Recap: Supernatural S 04 E 19 Jump The Shark
Recap of Supernatural Season 4, Episode 19
Jump The Shark
Written by Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin.
Directed by Phil Sgriccia.
Air Date: April 23, 2009.
Sam and Dean receive a call on their dad's phone—it's Adam. Adam Milligan, John's other son, the one they didn't have a clue existed. His mother has gone missing and his town, Windom, Minnesota, is suffering from a ghoulish mystery: who is stealing bodies from graves?
For this episode = 2 humans and 2 ghouls.
For the series so far = At least 295 humans (of which 5 were witches), at least 63 demons, 28 ghosts, 10 vampires, 6 changelings, 3 gods, 3 shapeshifters, 3 zombies, 2 angels, 2 ghouls, 2 werewolves, 1 cat, 1 crocotta, 1 djinn, 1 dog, 1 rakshasa, 1 rawhead, 1 reaper, 1 rugaru, 1 shtriga, 1 siren, and 1 wendigo.
- Avenging the Villain: The ghouls are after Sam and Dean because John killed their parent.
- Continuity Nod: Dean still picks scissors.
Dean: Why didn't I pick paper?
- Dead All Along
- Decapitation Required: Blowing a ghoul's brains out also works.
- Everything Is Racist/Fantastic Slur: The ghouls take offense to being called ghouls.
Sam: Silver. No wonder none of the tests worked. You're not shapeshifters. You're ghouls.
Ghoul Kate: You know, I find that term racist.
- Kill and Replace
- Long Lost Sibling
- Not So Different: John and Sam. Sam's decision to train Adam is exactly what John did to Sam and Dean.
Dean: [to Sam] Y'know, I finally get why you and Dad butted heads so much. You two are practically the same person.
- Parental Sexuality Squick
- Sailor Earth: Adam is a deconstruction of the "third Winchester" plot.
- Self-Deprecation: The title refers to Jumping the Shark; adding a new "long-lost family member" to a TV series is usually considered by its fans as one way a show has jumped the shark, but, in this case, it isn't, partly because this family member is going to stay lost.
- Spot the Imposter: Dean and Sam test Adam using salt, silver, and holy water. Unfortunately, ghouls aren't weak to any of these things.
- To Serve Man/You Are Who You Eat: The ghouls eat humans (usually ones that are already dead) and take on the form of the last person they ate.
- Unusual Euphemism: "Maybe he slipped one past the goalie."
- Worst Aid: Sam's wrists are sliced to ribbons. Dean wraps a towel around them and that's apparently good enough.
- You Remind Me of X: Sam decides to be tough on Adam, who reminds him of himself when he was younger.