Video Game: Obduction
An upcoming Adventure Game from Cyan Worlds, Inc., their Spiritual Successor to the Myst series.Here's its Kickstarter page.
Tropes featured in Obduction:
- Alien Geometries
- Alien Sky
- Beautiful Void
- Ontological Mystery: You're on an alien planet. There's a farmhouse. That's all you're given.
- Organic Technology: The object which transports the player to the alien world resembles a kind of seedpod with other, stranger shapes nested inside.
- Punny Name: Like previous Cyan entries such as Riven and Uru, this title uses an obscure term to suggest a more apparent one. In this case, obduction, a geological process in which one tectonic plate covers another, and abduction, because the player is stolen away.
- Scenery Porn
- Spiritual Successor: To Myst
- Shout-Out: The white farmhouse is a possible one to Zork
- The initial scenario, an alien vessel appearing from the sky and whisking the player off to a strange world, is remarkably similar to The Dig.