Season 1, Episode 2
Roy: You're rangers?
Dean: That's right.
Dean: Oh, sweetheart, I don't do shorts.
Written by Eric Kripke
, Ron Milbauer, and Terri Hughes Burton.
Directed by David Nutter.
Airdate: September 20, 2005.
Sam and Dean follow coordinates to Lost Creek Wilderness
which their father left for them, and end up helping to rescue a lost camper.
Following coordinates left them by their father, Sam and Dean wind up in the woods in Colorado with a group of hikers as they stumble across a wendigo
. Sam is shown still grieving for Jessica and suffering nightmares
. Dean teaches Sam that helping others and saving people can provide some relief for his anger, as they work to save Tommy Collins
and get to know his sister and brother in the process. Dean seems very interested
in getting to know his sister, Hailey Collins. However, they do not find their father, and they realize their father left them the coordinates because he wanted them to continue hunting
and not to help them find him
. While the wendigo kills the group's forest guide and kidnaps Dean and Hailey, they and Tommy are successfully rescued and the wendigo is killed by Dean with a flare gun.
For this episode = 3 humans and 1 wendigo
For the series so far = 6 humans; 3 ghosts; and 1 wendigo.
Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) items:
Tropes appearing in this episode:
- Abandoned Mine: The wendigo's lair.
- Artistic License - Geography: The coordinates left by John Winchester, 35,-111 actually point to Arizona. The Lost Creek Wilderness Areain Colorado, is around 39.3,-105.5.
- Big Brother Instinct:
Dean: You okay?
Sam: Yeah, I'm fine.
Dean: Another nightmare? (Sam clears his throat) You wanna drive for a while?
Sam: Dean, your whole life, you never once asked me that.
- Big Damn Heroes: Dean saving Sam and the rest of the Collins family.
- Black Dude Dies First: Actually Played Straight with Brad the camper being the first to die.
- Blatant Lies: Sam pretending he's fine.
- The Bechdel Test: Failed. While Haley is the first female characters allowed to live through an episode of Supernatural, she still does not have any other women with which to talk.
- Cannibalism Superpower: The wendigo is a humanitarian.
- Chekhov's Gun: Or in this case, Chekhov's Flare Gun, which were stolen by the Wendigo early in the episode.
- The M&Ms Dean pulled out of his pocket end up leading the way to the Wendigo.
- Don't Go in the Woods
- Death by Pragmatism: Roy. To be fair, it was pragmatism of the wrong genre.
- Deggans Rule: Failed. We Hardly Knew Ye, Brad.
- Distressed Dude: Tommy
- Evil Makes You Monstrous: Eating human flesh transforms the person.
- Floorboard Failure: Ben and Sam fall through a shaft and into the wendigo's lair.
- Gas Leak Coverup: The survivors go with the grizzly bear story.
- Geometric Magic: Lampshaded by Roy:
Dean: He's trying to draw us out. Just stay cool, stay put.
Roy: Inside the magic circle?
- Girl of the Week: Haley, for Dean.
- Gun Twirling: Dean twirls the two flare pistols despite having just been hung up by his wrists.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- Cory Monteith who plays Gary the unlucky camper, also will go on to play Finn Hudson from Glee.
- Callum Keith Rennie who plays Roy, also played Leoben Conoy on Battlestar Galactica.
- Donnelly Rhodes who plays Shaw, also played Dr. Sherman Cottle in Battlestar Galactica.
- Graham Wardle who plays Tommy Collins, will go on to play Ty Borden in Heartland.
- It Can Think: Well of course, since it's a wendigo not a grizzly. One particularly clever stunt though is updating the old KEEP OUT sign protecting its lair with a modern sign warning of toxic waste.
- Jerk Ass: Roy
- Jump Scare
- Just Eat Him: Luckily the wendigo strings his food up alive, instead of just eating or killing it.
- Kill It with Fire: They kill the wendigo with flare guns.
Dean: "Guns are useless, so are knives. Basically...we've got to torch the sucker."
Sam: How do you do it? How does Dad do it?
Dean: Well for one, them. (looks at Haley and her brother) I mean, I figure our family's so screwed to hell, maybe we can help some others. Makes things a little bit more bearable. (long pause) And I tell you what else helps. Killing as many evil sons-of-bitches as I possibly can.
- Molotov Cocktail: Sam finds it broken, apparently being smashed before Dean had a chance to light it.
- Posthumous Character: Jessica. She had to die for us to find out her last name by reading it off the grave marker.
- Rain of Blood: Roy's body in the tree.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Red Oni = Dean and Blue Oni = Sam.
Dean: You wanna tell me whatís goin' on in that freaky head of yours?
Dean: No youíre not fine, youíre like a powder keg, man. Itís not like you. Iím supposed to be the belligerent one, remember?
- Regularly Scheduled Evil: People go missing in the woods every 23 years.
- Rescue Sex:
Hailey: So really, I don't know how to thank you. [Dean grins] Must you cheapen the moment?
- Rise from Your Grave: Jessica's hand reaches out of her grave and grabs Sam, but it is revealed to be a nightmare.
- Screaming Woman: Hailey Collins.
Dean: Uh huh...what kind of furry critters do you hunt?
Roy: Mostly bucks, sometimes bear.
Tell me... uh, Bambi
ever hunt you back?
- Ben Collins likens the process of becoming a wendigo to what happened to the Donner Party.
- Sam's nightmare where he dreams of laying flowers on Jessica's grave, only for her hand to pop out of the grave and grab him is a reference to Sue's nightmare at the end of the movie of Carrie.
- Similarly Named Works:
- Sole Survivor: Shaw with the claw-shaped scar.
- Stab the Scorpion. Roy and Dean are arguing and getting on each others' nerves when Roy violently grabs Dean's shoulder... to stop him from walking on a Bear Trap.
- Stripped to the Bone: The left-overs in the wendigo's lair.
- Thicker Than Water: The Collins siblings, mirroring the Winchester brothers.
- Trail of Bread Crumbs: More like a trail of Peanut M&Ms, which are better than breadcrumbs as the brightly-colored sweets stand out more.
- Unwilling Suspension
- Vancouver Doubling: for Blackwater Ridge.
- Vertical Kidnapping / Neck Snap: Roy's death
- Was Once a Man: The wendigo.
- Wendigo: The Monster of the Week
- While You Were in Diapers:
Roy: You, protect me? I was hunting these woods when your mommy was still kissing you good night.