Somewhere at the three-way intersection of the Hollywood Nerd
, the Dogged Nice Guy
and The Woobie
, there is a character who is, quite frankly, a huge dork. He is socially awkward
, not conventionally attractive
, and a failure at his attempts to win the pretty girl (if he can even get a complete sentence out in her presence
). And we root for him, because he's just so humble and adorable in between his flashes of brilliance
. He might be capable of heroics if pushed, but he is generally not the Badass Bookworm
(at least, not yet
). He's smart but generally only in the hard sciences or obscure topics
, giving him a possible foot in the door as a tutor to The Chick
or an assistant
to The Hero
. Obviously, in a Five-Man Band
, Lovable Nerd
will be The Smart Guy
. Often subject to geeky turnons
For a lust
able nerd, see Nerds Are Sexy
. Has a high chance of being Adorkable
Anime and Manga
- Jou from Digimon Adventure is a definite qualifier.
- Madarame from Genshiken, though the entire cast could fall under this trope.
- Kohta Hirano from High School Of The Dead.
- Eiichirou from Baby Steps, even in universe. Despite the fact that he's pretty nerdy and always at the top of his class, he seems to win the respect and admiration from the majority of his classmates.
- Haruyuki "Haru" Arita from Accel World is short, fat, socially awkward, and gets beaten up by bullies regularly. Once he gains some self-esteem, however, he quickly reveals himself as a Determinator.
- Clark Kent in some incarnations, likely to set himself apart from his Superman alter ego.
- "Gene" Strausser, who's essentially a big kid playing with Damage Control's collection of super-powered
- Most of the protagonists in the Revenge of the Nerds movies.
- Michael Cera tends to be typecast as the Lovable Nerd in most of his movies.
- Napoleon Dynamite.
- Flynn Carsen, the title character in The Librarian series of movies. His nerdiness is a big selling point... considering he's an action hero. Who has 22 college degrees. And who's also the biggest nerd in the world. And, oh yeah... he has an adventuring partner.
- Dave Stuttler in The Sorcerers Apprentice. He can barely talk to the girl of his dreams, but HE MAKES MUSICAL LIGHTNING! (Sometimes he even uses a Tesla coil, too.)
- Discworld: Ponder Stibbons, to a point. He's a wizardly quantum physicist who looks like Harry Potter, age 25, for heaven's sake.
- Waldo Butters of The Dresden Files. It's hard not to like the little guy, what with his cheery demeanor, polka obsession, and occasional flashes of pure awesome.
- Tre from Stuck, as well as his even more nerdy friends Cale and Grassy.
- Otacon in Metal Gear. When Snake first meets him, he is a computer hacker and an otaku, and so terrified by recent events (particularly an encounter with Grey Fox in which Snake intervenes) that he has wet himself. And he is definitely Captain Awkward with Naomi Hunter in MGS4.
- Reese Worthington.
- Shad from The Legend Of Zelda Twilight Princess just can't stop nattering on about his esoteric studies. And is adorable while doing it.
- Jeff from EarthBound.