Film: Crimson Peak
Take a little walk to the edge of town and go across the tracks...Crimson Peak is the next approach of Guillermo del Toro to ghost stories, set to be released in October 2015. Itís - in his own words - a classic gothic horror romance with a modern take. The film stars Mia Wasikowska, Tom Hiddleston, Jessica Chastain and Charlie Hunnam.It's 1899 and Edith Cushing (Mia Wasikowska) is a young writer with a troubled past, who marries Sir Thomas Sharpe (Tom Hiddleston) and moves to his mansion home, Adderly Hall, in Cumbria where he resides with his sister Lady Lucille Sharpe (Jessica Chastain). But (par for the course with a del Toro film) Edith discovers that Sir Thomas is not what he appears to be...The first official trailer can be watched here.
This film contains examples of:
- Arc Symbol: Pretty Butterflies are a re-occurring symbol throughout. Del Toro himself referenced this while guiding people through the Comic Con display.
- Big Fancy House: Adderly Hall is enormous and still oppulant, if a tad decrepit.
- Blue And Orange Contrast: On the official movie poster.
- Byronic Hero: Sir Thomas looks like he may be this.
- Clockwork Creature/Creepy Doll: The fortune teller (?) toy Thomas and Edith are playing with in the trailer.
- Creepy Twins: The Sharpes. Creepy brother and sister who live alone in a big mysterious house.
- Dark and Troubled Past: The synopsis says that Edith has a tormented past related to her family. The Sharpe children may have one as well (See Dysfunction Junction section).
- Dysfunction Junction: Thomas and Lucille were confined to their nursery as children, hinting at a more tragic (and perhaps terrifying) back story.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Lady Lucille Sharpe.
- Genre Throwback: To Hammer Horror.
- Ghost Story: It's implied that they are the ghosts of people who have suffered violent deaths at Crimson Peak.
- Harmful to Minors: Implied with the shot of a creepy monster hand grabbing a small child while she huddles in bed.
- Haunted Heroine: Edith. Apparently she has been able to see ghosts for a while.
- Haunted House: Crimson Peak.
- Love Triangle: Alan McMichael (Charlie Hunnam) is in love with Edith, who is married to Sir Thomas.
- Malevolent Architecture: Implied.
- The Peeping Tom: Lady Lucille peeps on her brother Thomas while he is having sex with Edith.
- Romantic Runner-Up: Alan when Edith chooses to marry the mysterious Sir Thomas.
- Softer And Slower Cover: A very creepy one of "Red Right Hand", in the trailer. May subvert The Cover Changesthe Meaning, as the original song was pretty creepy anyway, this is just a different kind of creepy.
- Snow Means Death: The eponymous house lies on a hilltop surrounded by a mostly barren snowy landscape. Also, the heroine is shown brandishing a knife confronting some kind of ghost(?) outside while the snow swirls around her.
- Tall, Dark and Handsome: Sir Thomas Sharpe, who is played by Tom Hiddleston unsurprisingly.