is a 2007 Third-Person Shooter
developed by Cavia and published by AQ Interactive (Japan) / Atari
(North America/Europe) / Codemasters (Australia) for the Xbox 360
Taking place in 2013
, the story revolves around a supernatural event that occurred six years earlier and resulted in a large horde of demons (calling themselves the Geist) emerging and driving humanity to near-extinction.
In a coastal city in the U.S., a young witch
named Alicia arrives, driven by a disembodied voice
called "The Darkness" that speaks to her. In her investigation of the city, she comes upon one of the last human military outposts and is asked by their commander to help save mankind. Using a magical broomstick that can change its shape and allow her to cast spells, Alicia sets out to rescue the surviving military forces in the city and confront Omega, a weapon- and magic-resistant demon.
The game was notable for allowing the player to summon various powerful spells, including lightning strikes
, powerful tornadoes
and meteor showers
. The player's weapon could also transform into four different types of guns
. It received mixed reviews upon its release.
Not to be confused with Bayonetta
or Marisa Kirisame
This video game features the following tropes:
- American Kirby Is Hardcore: The Japanese cover art (and page image) features Alicia with her broom standing behind a moonlit city. The overseas release◊ changes the background with a city in an inferno with some of the game's enemies. However, the overseas cover is also reversible for those who prefer the Japanese cover art.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The final boss, and the giant geists.
- Awesome but Impractical: Nearly all of the spells besides Lightning. Tornado has a massive attack animation but does little damage to enemies. The player is also more likely to kill themselves with the Meteor spell than other enemies..
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: The leader of the human resistance, Maxwell Cougar.
- Bare Your Midriff: Alicia in her default outfit, Dynamite Beauty, Pixie, and Mummy costumes.
- BFG: Alicia's gun, which is supposed to look like a broomstick. It can also transform into several other weapons.
- Black Magician Girl: Alicia.
- Blow You Away: Alicia's Tornado spell.
- BroomStick: Alicia's broom can morph into several other weapons.
- Bottomless Magazines: Played With. The ammunition for Alicia's broom/gun is created through the use of magic, but she cannot fire it unless she has mana to use.
- Celibate Heroine: Alicia.
- Crapsack World: The world was hit by earthquakes, wars, plague... and now demons. When the plot starts, the world's population has been reduced to just under a billion, and in spite of Alicia's efforts, she's only liberated one (bombed-out) city by the end of the game while demons still inhabit the rest of the world.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: The enemies in the game will kill Alicia in a large number of ways, ranging from fairly mundane guns and knives, to ripping her body apart and devouring her alive. And even after killing Alicia, they will frequently continue to attack her dead body; Geists will continue to shoot Alicia's corpse, causing her body to jerk repeatedly, while Walnut Heads will lift Alicia's corpse into the air, telekinetically tear off all her clothes, then rip her naked body to pieces.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite being a witch, Alicia is a good girl.
- Deal with the Devil:
- How the demon invasion started.
- Also, implied how Alicia got her powers.
- Death from Above: Alicia's ultimate spell, Meteor.
- Difficulty By Region: The American version has Alicia's gun do less damage, as the localization team wanted American players to use magic more.
- Downloadable Content: All of the extra costumes are absolutely free. However, everyone outside of Japan has to pay for the extra missions (they cost about $0.25, roughly $4.25 in total). Alicia's costumes include:
- Elemental Powers: Alicia can imbue her ammunition with elemental properties, and learn spells which control the elements.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Jumping into that pit didn't kill the guy from the introduction. He's been kept alive in the pit for months unable to die, And likely aware that he brought about the end of the world,
- Gatling Good: One of Alicia's most powerful guns.
- Hot Witch: Alicia, of course.
- I Cannot Self-Terminate: The human sacrifice from the introduction scene, who didn't die after he jumped in and has been trapped alone in a pit for months.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Alicia's Rose Spear spell summons a dozen spears that burst out of the ground, impaling everything in the area of effect. This results in High-Pressure Blood and then subsequently a blaze of death.
- La Résistance: Maxwell Cougar is the leader of the resistance, who Alicia meets with (and later fights beside) at the beginning of the game.
- Lady of War: Alicia's personality has elements of this.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: The guy who throws himself into the pit and summons the demons is Alicia's father.
- Made of Explodium: Shoot any vehicle enough and it will explode. Doesn't matter where you shoot it, either. Shoot the windshield? BOOM!
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Alicia slowly gets her ultimate spells from Darkness.
- Night of the Living Mooks: And day-time, too.
- One-Hit Kill: The result of flinging any physics-affected object into yourself. This is often caused by casting Meteor, as it tends to fling things everywhere.
- Panty Shot: When wearing the schoolgirl or secretary outfits, and while side-dodging.
- Sensual Spandex: Alicia's downloadable Pixie outfit.
- Something about a Rose: Alicia's Rose Spear spell summons a line of razor-sharp blades shaped like rose petals to impale enemies.
- Spiritual Successor: To the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex game for the PlayStation 2, which was also developed by Cavia. Both games share similar shooting elements.
- Standard TPS Guns / Swiss Army Weapon: Your broom can take form of a machine gun, a shotgun, a cannon, and a gatling gun.
- Updated Re-release: The Japanese Platinum Collection reprints contained all of the game's DLCs on the disc. Unfortunately, it's also region-locked.
- Walking Techbane: Alicia, specifically for aircraft — any aircraft she's on will crash for one reason or another. It's so universal that Darkness orders her not to board a helicopter during the ending.
- It's funny until you consider how all this started.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Some of the DLC costume changes Alicia's hair color. The Schoolgirl costume changes her hair to blue, Dynamite Beauty changes it to green, and Pixie changes it to pink.