"After being in Harry Potter, I believe a bit more in magic than I did before."Rupert Alexander Lloyd Grint (born August 24, 1988) is a British actor, best known for playing Ron Weasley in the Harry Potter films. Of the three principles, he's the most similar to his character in Real Life, including the easy-going personality, the large family, and even the fear of ginormous spiders. Grint got an audition for the part of Ron by sending in a tape of himself performing a rap while dressed as his female drama teacher. Much to the disappointment of his fans (though presumably to Grint's relief), this tape has failed to turn up on the Internet.Within the world of Harry Potter, Ron is Overshadowed by Awesome and is often thought of simply as his best friend Harry Potter's sidekick. As it happens, Grint is in a similar situation in Real Life as the media tends to ignore him in favor of Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson. However, while Ron sometimes gets touchy or jealous about his sidekick status, Grint seems to lack his character's inferiority complex. On the plus side, the situation gives him the ability to slip under the radar. After all, Radcliffe caused a stir by appearing naked in Equus, but the Moral Guardians completely failed to notice when Grint made the very mature independent film Cherrybomb.His post-Potter career, like his two Potter co-stars, has found him trying several more diverse roles to avoid typecasting. He is starring in the Norwegian anti-war film Into The White, and has recently signed on to his first American film role in The Drummer, alongside Aaron Eckhart and Chloe Moretz. He has also starred as Jonny, the loser manager of a hippie rock band in Moonwalkers.
This actor provides examples of:
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Comes off of this at times (buying an ice cream truck, randomly wearing a sombrero, etc.), but in a rather sweet way.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: He's still friends with Robert Pattinson, and as payment for a lost bet, he had to read all four Twilight books.
- Humble Hero: His Self-Deprecation puts him straight into this category.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Much like his character, actually. In addition to being the face of the whole franchise, Daniel Radcliffe caused a stir by appearing naked on stage. Meanwhile, Emma Watson has actually worked as a model and seems to be on the brink of a successful fashion career, to say nothing of her work for the United Nations. Poor Rupert can only compete by randomly buying an ice cream truck (and investing his Harry Potter salary into massive amounts of British real estate). Interestingly, Alfonso Cuarón apparently once commented that, out of the three leads, he thought Grint had the greatest chance for post-Potter success. Grint's reply: "I dunno, Alfonso was pretty crazy." Though few of his post-Potter movies have attracted the attention Radcliffe or Watson's have, he's hardly been starved for film roles. Aside from the previously mentioned Cherrybomb, he's also starred in Wild Target, Driving Lessons and Into The White. It's safe to say that his future still looks pretty bright. He's got a pretty big female fanbase, too.
- Preppy Name: Although not with a personality to match.
- Self-Deprecation: Is known for this a lot, being incredibly humble during interviews.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Hates spiders just as much as Ron.