A Stock Phrase
referencing The Wizard of Oz
, used to express the realization that the character is in a completely unfamiliar
(or indeed otherwordly
The original quote
was "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." But it is sometimes misquoted
and shortened to "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto."
Saying this to a person from Kansas is a good way to get a boot in the ass
open/close all folders
- Inu Yasha: In the English dub, Kagome says something to this effect (actually mentioning Kansas) after she climbs out of the Bone Eater's Well. She's talking to herself, however.
- The Wizard of Oz: The Trope Namer. As Dorothy, who is originally from Kansas, sets foot for the first time into the colorful and Magical Land of Oz with her dog Toto, the quote given above (the original) is something of an understatement. When Glinda shows up in her magic bubble, this only confirms things for her: "Now I know we're not in Kansas!"
- The Matrix: Just before the red pill taken by Neo kicks in, Cypher warns him "Buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy, 'cause Kansas is going bye-bye!"
- Avatar: Colonel Quaritch warns the newly arrived soldiers "You are not in Kansas anymore!"
- Honey, I Shrunk The Kids:
Amy: I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.
Nick: I don't think we're in the food chain anymore, Dorothy.
- Little Shop Of Horrors, when Audrey meets Audrey II:
Audrey: "Am I dreaming?"
Audrey II: "No, and you ain't in Kansas, neither."
- Swamp Thing:
Alice: "I don't know where we are Toto, but it sure isn't Kansas. "
- Nanny Ogg says "I don't think we're in Lancre any more, Greebo" in Witches Abroad. After a farmhouse drops on her head.
- In the second Artemis Fowl, Root tells Artemis this after he asks whether Root is good cop or bad cop.
- Literature: Parodied in one of S.P. Somtow's stories about a world where the Roman Empire survives to the 20th century and interacts with
Red Indians Native Americans. At some point one of the Romans says something like "All things considered in toto, I don't think we're in —— anymore."
- Not in Kansas Anymore: A Curious Tale of How Magic is Transforming America is a book by Christine Wicker.
- We're not in Kansas Anymore: Strategies for Retiring Rich in a Totally Changed World is a book by Walter Updegrave.
Live Action TV
- Stargate SG-1: In episode Solitudes: "What's the bad news, 'cause unless they've redecorated the Gate room, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."
- In the episode 2001, the team ends up on an agrarian planet. Jack's reply is "Just when you think you're not in Kansas anymore, it turns out you are."
- Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Aisha goes to find her piece of the Zeo Crystal and ends up in Africa. She sees a lion, and says "I don't think I'm in Angel Grove anymore."
- The first episode of 90210 is titled We're not in Kansas anymore.
- In The Pretender episode "Road Trip", Jarod sets Miss Parker and her posse following a chain of clues that begins with a yellow brick with GPS co-ordinates written on it. As they approach the location of the co-ordinates (which turns out to be a scarecrow with the next location clue), Broots looks up from the GPS to announce that they've just crossed a state line and aren't in Kansas any more.
- In an episode of MythBusters, they were testing hurricane myths, and built a scale house to put in front of a giant hurricane wind machine. Adam Savage quipped, "Oh, we are so not in Kansas anymore."
- Referenced in Big Country's song "We're Not in Kansas", a song by a Scottish band lamenting the state of the USA.
- The Far Side has one with two fleas walking through a bleak landscape and saying "I don't think we're on Toto anymore."
- Vultraz in BIONICLE:
"I have a feeling I'm not in Karda Nui
any more... maybe if I tap my red feet together and wish real hard...
- Mocked in Courage The Cowardly Dog, where most of the main happenings are in Kansas.