Ruth Adams: Did you notice this peculiar indentation in both their foreheads?Many animated shows, especially Japanese ones, have a habit of giving a character (sometimes more than one) an over-sized forehead. For some reason, the character, even if their head is their Berserk Button, will always take good care of their forehead, for it will always be as clean and shiny as possible. If not shinier, to the point where a common gag is to have others be literally blinded by the glare reflecting off their dome. This type of forehead could also be emphasized with the right hairstyle. Compare the less realistic My Brain Is Big.
Tom Servo: NO!
Tom Servo: NO!
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- Rossiu in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, known by Kamina as "Dekosuke/Forehead Boy". In Guren Gakuenhen, it stops a fight.
- In Dragon Ball, many characters are drawn with large foreheads. This could be said to be a trait of Akira Toriyama's art-style in general.
- Krillin, who had "Blind the enemy with the gleam off my cue ball" as one of his special attacks early on.
- #18 and #17 also have noteworthy foreheads. No wonder the former married Krillin.
- Also, one of the side effects of the Super Saiyan II and III stages is a bulging forehead. Especially noticeable in stage III, where the lack of eyebrows makes it look even bigger.
- Vegeta's forehead takes up literally half of his face, and is paired with a widows peak. It even became a meme in Japan.
- Freeza's final form has a rather prominent one.
- Cell's black head-dome seems to get bigger the more "perfect" he becomes, although the eye is more drawn to the organic green pope hat.
- Yue Ayase in Mahou Sensei Negima!. One of the OAVs had a scene which started as if it were looking at a character through a Fish Eye Lens, only to pull back and show it was the reflection off Yue's forehead.
- In the manga at least, characters remark on this, referring to her as "big forehead chibi" a few times. Chamo once even refers to her as the chick with the "Forehead of Doom".
- Hakase Sotomi.
- Megaman NT Warrior has Yai Ayano.◊ She can even utilize it to purposely blind others, even shouting "Yai Flash!" in later seasons.
- The Ayanotech company logo is a profile of Yai's head with a star-shaped lens flare over the forehead.
- Sakura Haruno, although hers was of more realistic proportions. Quite a few people tease her about it in-universe, though.
- Anime-only character Hotaru
- Another Anime-only character is Suzumebachi.
- Miyako (pictured above) from Pani Poni Dash! has a forehead that's so noticeable and shiny that over the course of the series, it has shown to do the following:
- Reflect the sunlight and focus it into beams of energy that set things on fire like a Kill Sat.
- Give instant suntans
- May require sunglasses to view directly.
- Can act as a police spotlight when chasing after a criminal at night.
- Can easily get wedged and stuck in tight spaces.
- In the first episode, it gets used as a grooming mirror by Himeko. That's just the tip of the iceberg too.
- Ritsu from K-On!. The animators won't let us forget it.
- Miya from Koi Koi 7. Much fun was had on NicoVideo when the camera focused on her forehead for a few seconds.
- Eriko from Maria-sama ga Miteru has a prominent forehead, accentuated by her headband.
- Tetsuo. The psychic powers was just logical progression really.
- It's mostly due to having his hair swept back in a really bad style, even before he started going Dragon Ball Z with it.
- Ayano of Lucky Star has this.
- This trait comes up more than a few times in fan art and doujins of Tsuruya from the Haruhi Suzumiya series.
- Yukimitsu of Eyeshield 21, mostly due to him being somewhat balding.
- Taiki aka Sailor Star Maker, according to the Sailor Moon fandom. This is because he/she is one of the few main characters to not have bangs.
- One Piece:
- Most female characters in One Piece have a large forehead,
- Not commented on, but Boa Hancock has a rather large forehead, even taking her swept to the sides hair style into account.
- Vivi's forehead has also become somewhat of a meme amongst her haters.
- Hancock's only being very slightly bigger than the norm and Vivi's not being bigger at all.
- Sonoko Suzuki from Detective Conan , but wasn't something discussed upon.
- In Petite Princess Yucie, the main heroine Yucie was often teased by Arc for her large forehead. Arc gave her the nickname "Forehead" and he often kisses it as well.
- Madoka Midou in Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko.
- Lamica in the Vampire Hunter D OVA.
- Fukiyose Seiri in A Certain Magical Index. Bonus points for using a headbutt as her Megaton Punch.
- Haruka Suzushiro of Mai Hi ME has a large forehead, and in the manga, is sensitive to being called "Debochin" ("Forehead").
- Mukuro of Katekyo Hitman Reborn!. Not that it makes him any less of a Bishōnen however.
- Both Masako and Himari in Mawaru-Penguindrum. Lampshaded in episode 19, where Masako confronts Himari in regards to Kanba... and their foreheads shine as they talk. It's... distracting.
- Els Tasmin of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid, whose big forehead is a Berserk Button that Harry likes to push.
- Tsubaki of Future Diary.
- Athrun Zala from Gundam SEED and Gundam Seed Destiny has a large shiny forehead which is made fun of in the Gundam Character Theater the comedy Super-Deformed shorts.
- Yoriko Tajima from Arachnid has a swept up hair style which she is sometimes teased for. Bonus doom points for being a mean delinquent and a secret crime lord.
- In This Island Earth, the first clue that Exeter and Brack are aliens is their oversized foreheads. Mike and the 'bots do not let this pass without comment.
- The 1920 film version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (starring John Barrymore) had Hyde develop a monstrously large forehead with the hair sitting on top rather like a cap and then dangling down to emphasis the scalp. The character would wear a top hat and then slowly pull it off to reveal the ongoing forehead.
