is a 2007 Third-Person Shooter
made by Cavia for Xbox 360
; the game was published by AQ Interactive in Japan, Atari
in North America and Europe, and Codemasters in Australia.
Taking place in a Crapsack World
, you play as Alicia Claus
as she kills demons and... well, that's pretty much it
. There was something about some guy who killed himself and summoned the demons, but let's face it: no one really cared about that
. But if you must know, the story takes place in 2013
, with humanity on the very of verge of extinction thanks to all hell breaking loose. The demons formed their own army called "the Geist" and continue to slaughter humans by the thousands. Alicia enters some unnamed part of the eastern United States coastline to fight off the demons taking over a city, despite the disembodied voice
of the Darkness telling her that place was already doomed. Along the way, she meets up with Maxwell Cougar, the commander of the last of humanity's remaining armed forces, who requests Alicia's assistance in their resistance against the demons.
The game's highlight was that you played as a gun-wielding witch who could use various spells, like calling lighting strikes
, summon tornadoes
, and meteors showers
. Also, your gun could transform into various different weapons
. The game fared poorly in markets with middling reception from critics. Problems included awful A.I.
, bad English voice-overs, and bad level design, but the fast action and ultra spells got praise.
Not to be confused with Bayonetta
, or Marisa Kirisame
This video game features the following tropes:
- American Kirby Is Hardcore: The Japanese cover art feature Alicia with her broom standing behind a moonlit city, which is what the page image displays. The overseas release◊ changes the background with a city in an inferno with some of the game's enemies, however the oversea version's cover is reversible for those who prefer the Japanese cover art.
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: The final boss, and the giant geists.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Pretty much any ultra spell besides Lighting. Tornado looks cool, but kills little. You're more likely to kill yourself with Meteor.
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: The leader of the human resistance, Maxwell Cougar.
- Bare Your Midriff: Alicia in her default outfit, Dynamite Beauty, Pixie, and Mummy costumes.
- BFG: Alicia's gun, which is suppose to look like a broomstick, can transform into a bunch of weapons; see Standard TPS Guns below.
- Black Magician Girl: Alicia.
- Blow You Away: Alicia's Tornado spell.
- "Broom" Stick: Her witches' broom can morph into all sorts of awesome guns!
- Bottomless Magazines: Justified, as her ammo is created through the use of magic.
- Celibate Heroine: Alicia.
- Crapsack World: The world was hit by earthquakes, wars, plague... and now demons. It's a pretty crappy place to live.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Despite being a witch, Alicia is a good girl.
- Deal with the Devil: How the demon invasion started.
- Also, implied how Alicia got her powers.
- Death from Above: Alicia's ultimate spell, Meteor.
- Downloadable Content: All of the extra costumes are absolutely free, but Atari thought it was good idea to make everyone outside of Japan to pay for the extra missions (they cost about $0.25, roughly $4.25 in total). Alicia's costumes includes:
- Elemental Powers: Alicia can imbue her ammunition with elemental properties, and can learn spells which control the elements. She has use of...
- Fate Worse than Death: Jumping into that pit didn't kill the guy from the intro, he's been kept alive in the pit for months unable to die, And likely aware that he brought about the end of the world,
- Gatling Good: One of Alicia's most powerful guns.
- Hot Witch: Alicia, of course.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Alicia's Rose Spear spell summons a dozen spears that burst out of the ground, impaling everything in the area of effect.
- La Résistance: Maxwell Cougar is the leader of the resistance, and you fight along side many of the members in it.
- Lady of War: Alicia's personality has elements of this.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: The guy who throws himself into the pit and summons the demons is Alicia's father.
- Made of Explodium: Shoot any vehicle enough and it will explode. Doesn't matter where you shoot it, either. Shoot the windshield? BOOM!
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Alicia slowly gets her ultimate spells from Darkness.
- Night of the Living Mooks: And day-time, too.
- One-Hit Kill: The result of flinging any physic-affected object into yourself. Usual result of casting Meteor, as it tends to fling things every which way.
- Sensual Spandex: Alicia's downloadable Pixie outfit.
- Something about a Rose: Alicia's Rose Spear spell summons a line of razor-sharp blades shaped like rose petals to impale enemies.
- Spiritual Successor: To the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex game for the PlayStation 2, as that game was also developed by Cavia and both games share similar shooting elements.
- Standard TPS Guns / Swiss-Army Weapon: Your broom can take form of a machine gun, a shotgun, a cannon, and a gatling gun.
- Updated Re-release: The Japanese Platinum Collection reprints contained all of the game's DLCs on the disc. Unfortunately, it's also region-locked.
- Walking Techbane: Alicia, specifically for aircraft — any aircraft she's on will crash for one reason or another. It's so universal that Darkness orders her not to board a helicopter during the ending.
- It's funny until you consider how all this started.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Some of the DLC costume changes Alicia's hair color. The Schoolgirl costume changes her hair to blue, Dynamite Beauty changes it to green, and Pixie changes it to pink.