Sara & MariaBandidas
is a 2006 Western Comedy
film starring Penelope Cruz
and Salma Hayek
, produced and directed by Joachim Ring and Espen Sandberg.
It tells the story of two very different young women
, Maria Alvarez and Sara Sandoval
. After the death of Don Diego (Sara's father) and the attempted murder of several farmers (Maria's father included), by the hands of an American land baron Tyler Jackson
, they join forces to rob banks and give the money to the poor
. At first they don't get along very well
and can barely rob anything, but after training
with a famous bank robber
, Bill Buck
, they take a level in badass
and Maria becomes a Gunslinger
and Sara a Knife Nut
(something to do with her inability to hold a gun without having hiccups
). Later they meet Quentin Cook
, a scientist and criminal investigator brought by Jackson to help catch the Bandidas. The girls capture him and, after realizing who's the real criminal, he decides to help them. And then stuff happens...
It is noted for being the first movie in which Cruz and Hayek ever worked together and for its huge amounts of Fanservice
Bandidas contain examples of:
- The Ace: Bill Buck.
- Action Wedding Dress Rip.
- Action Girls: Maria and Sara, but since we never see any of them doing any real action (and when we see it's not that impressive) this can be perceived as an Informed Ability. If they are or not Faux Action Girls is debatable.
- Amplified Animal Aptitude: Both girls' AnimalCompanions seem to be very intelligent.
- Betty and Veronica: Maria and Sara respectively. Both girls fall in love with Quentin (he probably falls for them too) and start competing for whom is the best kisser (with Quentin as the judge of course). As it was expected he can't decide it. By the end it is Inverted, because he already had his fiancée Clarissa, who was his first option, not the third.
- Canine Companion: Sara's.
- Captain Obvious: Clarissa
- Cat Fight: In a church.
- Cool Horse: Maria's.
- Cutting the Knot: While trying to steal outfits from some French showgirls, Sara attempts to trick them by speaking in their native tongue. Maria simply points her gun at the women and demands their costumes, stating that her solution is much quicker.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Jackson
- Direct-to-DVD: Met this fate in the UK six years after it was made.
- The Ditz: Both girls have the ditzy moments, but specially Maria.
- Dumb Blonde: Clarissa seems to be one.
- Mr. Fanservice: Not a beefy hunk per se, Quentin does provide a lot of manservice in just one scene (probably to compensate the enormous amount of Fanservice granted by Maria and Sara).
- Fake Nationality: Maria, the poor farm girl who has never being outside Mexico, is played by the very Spanish Penelope Cruz, and while both Salma Hayek and her character are Mexican, Sara studied in Europe and had just recently came back.
- Fallen Princess: Sara.
- Girls with Guns: Though Sara can't shoot to save her life, so she switches to throwing knives during actual combat.
- Hand or Object Underwear: Hand and BOWLER HAT Underwear.
- Hot-Blooded: Maria.
- Idiot Hero: Maria.
- If You Kill Him, You Will Be Just Like Him: After the final battle, Jackson is knocked out face down in the dirt. Maria is ready to shoot him, but Sara invokes this trope, telling her to shoot him in the leg. Turns out Maria is out of bullets, prompting Jackson to wake up and nearly shoot her. Then Sara quickly shoots him, feeling justified in killing him to protect her partner.
- Lovely Angels: Maria and Sara.
- Missing Mom: We never see the girls' mothers. Sara's mother is said to have passed away, but Maria's nowhere to be found.
- Mugged for Disguise: The girls do this to some masked dancers from France while infiltrating a bordello.
- Non-Action Guy: Quentin.
- Not Without Any Bullets, You Wont
- Obviously Evil: Jackson.
- Of Corsets Sexy
Banditos: Bandidas: Subverted to the core.
- Power Trio: Maria (Id) and Sara (Super-ego) already have their Red Oni, Blue Oni dynamics so when Quentin complete the trio he serves as The Heart (Ego) for them. Which is and isn't a good thing, since he keeps them together as a team, but they fight for his affection in order to one-up each other.
- Really Gets Around: If Sara is to be believed.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Maria is slobbish, passionate and determined and Sara is arrogant, poised and cultured.
- Retired Outlaw: Bill Buck.
- Rich Bitch: Maria sees Sara as this. She is, but she becomes less so as the story goes on.
- Rule Number One: Bill Buck's three rules for robbing a bank:
- No one gets killed.
- Don't take more than you can carry in one hand.
- Getting away is the first rule.
- Trust your partner with your life.
- Scenery Censor
- Smug Snake: Jackson
- Spoiled Brat: Sara, as she, herself puts it.
- Third Option Love Interest: Clarissa, Quentin's fiance
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Maria is the tomboy and Sara the Girly Girl.
- U.S. Marshal: Jackson who doubles with Corrupt Hick.
- You Can Leave Your Hat On: Played with by invoking it literally; when the girls try to blackmail Quentin they strip him naked except for his hat, and Maria and Sara disagree on where he should wear the hat.