- Anthony Hopkins makes best use of his as Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs, particularly in his last meeting with Clarice wherein as he probes her for details of her worst memory the camera focuses closer and closer on his lowered head, pale blue eyes glowering from under a hugely emphasised forehead.
Live Action TV
- Angel is frequently referred to as "Captain Forehead". Nina, on learning that he wasn't human, guessed "Frankenstein".
- Jeff on Community is self conscious about this.
Jeff: (looking at a doll version of himself) Oh, come on! My forehead is not this big.
[Everyone else in the room avoids eye contact with him.]
- Frasier Crane has this; lampshaded when Carla in one episode of Frasier where the Cranes travel to Boston, only to attend Cliff Clavin's retirement party, she comments "I forgot how big your head is."
- Seinfeld: Elaine Benes was called "big-head" by a bad date. She brushed it off until a pigeon crashed into her head.
- Gina Waters' big head was a running gag on Martin. Thanks to the magic of TV genetics, she passed the trait on to her son on My Wife and Kids.
- In the final episode of Red Dwarf's sixth series 'Out of Time', Lister (who have been locked in his quarters along with rimmer and the Cat on receiving contact from their future selves to protect them from the psychological harm knowing their future may cause) observes the future-crew's arrival by camera to see what happens to him (Kryten, having failed to cover up the fact something horrific had happened although refusing to specify). The glare off future-Cat's bald head obscures his view.
- The Emergency Medical Hologram from Star Trek: Voyager has a shiny bald head, lampshaded in one episode when the Doctor becomes a celebrity on an alien planet and insists that the ship's engineer B'Elanna Torres design an opera house for him.
B'Elanna: "What's wrong with the sight lines?"EMH: "If you consider the height of the average Qomar, it's obvious that anyone seated in the back five rows will have an obstructed view!"B'Elanna: "You're right. They won't be able to see anything but the top of your head. The glare could blind them!"
- Patsy in Absolutely Fabulous has apparently been hiding one of these behind the bangs of her Beehive Hairdo. When they were forcibly pushed back, her forehead emitted enough glare to blind everyone around the table they were sitting at.
- Pablito might be the smallest wrestler in World Wrestling League, but he's also got one of the most prominent foreheads.
- Yai in Mega Man Battle Network, especially the anime adaptation.
- Apollo Justice in his eponymous game. Klavier Gavin, the opposing attorney, refers to him as "Herr Forehead" (Mr. Forehead). Mind you, the name started with a forehead-related piece of evidence, but it fits nonetheless.
- Maggey Byrde also has a large forehead and is known as the "Goddess of Misfortune".
- Blue Mary had one in Fatal Fury, due in large part to being "inspired" visually by Android 18. Her head's proportions have shifted to more reasonable levels since.
- Iori Minase in The Idolmaster, to the point that Miki Hoshii often calls her "Deko-chan" (from odeko, which means "forehead").
- Crispin Whytehead in Psychonauts. Not only does his forehead take up four-fifths of his face, he has a hugely protruding brow hanging down over his eyes.
- Victor from Darkstalkers during his headbutt special move, where his forehead grows to about 3x in size.
- Senator Armstrong of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance has a prominent forehead. According to his character designer, his forehead and chin were emphasized from his original design to emphasize his strength.
- Zach Mann of Zach Mann And SD has a pretty big forehead.
- Everyone in Code Lyoko. Some people even discuss who has the biggest forehead.
- A guest appearance in Clone High.
JFK: I can't see! Due to the glare... of Mena Suvari's enormous FOREHEAD!
- Jimmy Neutron's peanut shaped head has a bountiful forehead (to hold in all that mad science, you see) with it's shape exacerbated by his large upthrusting hair cut.
- Betty Boop whose design was the basis of the beginnings of the modern anime style.
- Stewie Griffin from Family Guy has a large forehead to emphasize both that he is a baby and that he is sort of a mad genius plotting to take over the world. Plenty of doom involved.
- Beavis and Butt-Head had a yin-yang take on this. One (Butt-head) had a face where the eye and nose were raised up so he had a very large head with the face splayed out over it while the other (Beavis) had his face scrunched up low down with a pronounced overbite for emphasis so that he had a lot of forehead space.
- Noah from Total Drama, although it's more unrealistic head proportions than anything else (his hair covers most of it).
- The Brain. It occasionally causes him problems, like trying to slip through a chain-link fence Pinky goes through easily.
- Dib. G.I.R. hides easily behind his noggin while infiltrating an enemy base.
- In Superjail!, try not noticing the size of Jared's forehead.
- Chrissy Damon from Scooby-Doo! Stage Fright.
- Christina Ricci doesn't just have a forehead, she has a fivehead!
- Summer Glau
- Ellen Page. She once joked about it by bouncing a soccer ball on her forehead while on The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien, after admitting she was extremely self-conscious of its size.
- Rihanna tweeted a picture of her forehead with the caption, "New hair, new curling iron burn. Damn fivehead always in the way."
- Joss Whedon, even before his hairline receded.
- Bruce Timm
- Edward Norton.
- Vladimir Lenin.
- Brendon Urie
- Kelsey Grammer (see above).
- Peyton Manning, QB for the Denver Broncos and former Indianapolis Colts great, has a ginormous forehead. Even when he had more hair in his head you could have had ad banners set on it.
- Sade Adu from the band Sade.
- The philosopher Max Stirner.note
- Dara Ó Briain, regularly lampshaded by the team on Mock the Week (although often the snark is about the size of his whole head, not just his forehead).
- Maximilien Foy, a French general and politician of the early 19th century, was consistently depicted with a huge forehead.
- Aya Hirano, though she usually covers it with her bangs.
- John Patrick Douglass, creator of the YouTube channel Jacksfilms.