by beheading, and are temporarily incapacitated by Dead Men's Blood. Somewhat amusingly, vampires mate for life.
- Papa Wolf: John does not hesitate using his limited ammunition to save Sam's life.
- Protective Charm: A circle of salt in Elkins' cabin is one of the first clues the brothers have that he was a hunter.
Sam: Hey there's salt over here, right beside the door.
Dean: You mean "protection against demon" salt, or "whoops, I spilled the popcorn" salt.
- Ransacked Room: Elkins' cabin.
- Removing the Head or Destroying the Brain: A stake to the heart will not kill vampires, they must be beheaded.
- Rustproof Blood: Elkins' blood appears like red paint on the paper Dean uses to record the impression on the floor.
- Schmuck Bait:
- The vampire lying in the middle of the road causing the couple in the car to stop.
- Dean pretending to have car trouble.
- Shout Out:
- When Sam suggests investigating a woman in Iowa who survived a 10,000 fall from an airplane, Dean says, "Sounds more like That's Incredible! than Twilight Zone."
- The Straight and Arrow Path: The Winchesters use crossbows to shoot the vampires with dead man's blood.
- Superhuman Transfusion: Kate feeds her blood to the captured woman to transform her into a vampire.
- Technicolor Death: When Luther is shot by the Colt, a sigil appears on his forehead, his skeleton is apparent in an x-ray like manner, and then light flashes from his body.
- Was Once a Man: The vampires.
- Was It Really Worth It?: Luther tells Kate she should not have killed Elkins, despite what Elkins did to his family, because it might reveal the presence of the vampire nest to other hunters.
- The Vamp: Kate tries to seduce Dean.
Kate: You know we could have some fun. I always like to make new friends. (She lowers him to her level and kisses him, still holding his cheeks tightly while another vampire watches, smiling.)
- Vampire Hunter
- The Worf Effect: For someone hyped as an ultracompetant badass, John does need to get rescued a lot.