The guitar guy himself.
Edward Christopher Sheeran, or simply, Ed Sheeran, was born on February 17, 1991. He's an English songwriter born in Halifax, England. Best known for his songs, The A Team
and Lego House
. He released his first album, +
, on September 12, 2011. It should be noted that his songs tend to be a bit depressing, especially if you read into the real meaning of the lyrics.
Reached new popularity highs with "Sing" and "Don't" in 2014.
This artist provides examples of:
- The Alcoholic: "Drunk"
- British Accent: Evident in some songs.
- The Cameo: Rupert Grint in "Lego House".
- Darker and Edgier: On one hand, X has a more lighthearted sound than +. On the other hand, X has even darker lyrics than + ever had.
- Digital Piracy Is Okay: "If people wants new music there's around 7 E.Ps that I released out and about and I don't really mind if anyone illegally downloads them."
- Downer Ending: At the end of The A Team music video, she dies from drug abuse.
- Fan Community Nickname: Sheerios
- Fan Nickname: Ginger Jesus, because of his flaming red hair and ability to hush crowds with his guitar playing.
- Grief Song: "Small Bump". It's about a miscarriage.
- Hidden Track: The traditional Scottish-Irish song "The Parting Glass" is hidden onto the end of "Give me Love"
- Iconic Item: Ed is almost always seen in a hoodie. He even performed at the Closing Ceremony of the 2012 Olympics in London in one!
- Indecipherable Lyrics: Parts of "You Need Me, I Don't Need You", "U.N.I.", and "Drunk".
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: His early E.Ps from 2005-2008 are extremely hard to find other than online.
- Long Title: "You Need Me, I Don't Need You"
- Lucky Charms Title: The name of his album is simply a plus sign. That's it.
- New Sound Album: While + was mostly a folk-pop album with heavily influences of soul, X is an eclectic trip between poppier, funkier sounds, folk-rock and rap.
- Odd Friendship: He and Jamie Foxx. He's the one who discovered him, after all.
- One-Word Title: "U.N.I."
- Piss Take Rap: "You Need Me, I Don't Need You". Damn!
- Precision F-Strike: "They say I'm up and coming like I'm fucking in an elevator."
- Several censored ones on X, especially on "Don't". Surprisingly, the Rick Ross remix of the song keeps in the profanities taken out in the official version.
- Real Life Writesthe Plot: "The A Team" was inspired by a homeless prostitute named Angel that Ed met while doing charity work.
- Shout-Out: "A young singer-writer like Gabriella Cilmi"
- Silly Love Songs: Autumn Leaves is one example.
- Something Completely Different: "You Need Me, I Don't Need You" compared to the rest of the album.
- "X", compared to his previous solo work.
- Sudden Downer Ending: "Small Bump" is mostly about a man conversing with his future baby, which is revealed at the very end to have been miscarried. Ouch.
- Surprisingly Gentle Song: "Autumn Leaves" is a gentle lullaby about losing someone you love, and "The Parting Glass" is an acapella goodbye song.
- Take That: Ed said in an interview that the song, "You Need Me, I Don't Need You", is geared towards the music industry, rather than a person.
- This Is Your Song: "Lego House".
- Title Drop: Hard to miss in "You Need Me, I Don't Need You".
- Title Only Chorus: Again, "You Need Me, I Don't Need You".
- What Could Have Been: Ed wrote a song titled, "Little Things", but gave the song to boy band, One Direction. However, he recently performed it live.
- Your Cheating Heart: "Don't"