In many cartoons, characters that wear glasses seem to have their whole eyes fused into the lens. Their eyelids are nowhere to be seen, often all that is seen are pupils and the lens. Often the pupils go squinty when the character blinks, and the frames of the glasses have the ability to move around similar to an Expressive Mask
Presumably this is simply because drawing eyelids inside the glass frames is rather difficult.
Not to be confused with this
open/close all folders
- Mr. Owl from the animated Tootsie Pop commercial.
Anime & Manga
Films — Animation
- Disney's Atlantis The Lost Empire averts this with Milo (though briefly played straight during the viewing of an old film reel depicting his childhood), but plays this straight during a brief scene about halfway through the film where Kida actually takes off his glasses because of her curiosity and puts them on her face.
- Hotel Transylvania has the Expressive Mask variant with the Invisible Man—which, naturally, is the only way for the audience to see his expression.
Films — Live-Action
- In the 2005 film of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Hummakavula wears glasses that apparently magnify his eyes many times. Then he takes them off to reveal that the magnified eyes are in the glasses themselves, and his own eye sockets are sunken, empty pits. This is the first sign to the protagonists that he is more sinister than he appears.
- The same with Boris the Animal (JUST BORIS!!) in Men In Black 3; his "eyeglasses" sink right into his skull.
- John Egbert. His glasses go so far as to not even be connected to anything; they don't even have a bridge between the lenses.
- Bro's Triangle Shades act like this as well, despite not having visible pupils.
- Jade kind of averts it, however, because her eyelashes are visible through the glasses.
- Lampshaded in the 2012-02-16 animation, where Brobot slaps Jake's Eye Glasses off. His pupils go with them.
- Jake later manages to cry through his glasses.
- Several characters in Everyday Heroes have this, most notably Carrie. One good example is seen here.
- Donald Donlan in Gunnerkrigg Court has some quite expressive eyeglasses. A nice counterpart to his Eyes Always Shut wife.
- Both Matchu and his love interest Amber. Matchu's in particular can go from rectangular to round depending on his mood.