(b. 1958) is a Tongan Professional Wrestler
best known for his work in the 1980s and 1990s as The Barbarian.
He debuted in 1980 after having previously competed in Japan in sumo wrestling. He wrestled under the names Tonga John
, King Konga
and Konga the Barbarian
before settling on "The Barbarian." He competed in various National Wrestling Alliance
territories before settling into the Mid-Atlantic initially as a Face
. He was turned Heel
and teamed with the Warlord as The Powers of Pain.
He made his PPV debut in the steel cage battle royal that was the main event of NWA Bunkhouse Stampede,
January 24, 1988, with Dusty Rhodes
eliminating him to win. The POP surprised many people by jumping from the NWA to WWE
in the summer. The team split in 1990, with the Warlord joining Slick
's stable and Barbarian joining the Heenan Family
. He stayed around for another two years, leaving in February. He then briefly allied himself with Cactus Jack
in Jack's feud with WCW World Heavyweight Champion Ron Simmons
. He had a brief run in WWE in late 1994-1995 as "Sionne" of the Headshrinkers after Samu left. He and Warlord were briefly reunited under masks in WCW in late 1995 as "The Super Assassins" before Warlord left. Barbarian joined the Dungeon of Doom
and teamed with Meng
as The Faces of Fear
until that team split. Barbarian and Meng would alternate between teaming and feuding in 1998 and 1999. He has also competed for CHIKARA
, Juggalo Championship Wrestling
, New Japan Pro Wrestling
and many independents around the world. Among his in-ring achievements, he is a former NWA World 6-Man Tag Team Champion
and he and Dick Slater were the last-ever WCW United States Tag Team Champions
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
- Badass: While he doesn't have the same legitimate reputation that Meng does, he still perceived as someone who could beat up anyone.
- The Brute
- David Vs Goliath: Played straight at WrestleMania VII when the Rockers (Shawn Michaels and Marty Jannetty) defeated Haku and Barbarian. Inverted when the Faces of Fear defeated Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero on the February 4, 1997 WCW Monday Nitro.
- Death from Above: 6'2, 300 lbs. of muscle and could come off of the top rope.
- Demoted to Extra: In WWE and WCW.
- Expy: Drew on both Bruiser Brody and the Road Warriors.
- Facial Markings: During his early 90s WCW run
- Finishing Move: Diving Headbutt, Top Rope Clothesline, Kick Of Fear, Piledriver
- Garbage Wrestler: WCW did put him in the Hardcore division for a time in 1999.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: Started as a face, turned heel, the POP were brought into WWE as face, did the Face Heel Double Turn with Demolition at Survivor Series 1988, stayed heel the rest of his time in WWE, a heel in WCW, a face again in WWE as a member of the Headshrinkers, heel again in WCW...
- I Have Many Names.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Referred to this way at times in WCW.
- The Jannetty: To Meng. He's a little ahead of Warlord, but not really enough to be a Breakup Breakout. It ended up being his motivation for turning on Meng.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast
- No Sell: Often.
- Parts Unknown: Billed from there at times.
- Power Stable:
- Paul Jones' Army
- The Heenan Family
- The Dungeon of Doom
- The First Family (led by Jimmy Hart in 1998-1999 WCW)
- Darkside (in USA Championship Wrestling in Tennessee)
- Ring Oldies: He's 55 this year and still competing.
- Tag Team: The Powers of Pain (also known for a time as the Untouchables or under masks as the Super Assassins)
- The Headshrinkers
- The Faces of Fear
- Wild Tongan: Afa does not count him as part of the family though, even though he has teamed with wrestlers (Fatu, Haku/Meng) who are.
- The Worf Effect: He was Goldberg's second televised victim, on the September 29, 1997 WCW Monday Nitro.
- Wrestling Family: His niece is Lei'D Tapa, who currently competes for TNA.