Season 4, Episode 20
The RaptureWritten by Jeremy Carver.Directed by Charles Beeson.Air Date: April 30, 2009.Castiel tries to give Dean an important message in a dream, but when the boys arrive to speak with him personally they discover instead his vessel, Jimmy Novak of Pontiac, Illinois. Castiel's been recalled to Heaven for something, but Jimmy doesn't know what and just wants to go back to his wife and daughter. But the forces of Hell are after him as a former angelic vessel.
Body countFor this episode = 4 humans and 4 demons.For the series so far = At least 311 humans (of which 5 were witches), 28 ghosts, 26 demons, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 angels, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 2 dogs, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, and 1 wendigo.
- A Day in the Limelight: This episode focuses on Jimmy and, to a lesser extent, Castiel.
- And I Must Scream: Jimmy, while possessed by Castiel. He compares it to being tied to a comet.
- Awful Truth: Despite being a devout Christian, Amy couldn't or wouldn't believe that Jimmy was speaking to an angel. When Jimmy attacks his demon-possessed friend, she immediately panics and tries to get Claire to run. Then she sees the possessed guy threatening Claire and realizes it was all true.
- Back Story
- Body Surf
- The Chosen One: Jimmy, chosen to be Castiel's vessel.
- Conversational Troping
- Crisis of Faith: Implied with Jimmy when he doesn't say grace before eating.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Sam's addiction to demon blood is basically the supernatural equivalent of a heroin addiction
- Downer Ending: Jimmy can't ever see his family again and Sam is left in Bobby's panic room to detox.
- Exact Words: "It's in your blood."
- Gender Bender: Castiel briefly leaves his standard male host and possesses said host's preteen daughter. S/he switches back to Jimmy when the man begs hir to take him and spare his daughter.
- Grand Theft Me: They need permission, but this is basically what angels do to their vessels. Once you've given your permission, they can apparently stay as long as they need to, though the conversation between Claire!Castiel and Jimmy seems to imply that they might need to ask again if circumstances(such as Castiel being recalled to Heaven and pulled out of Jimmy) depend on it. Castiel also, this time, makes sure that Jimmy understands this possession will be open-ended until Castiel's task is done, and that it could take years.
- I Have Your Wife: And daughter.
- Little Miss Badass: When Castiel possesses Claire.
- Papa Wolf: Threaten Claire and Jimmy will beat you with a beer bottle.
- Parents in Distress: Claire says "yes" to Castiel to save her parents
- Rage Against the Heavens: Jimmy is furious at Castiel for letting his family be put in danger.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: All angels do this, but Anna takes the cake in this episode. She appears in the backseat of the Impala while Dean's driving, startling him and causing him to jerk the wheel violently.
- Take Me Instead: Jimmy gives up dying and going to Heaven in favor of letting Castiel possess him instead of his daughter.
- The Unreveal: Castiel never does tell Dean what he intended to tell him.
- You Have to Believe Me: When Jimmy tells his wife about Castiel, she thinks he's mentally ill. It doesn't help that shortly after that, he vanishes for almost a year. Then Jimmy comes back and, knowing how she reacted before, claims he was in a mental ward.