is a webcomic about the life of titular character Matthew Chu (or "Matchu" for short), jaded Unlucky Everydude
, living his life with his eccentric brother Doug (called by his last name Chu
) and perusing Amber, the girl he likes in a city so unremarkable, they couldn't think of anything better to name it than "Town
". Sounds pretty standard, right?
Also, Matchu is a pointy yellow thing
who is constantly as the mercy of slapstick gags
, Amber is equally as unlucky, and neither one can get near each other without something bad happening. Coupled with a loony Perky Goth
, a demon Mega Corp.
CEO and alien police officers who come to earth looking for an escaped fugitive from their home planet, the so called "unremarkable city" turns out to be not so unremarkable after all
Made and uploaded to deviantART
by Mat Lippiello, and can be seen here
Recently hit 100 strips.
Matchu contains examples of
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: Averted. Matchu thinks "Some Whores" is a terrible band name.
- Alien Abduction: Lala and Wheezy abduct Famine, but only so they can ask her questions. Famine was expecting something else.
- Aliens Speaking English
- Amusing Injuries
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: Famine really wanted those aliens to probe her.
- Ash Face: Matchu after being struck by lightning. twice.. Amber after shaking hands with a robot.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Matchu and Amber had a brief meeting when they were kids, with Amber helping Matchu feel better after getting beaten up by bullies and giving him a kiss "to make it better". No one had ever been that nice to Matchu before, and it sparked his love for her.
- Berserk Button: Don't tell Amber to cut or donate her hair
Amber: I know it's for a good cause and all, but so help me god, the next person who tells me that is going to become an organ donor.
- Bad Boss: Newman
"I don't need another jerk to throw money at! I want the money! It's mine! MY MONEY!"
- Bound and Gagged: A robot arm programmed to duct tape things together wraps Amber head to toe after she gets too close to it.
- Buddy Cop Show: Lala and Wheezy's subplot "Space Cops" is set up like one, complete with theme song, episode card and commercial break.
- Butt Monkey: Matchu and Amber.
- Iron Butt Monkey: These two go through a lot of punishment.
- Gina in The Psychic comics.
- The Cameo: Osaka shows up in several comics, either as a background character, a piece of merchandise, or something more well hidden, ala Hidden Mickeys.
- Cartoon Creature: Matchu, Chu, Jay, Jamjars, Newman and Loison. Lala and Wheezy have the excuse of being aliens.
- Matchu is described as a "Sulking Yellow Cat Thing".
- Catch Phrase: Matchu has "Meh, typical..." for when things go wrong. Jamjars has "AWW FUCK!" which he says often, as in that's all he ever says.
- Character Title
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Chu, Famine and Lala
Chu: I'm so jealous of monkeys, they have hands for feet! That is so cool!
- Cosmic Plaything: Matchu is struck by lightning twice, and a ufo falls on him right as he's about to finally say something to Amber.
- Crapsack World
- Cue the Rain
- Deadpan Snarker: Matchu, primarily, but several other characters are plenty sarcastic.
- Deathbringer the Adorable: Amber's cat Prince Zuko.
- Deuteragonist: Amber gets just as much character focus as Matchu.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Lettering Guy.
- Expressive Mask / Eye Glasses: Matchu's glasses change shape depending on his mood. Amber's do as well to a lesser extent.
- First-Person Smartass: Whenever Matchu narrates.
- Floorboard Failure: A Running Gag
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Chu and Matchu
- Gaussian Girl: Amber to Matchu, in the first storyline after seeing she's in his class, and in Matchu 100 when a kindergarten aged Amber kisses Matchu's forehead better.
- Genki Girl: Famine
- Girlish Pigtails: Amber
- Greasy Spoon: A commercial is shown for "Billy Bob's Potater Hut", which is covered in grease. Lala and Wheezy are later seen eating there.
- Hammerspace Hair: Many ridiculous things get stuck in Amber's hair. Including living things.
- I Call It Vera: Famine's flamethrower "Stevie".
- Last Name Basis: Chu's first name is actually Doug, which only Matchu refers to him by.
- Loser Protagonist: Matchu has no friends, lives in a crappy apartment with his underpaid brother, is immediately assigned as a janitor when looking for a job, and the universe denies him any sort of happiness.
- Male Gaze: Matchu tries to motivate himself to speak to Amber, listing reasons why he should. He's sold at Amber's amazing rack.
- Mega Corp.: Most of the characters work for NewmanCorp.
- Mummy Wrap: Amber is wrapped this way after getting to close to a duct taping robot. Famine is also tied this way when adbucted by Lala and Wheezy.
- Noodle Incident: "Long story. Things get kind of blurred in between the bank robbery, the escaped giraffe and the car fire."
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: Matchu and Amber.
- Perky Goth: Famine
- Poorly Disguised Pilot: Inverted with The Psychic comics, which were put into Matchu because they failed to hold up as their own series.
- Rapunzel Hair: Amber's is so long she can roll into a ball with it, and her morning routine consists of getting rid of things that get stuck in her hair, such as a quarter, her cat, a pizza box, an a-bomb, and Famine
- Running Gag: Matchu falling through the floor.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Amber's glasses glow in the dark. She's not entirely sure how.
Amber: Oh, this? Yeah it... it does that sometimes...
- Safety Worst: Germaphobic Amber attempts to shield herself from Lettering Guy with thick layered plastic wrap "armor". She can't get out afterwards.
- Shout-Out: Numerous to Disney, both affectionate or otherwise.
- Amber's cat is named Prince Zuko. When Famine asks why, a closeup of the cat shows he has Zuko's face on a cat body, complete with red mark over one eye.
- Matchu has a dream where he and Amber are in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, taking the roles of Link and Zelda respectively. Naturally, she pushes him off a ledge.
- Matchu's janitor rank is Scrub Monkey Third Class.
- Slapstick Knows No Gender
You probably thought Amber would be slapstick proof, like every other female cartoon character ever created. You thought wrong.
- Something Completely Different: The Psychic comics.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Matchu and Amber can't get near each other without something bad happening. Amber doesn't even know who Matchu is, and the one time she actually acknowledges Matchu's presence, a UFO lands on top of him mid-sentence.
- Take That: "I'm detecting low amounts of intelligence and sanity in this one, possibly a mental patient or a Team Fortress 2 player."
- A whole string of them appear when Matchu tries to watch TV.
- Third Line, Some Waiting: Stories revolve around Matchu and Amber's intertwining lives, and both will have an evenly split subplot in some stories. The third line is the Space Cops subplot, which while there is some intertwining, it's generally removed from the Matchu and Amber plots.
- Webcomic Time: Lampshaded in a Christmas Filler Strip
Chu: Nope, it's December. It was September last week and will be September again next Tuesday!
- Whole Episode Flashback: Matchu 100
- World of Weirdness