Season 1, Episode 7
Dean: So this is how you spent four good years of your life, huh? Sam: Welcome to higher education.
Dean: I told him you were a dumbass pledge and that we were hazing you.
Sam: What about the shotgun?
Dean: I said that you were hunting ghosts, and spirits were repelled by rock salt. You know, typical Hell Week prank.
Sam: And he believed you?
Dean: Well, you look like a dumbass pledge.
A preacher's daughter is stalked by the "hook man," a vengeful spirit connected with her father's church.
- Abnormal Ammo: Rock salt loaded in shotguns.
- Anyone Can Die:
- Body count this episode = 2 humans and 1 ghost.
- Body count for the series so far = At least 111 humans; 5 ghosts; 1 shapeshifter; and 1 wendigo.
- Bare Your Midriff: Lori's roommate's recommendation in the opening scene.
- Beauty Equals Goodness:
Dean: So you believe her?
Sam: I do.
Dean: Yeah, I think she’s hot, too.
Sam: No, man, there’s something in her eyes.
- The Bechdel Test: Passed. The 2nd time for this series.
- Body Paint: Sam helps Murph paint his back purple.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: The Rustproof Blood used to draw a Jerusalem Cross and write, "AREN'T YOU GLAD YOU DIDN'T TURN ON THE LIGHT?"
- Disposable Sex Worker: The 13 prostitutes Jacob Karns killed.
- Deggans Rule: Failed, although the only black character was not killed off first. She was second.
- Doom Magnet: Lori.
- Dramatic Necklace Removal
- Due to the Dead: Ghosts can be put to rest by purifying the body with salt and burning it, but first the bodies must be unearthed.
- Empty Cop Threat: Headed off by Dean, who just nonchalantly agrees to leave town.
- Evil Smells Bad: The smell of ozone at the sorority house causes Sam and Dean to conclude a spirit is behind the murders.
- The Fundamentalist: Jacob Karns who started murdering prostitutes because he was so offended by the red light district.
- Girl of the Week: Lori for Sam.
- Hook Hand
- Informed Attractiveness: Lori, to a certain extent.
- I Wished You Were Dead
- Kill It with Fire: Our first body salted and burned on Supernatural. Though, the ghost is not stopped until the last of the silver from his hook is burnt.
- Men Are the Expendable Gender: Guy dates married woman, hookman goes for the guy.
- Justified. The man was the father of the Doom Magnet, who'd disappointed her.
- Moment Killer: Lori's father calling on the cell phone.
- No Peripheral Vision
- Porn Stash: Dean learns Murph's name (the purple painted frat boy) by reading it off the address label on a copy of Backside, and Dean then starts leafing through the magazine.
- Preacher's Kid: Lori is just starting to explore Forbidden Fruit at college.
- Product Placement: Sam has a Dell Inspiron laptop, which is sporting the logo for Cove Bikes.
- Red Herring: Lori's dad being overprotective.
- Sarcastic Confession: "I told him you were hunting ghosts."
- Screaming Woman: Lori
- Sex Is Evil: Discussed and played with, appropriately enough for the urban legend the episode's based on.
- Lori's date gets a bit too fresh with her, doesn't take no for an answer and winds up sliced up and slung off a bridge by his ankles.
- Lori's roommate Taylor is heavily implied to be sexually promiscuous and encourages Lori to party, to her Moral Guardian father's disapproval. The Hook Man comes after her, too.
- Ironicaly, Lori's dad, who's a vicar, have an affair with a married woman. Then Hook try to kill him. In a deleted scene, Lori finds a condom in his trousers while doing the laundry.
- Shout Out:
- Sinister Minister: Jacob Carns, the first Hook Man.
- Sinister Scraping Sound
- Soul Jar: For most ghosts this is their bones or remains, but for Jacob Karns it is his hook.
- Terror At Make Out Point
- Urban Legends: Two classics: Hook Man and "Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the lights?".
- The Vicar: Lori's father serves this role.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Our first use of salt to counteract the supernatural in Supernatural.
- Your Cheating Heart: Lori's father is having an affair with a married woman