How kind of you to write her an article.Audrey Hepburn
, born Audrey Kathleen Ruston (1929-1993) was one of the most elegant actresses in all of cinema. She never seemed to try to be iconic, it just came naturally. From wearing scarves, to nun's habits, to The Little Black Dress
, she was an unforgettable image.
Look up the word "classy" in the dictionary, and a picture of her will be staring back at you.
Even in her later years, she was still a looker
, appearing in Blackglama's "What Becomes A Legend Most?"
, although she spent most of her later years doing philanthropic work with UNICEF.
A British citizen, she was born in Brussels, Belgium to a Dutch Baroness and an Anglo-Irish ne'er-do-well. Her father walking out
on the family when she was young and her subsequent adolescence in German-occupied Holland
made her something of a woobie
in her childhood.
No, she's not related to Katharine Hepburn
Her films include:
This actress/model provides examples of:
- Badass Adorable: Worked for the Dutch Resistance during World War II, raising money with her performances and acting as a courier behind enemy lines.
- Blue Blood: Her mother was a duchess.
- Fake Nationality: Born to British and Dutch parents, she played American (Breakfast at Tiffany's and others), Russian (War and Peace), French (Love in the Afternoon, How To Steal a Million) Belgian (The Nun's Story), and Native American (The Unforgiven) characters.
- Friend to All Living Things: You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone with a single negative thing to say about her, but in particular:
- Children: In addition to having two of her own, Miss Hepburn spent her final years working extensively with UNICEF.
- Animals: The woman had her own pet deer.◊
- I Am Not Pretty: Hard to believe about a woman commonly thought of one of the most beautiful to ever grace the planet with her presence, but she felt this way. To be fair, her boyish, gamine figure and reserved persona were something of a rarity in her day when big hair, big chests, and overly-glamorous sex symbols represented the ideal woman at the time.
"You can even say that I hated myself at certain periods. I was too fat, or maybe too tall, or maybe just plain too ugly ... you can say my definiteness stems from underlying feelings of insecurity and inferiority. I couldn't conquer these feelings by acting indecisive. I found the only way to get the better of them was by adopting a forceful, concentrated drive.”
- Little Black Dress: Didn't invent it, but let's face it: her face is the one that immediately comes to mind whenever one hears the phrase. She's not the page image for nothing, after all.
- Proper Lady: What her persona mostly consisted of, as well as many of her film roles.
- Romance on the Set: Admitted to (at the very least) falling in some degree of love with most of her male co-stars, although the only believed actual affair was with the then-married William Holden.
- This trope was however, how she met her first husband Mel Ferrer.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: To the other Hepburn.
- Unknown Rival: Although the press cooked up many a wild story about tension between Audrey and Julie Andrews note , both ladies adamantly contended there was no bad blood between them at all.
Homages to Audrey Hepburn
- In the Gundam metaseries, both Relena Peacecraft/Darlian and her Expy, Lacus Clyne, were modeled after Hepburn. And now Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn has Audrey Burne. Gundam really loves her.
- Both Wing and Unicorn made homages to Roman Holiday: in Wing, one of Relena's dresses was designed after Princess Ann's dress, and in Unicorn, the "Runaway Princess" movie poster is a copy of the movie poster for "Roman Holiday".
- In the manga and anime series, Rec, Aka Onda, the lead female character, idolizes Hepburn, and would quote Hepburn's lines from the movies she appeared in. In the opening, Aka is wearing some of Hepburn's famous clothing.
- Episode 146 of Sailor Moon is a homage to Roman Holiday, with one-shot character Princess Rubina as a stand-in for Princess Ann.
- Lina's character design in Slayers is supposedly based on Hepburn.
- In Disney's Sleeping Beauty, Aurora's design is partially based on Hepburn.
- More specifically Hepburn's willowy ballerina body. Originally Aurora/Briar Rose's face was also based on Hepburn's but redesigned later on.
- In Anastasia, the title character's design is based on both Meg Ryan and Hepburn.
- Similarly, Jenna from Balto was based on Hepburn.
- You Me And Dupree. Audrey is Dupree's ideal woman, much to Molly's surprise.
- Audrey is one of the actresses on whom S1m0ne is based.
- Adam Hughes' Catwoman cover work.
- From Clamp School Detectives, kindergartner Utako Okawa dons an outfit identical◊ to the Royal Ascot dress worn by Hepburn in My Fair Lady.
- Azalyn in Irresponsible Captain Tylor talks about being a fan of Roman Holiday
- In Gossip Girl, Blair Waldorf is a huge Audrey fan and would like her life to be like in Breakfast at Tiffany's.
- According to the DVD commentary of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic (specifically "Suited For Success"), Rarity's voice is at least partially inspired by Audrey's.