Even though This Is The End
is, first and foremost, a comedy about the end of the world
, it still manages to sneak in some genuinely frightening moments in the midst of all that hilarity.
- This shot◊ of the Hollywood Hills in flames (note what appears to be the actual Hollywood sign off to the right) from the second Red Band trailer.
- The death of Michael Cera is a lot more gruesome than the trailer made it look.
- The demon that jumps through the window and attacks Jay and Craig while they are scavenging for supplies is a very effective Jump Scare.
- The trip out scene has a few creepy images.
- Jonah Hill after he becomes possessed.
- Channing Tatum's fate is this mixed with Rape as Comedy.
- James Franco's death. While the leadup to it is funny, the image of Danny biting in and ripping out Franco's eye with his teeth before biting more as the rest of the cannibals join in is FUCKING DISTURBING.
- Paul Rudd accidentally crushing that poor girl's head is, like most of the things in the film, equal parts hilarious and disturbing as hell. Her eyes damn near pop out.
- The climax involves one of the more unnerving depictions of Satan in recent memory. He's easily six hundred feet tall, made of hardened magma, and has a penis the size of a split-level house.
- Considering they're completely absent from the final scene it's definitely implied that James Franco and Jonah Hill went to Hell.