Previous: Supernatural S 06 E 14 Mannequin Three The ReckoningRecap of Supernatural
Next: Supernatural S 06 E 16 And Then There Was None
Next: Supernatural S 06 E 16 And Then There Was None
Season 6, Episode 15
The French MistakeWritten by Ben Edlund.Directed by Charles Beeson.Air Date: February 25, 2011.Balthazar arrives unexpectedly at Bobby Singer's home and proceeds to give the Winchesters a very hurried and incomplete explanation that he needs them to hide a key integral to Castiel's war effort. And then throws them through a window......right through the Fourth Wall as Dean and Sam land on crash pads on the set of Supernatural, a low-rated genre show in which they are actors playing the main characters. Hilarity Ensues.
Body Count:For this episode = 6 humans.For the series so far = At least 450 humans (of which 6 were witches), 77 demons, 34 ghosts, 26 vampires, 19 zombies, 14 gods, 11 angels, 9 hellhounds, 7 skinwalkers, 6 changelings, 5 shapeshifters, 4 ghouls, 3 djinn, 2 Arachnes, 2 dogs, 2 werewolves, 1 crocotta, 1 dragon, 1 fairy, 1 lamia, 1 okami, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, 1 wendigo, 1 whore of Babylon, and 1 wraith.
- Adam Westing: Misha Collins as Misha Collins.
- Affectionate Parody: Of the actors' public personae.
- Alternate Universe: Not just a world where the boys' lives are a TV show, but it also counts as one in regards to our universe. The actual, non "French Mistake"-verse versions of Jared and Jensen are so damn close, it's astounding. Not to mention Misha Collins, Eric Kripke and Bob Singer are actually still alive.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Robert Singer: "You can't come to work on poppers and smuggle kidneys in from Mexico and make up your own lines as you go! You cannot make up your own lines!"
- As Himself: Quite a few.
- Badass Boast
- Bad Bad Acting
- Ballistic Discount: In a non-fatal version, Virgil simply pistol-whips the store owner. Then he actually shoots the next guy to walk in.
- Batman Gambit: The key Balthazar gives the Winchesters is a decoy. While Virgil is busy chasing them, Balthazar finds the real weapons stash and hands it to Castiel.
- Big Fancy House: Apparently, Jared Padalecki lives in one. "Nice modest digs, Jay-Z."
- Big "NO!"
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Not so much breaking as pulverizing and tap-dancing in the ruins.
- Celebrity Paradox: Yeah...
- Crazy-Prepared: Among the things Bobby has in his house: Dead Sea brine, lamb's blood, and the bone of a lesser saint.
- Danger Takes A Back Seat: Lampshaded with a Tweet:Misha Collins: [tweeting on his phone] Ever. Get. The. Feeling. There's. Someone. In. The. Back. Seat? Frowny face.
- Dodge the Bullet: A crew member does this casually, while Virgil is shooting up the set. Not only does this seem oddly out of place, the man doing it looks an awful lot like a certain Trickster...
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Dean's reaction, word for word, when learning that Raphael's new host is a woman.
- Foreshadowing: A minor example, but "At least they're talking to each other..."
- I Am Not Spock: In-Universe. Dean initially mistakes Misha for Castiel, but, as he thinks they're following a script, he goes along with it. He later calls Genevieve Padalecki "Ruby". Based on her reaction, Jensen does this a lot as well.
- I'm Not a Doctor, but I Play One on TV: Jensen Ackles — he's not a hunter, but he plays one on TV.
- In a World: Used hilariously in the promo.
- Ironic Echo: The freeze frame.
- Jerkass: Balthazar.
- It's also implied that in the TV show universe, Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki are pretty much egotistical dicks.
- Kill 'em All: Virgil goes on a killing spree on the Supernatural set. Wherever the "real" Jared and Jensen went, they're going to be in for a shock when they get back.
- Lampshade Hanging: Everywhere. From Soft Glass to Romance on the Set to Stunt Doubles.
- Lost in Character: What Genevieve thinks is going on with "Jared":Genevieve: You have been Sam Winchester way too long.
- Mood Whiplash
- Never Heard That One Before: "Jensen" apparently has a habit of calling Genevive Cortese "Ruby":Genevive: That one never gets old, Jensen.
- The Nth Doctor: Raphael has a new host.
- Old Shame: In-Universe; Jensen was on Days of Our Lives. When Dean sees this, he wants to get out of this universe immediately.
- Other Me Annoys Me: Dean especially is peeved by his alter ego Jensen Ackles.
- Painting the Medium: Yes, you can do it while also Breaking the Fourth Wall, shut up. When Sam and Dean first meet Misha (believing he's Castiel), he says some lines that essentially summarize the plot of the episode.
- Reading the Stage Directions Out Loud: During the filming scene, Dean does this repeatedly.
- Real World Episode/Refugee from TV Land
- Running Gag:
- "At least they're talking to each other."
- "Season six..."
- Self-Deprecation: Pretty much everyone gets a turn in the episode.
- Self-Parody: Misha Collins has a ball with it.Misha: [writing a tweet] R. O. T. F. L. M. A. O.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Implied of both "Jensen Ackles" and "Jared Padalecki".
- Stargate City: "We're not even in America!"
- Super Window Jump: Played straight, parodied and lampshaded.
- Tears of Fear
- We Need a Distraction
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Dean seems to think so:Dean: Misha? Jensen? What's up with the names around here?
- Who Would Want to Watch Us?
- Well, not many people do.