He is Tom Hiddleston, of Midgard, and he is burdened with glorious purpose.
Born February 9, 1981, Thomas William "Tom" Hiddleston
is an English actor best known for his role as Loki
, The Avengers
and Thor: The Dark World
. From 2008 onward, he played Magnus Martinnson in the BBC Wallander
adaptation, and in 2012, he starred in The Hollow Crown
, a BBC adaptation of William Shakespeare
's, playing Prince Hal in Henry IV
parts one and two and the titular role in Henry V
. In 2014, his starring turn as Coriolanus
in London resulted in all the tickets released on the first day going in that first day—and people camping out for the day release ones.
He has rather a large fanbase on sites like Tumblr
, made up mostly of fangirls
. They like to call him "Hiddles."
- Celebrity Resemblance:
- Dyeing for Your Art: From blond curls (he said once that when his hair is left alone, he begins to resemble a golden retriever) to Loki's straight black locks. He also did extensive physical preparation for the role; after gaining a great deal of muscle to play Thor, he trimmed down and studied Capoeira, among other things, to play Loki.
- Fan Community Nickname: His more dedicated fans call themselves "Hiddlestoners" or "Loki's Army."
- Fan Nickname: "Hiddles"
- Empire Magazine gave him "T Hiddy."
- Large Ham: He can deliver this one when it is needed the most. Justified because he's a classically trained actor.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: While he hasn't done a large amount of voice work (if any), he has been shown in the past to be a pretty adept impressionist, able to imitate almost any voice an interviewer can throw at him, such as Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Owen Wilson, Samuel L. Jackson, Cookie Monster and several others.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: He's known to American audiences for playing the villainous Loki, but in interviews he can't stop beaming about how wonderful it all is and how much he loves the role and his co-stars. According to Tumblr, he's the nicest human being on the planet.
- From Stan Lee's Twitter: "And if you want a cooler than cool villain who's also the nicest guy you'll ever meet—I give you Loki's alter ego, Tom Hiddleston."
- One of Us:
- Promoted Fanboy: In the 2012 [BAFTAs], he met Miss Piggy for an interview and was visibly excited, claiming he'd been a fan of her since his childhood. Three years later, he has a small role in Muppets Most Wanted.
- Sesame Street Cred: Once taught Cookie Monster about delayed gratification.
- Star-Making Role: Loki in Thor and later The Avengers.