Recap: Supernatural S 08 E 02 Whats Up Tiger Mommy
Season 8, Episode 2
What's Up Tiger Mommy?
“I think too much heart
was always Castiel’s problem.” - Samandiriel to Dean
“A finger bone from the frost giant Ymir. And five-eighths of a virgin.”
-Vili’s bid for Thor’s Hammer, Mjölnir
Sam and Dean help rescue Kevin's mother at Kevin's insistence, when they find her surrounded by demons
. She insists they take her with them to find the tablet, so that they can close the gates to hell
and keep Kevin safe. This leads them to an auction hosted by the god Plutus, where Kevin is offered up with the tablets in a bidding war between Crowley and an angel Samandriel. The bidding starts at 3 billion dollars and continues to escalate, until Kevin's mother offers her soul. Before she can give her soul, Crowley possesses her and manages to escape with the tablet. Before leaving, Crowley warns Kevin that people around the Winchesters
end up dead. Kevin asks to be left alone to comfort his mother who is recovering from the possession, and uses this time to take off without Dean or Sam. Throughout the episode we see flashbacks
of Dean's time in purgatory and learn that Castiel abandoned Dean because the Leviathans
were after him, and he wanted to protect Dean.
- Angels, Devils and Squid: Crowley, Samandriel, and Mr. Vili.
- Art Imitates Art:
- Asian Hooker Stereotype: The owner of the pawnshop calls Mrs. Tran Mail Order.
- Auction of Evil
- Awesome Music: The Reverend Horton Heat's "The Devil's Chasing Me" plays during the tattoo scene.
A long black limousine
And there's a demon at the wheel
And ol' sly Satan's in the back
He says he wants to make a deal
The Reverend Horton Heat, "The Devil's Chasing Me"
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Dean hugging Castiel, when he finds him in Purgatory despite the prior betrayals and misunderstandings.
- Bazaar of the Bizarre: The auction.
- The Bechdel Test: Failed. We have Mrs. Tran talking to Eunis, but they only talk about Kevin.
- Beethoven Was an Alien Spy: Crowley implies Buzz Aldrin made a Deal with the Devil.
- Berserk Button: For Dean it is the Impala.
Dean to Sam about selling the Impala: Say it and I will kill you, your children and your grandchildren.
- Burger Fool: Samandriel had to take the nearest vessel to get to the auction on time and ended up as teenage Alfie in his Wiener Hut outfit.
- Catchphrase: Crowley's "Hello, Boys!"
- Continuity Nod: The first item auctioned is the amulet of Hesperus, the evening star (Venus in the evening) in Greek Mythology. His brother Lucifer is the morning star (Venus in the morning).
- Cryptic Background Reference:
Mrs. Tran: What, like it's my first tattoo?
- The Dandy: Plutus's assistant, Beau.
- A Day in the Limelight: Mrs. Tran, who frequently upstages the Winchesters.
- Deal with the Devil: Mrs. Tran
- Deggans Rule: Passed, Kevin and his mother.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Mrs. Tran punches Crowley.
- Drop the Hammer: Thor's Hammer
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Castiel's beard.
- Extended Disarming: Dean going through the metal detector.
- Fat Girl: The virgin in the bank vault.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
Dean: Look, we have Crowley by the short and curlies, okay?
- Good With Numbers: Sam calculating the tax on the Ferrari.
- Have You Tried Not Being a Monster?: Subverted Trope, as Mrs. Tran is remarkably cool with Kevin being a Prophet of the Lord.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- Lauren Tom plays Mrs. Tran, but is known for many other roles including:
- Gerard Plunkett who plays Plutus also played:
- Holding Hands: Kevin's mother shows him her support when they get the tattoos.
- If I Had a Nickel:
Kevin: Get out of her!
Crowley in the body of Kevin's mother: If I had a nickle for every time someone screamed that at me...
- It's Not You, It's My Enemies: Castiels's excuse for abandoning Dean.
- Gory Discretion Shot: Blood splatter in the vault.
- Ladies and Germs: At the start of the auction.
Beau: Ladies, gentlemen, and other.
- Landmark Sale: Crowley offers Alaska and the moon for the tablets, while the angel offers Vatican city.
- Literary Allusion Title: Shout Out to Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, although it's more of a Shout Out to Whats Up Tiger Lily.
- Made a Slave: Kevin at the auction.
- Mama Bear
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman : Crowley
- Momma's Boy
- My Beloved Smother
- Norse Mythology:
- Now Do It Again Backwards: Sam's reverse exorcism.
- Odd Job Gods: Plutus, the god of wealth and mythology.
- The Other Darrin: Khaira Ledeyo played Mrs. Tran in "Reading Is Fundamental" and "There Will Be Blood", while Lauren Tom plays her in this episode.
- Pluto Is Expendable: When Beau says, he is the right hand of Plutus, there is a bit of confusion.
Dean: Is that even a planet anymore?
- Protective Charm: The tattoos.
- Public Domain Artifact: Mjölnir.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Crowley's eyes flash for the first time, and are red like the other Crossroads Demons.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Dean remarks that he smells revenge, and later when Crowley possesses Mrs. Tran, we learn how far he would go to exact revenge on Crowley.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: When getting inked Kevin is clearly Afraid of Needles.
- Shout Out:
- Kevin uses The Exorcist to explain what is going on to his mother, and she replies:
Mrs. Tran: Is that what you’ve been doing all year? Watching television?
Crowley: Listen to Moose, Squirrel.
- Sissy Villain: Beau.
- So Proud of You:
Mrs. Tran: Prophet of the Lord, huh? It does have a nice ring to it.
Of course he can swing it ... if the bumper stickers
on my Previa mean anything.
- The Soulless: Crowley
- Super Smoke: Crowley has a distinct red smoke form.
- Themed Aliases: Agents Neil and Sixx, is a Shout Out to Vince Neil and Nikki Sixx of Mötley Crüe.
- Through the Eyes of Madness: While Castiel does appear a lot more sane, he points out that he may not be the best judge of this. However, I do not think most people with psychoses would appreciate being called psychotics. Given that psychoses can be part of many conditions with alcohol withdrawal, depression, dementia, delirium, and schizophrenia being just a few, it seems unclear how Castiel arrived at the 94% number.
Castiel: I’m perfectly sane. But then, 94 percent of psychotics think they’re perfectly sane, so I guess we’d have to ask ourselves what is sane.
- Tomes of Prophecy and Fate: The tablet, which is the word of God.
- Torture for Fun and Information: You can take Dean out of Hell, but you can't take the Hell out of Dean. Or at least the skills he learned under Alastair.
- Trap Is the Only Option: Kevin rescuing his mother.
- Truce Zone: The auction is advertised as this with Anti-Magic properties.
Beau: We have a strict "No casting, no cursing, no supernaturally flicking the two of you against the wall just for the fun of it" policy.
- The Unfettered: Dean, especially when looking for Castiel and questioning the thief in jail.
- Virgin Sacrifice: Evidently, even just five-eights is valuable.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Sam calls for Dean to stop when he has his knife at the thief's throat.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: Dean kills the werewolf after he gets the information he needs, and even Benny the vampire looks as if he thinks he went too far.
- You Look Familiar: