Creator: Michelle Yeoh
Born in Malaysia, Michelle Yeoh (August 6, 1962-) is one of the most famous modern actresses to come out of Asia. She has worked in the Hong Kong film industry for four decades now. She has starred alongside such Asian actors as Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Chow Yun Fat. To Western audiences, she is best known for her roles in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Tomorrow Never Dies, Memoirs of a Geisha, and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. She also starred in Jackie Chan's Police Story 3 (aka Super Cop) as well as cult-classic, Heroic Trio.
She provides examples of:
- Action Girl: She often plays female martial artists and is quite skilled in real life.
- Badass Longcoat: Sports one in Silver Hawk (no relation) as the title motorcycling vigilante.
- Banned in China: She's been banned from Burma for portraying Aung San Suu Kyi (a Burmese politician) in a biographical movie.
- Breakout Character: Police Story 3 starred her character, who was the Side Kick of Jackie's character in the previous movie. She was so popular with audiences, her character had a spinoff movie.
- The Cameo: She was the snake charmer in the The Karate Kid remake.
- Dark Action Girl: Often played this role when she was younger.
- Distaff Counterpart: She is often seen as the female Jackie Chan since she does her own stunts, just like Jackie.
- Doing It for the Art: As mentioned above, she did all of her own stunts in her action movies.
- Hilarious Outtakes: For Supercop, yes. Subverted at the end of Ah Kam, which only elicits wincing as you watch the result of her stunt Gone Horribly Wrong.
- Made of Iron: Has done her share of death-defying stunts over the years.
- This has led to more than a few injuries, most notably breaking her back when jumping from an overpass filming Ah Kam: The Stuntwoman.
- Playing Against Type: She played the Soothsayer in Kung Fu Panda 2, a wise old woman who doesn't kick ass and take names, but just snarks at the Big Bad.