Layla El (born 25 June 1977) is an English professional wrestler. She is signed to WWE, where she performs as Layla
. She became part of WWE as part of the Divas Search of 2006 (which she won) and is a former Divas Champion. She is most well-known for being one half of the heel duo Lay Cool
As usual, more on Layla can be found at That Other Wiki.
- Aborted Arc: Layla and Kaitlyn showed signs of tension with Layla seemingly being jealous over Kaitlyn's title win and Kaitlyn not happy about Layla blind tagging herself into a match. It never went anywhere and they were back to being friends in a few weeks. Layla actually did turn heel on Kaitlyn months later but when Kaitlyn had already lost the Divas' Championship - so it didn't make much sense.
- Alpha Bitch: With Lena Yada against Kelly Kelly on ECWWE. To the entire division with Michelle McCool later, though she was more like the Beta Bitch then.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Yes she's a bitch, but her genuine affection for Michelle makes her very adorable.
- Alternate Company Equivalent: In a bit of a possible Take That at TNA's AJ Styles, Layla wears a hood during her entrance.
- Always Someone Better: Melina Perez was presented this way up until Layla pinned her after Michelle McCool struck Melina with a crutch, she wouldn't get a clean win though for years to come. This was also the basis of her rivalry with junior diva search winner Eve Torres, whom Layla never did get a decisive win over, not even in arm wrestling or dance offs. It was one of her losses to Eve that actually broke up Laycool.
- Arch-Enemy: It was Summer Rae in early 2014, but the two have now teamed up against their mutual enemy, Fandango.
- Ass Kicks You: "Booty Bump!"
- The Atoner: Post-LayCool
- Attention Whore: She ruined Kaitlyn's chances of regaining the women's championship and sided with AJ because she wanted to be in the center of events. (and rightfully so it did not last long, AJ being crazy and all)
- But Not Too Black: During the diva search introduction interviews she claimed her curly hair was not from African descent, which a few sources on the internet saw as an invitation to argue otherwise. She has also made herself look more Anglo over the years, wearing her hair straight and lightening it to blonde for a time.
- But Not Too Foreign: Layla seems to have lost most of her accent as she has a tendency to sound very...American at times.
- Catch Phrase/ Fun with Acronyms: LOL is her hashtag - it stands for "Lots of Layla"note - and it's also the name of one of her moves.
- Cool Mask: She wore a Mardi Gras themed mask at WrestleMania 30. She wore it again for her entrance at Money In The Bank 2014.
- Dance Battler: As a face she would do incredibly silly dances to sucker her opponents in.
- Dark Action Girl: She had the fastest jump to actual, decent competition of any diva search winner, but did not really take off till she got nasty.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Layla circa December 2012, though she is currently back to brunette.
- David Versus Goliath: During LayCool vs Beth Phoenix and Natalya. Oddly, it was a heel David vs. face Goliaths. Played straight when face Layla defended her title against heel Beth in 2012.
- Dirty Coward
- The Dog Bites Back: After getting dicked over by Fandango repeatedly (with Fandango having cheated on her with Summer and then usurping their spotlight in matches), Layla and Summer Rae turned on him and teamed up.
- Enemy Mine: Averted. After fighting over Fandango, Layla and Summer Rae decided to team up and generally ruin his day, but first they resolved their issues with each other and became friends, so they weren't enemies when they teamed up.
- Evil Brit: Though was more often billed from Florida, she was frequently referred as the first British women's champion and she was a heel during this time. Also when she turned down Jamie Noble, who was being uncharacteristically nice to her, for British bully William Regal.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: When Lay Cool properly became a thing, she stopped wearing her hair curly and always had it straight. She gave herself bangs around the time she won the Women's Championship and was taken more seriously as a competitor. When she returned from injury as a Face her hair had grown to waist length.
- Finishing Move: A back neck breaker she calls the Layout. Sometimes done after a flip from the corner. She also has a roundhouse kick she calls the bombshell.
- Five Moves of Doom: Flying clotheslines, spinning facebuster, LOL and often she'll throw a kick which the opponent will duck but she'll get them with a second kick.
- Friendship Moment: After Kaitlyn lost the Divas' Championship to AJ at Payback 2013, Kaitlyn could barely make it up the ramp while in tears. Layla came out and comforted her, helping her to the back.
- Genki Girl: Always as a face. Sometimes as a heel, depending on whether she wants to be an Alpha Bitch or a Large Ham.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Michelle McCool. To the point where when their relationship got rocky they went into couple's therapy.
- I Am Very British: Invoked this when she was paired with William Regal. Elsewhere averted - as she's lived in America for so long, her accent has simply faded.
- I Know Karate: She practices muay thai.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: By the end of Lay Cool. Her desperate pleas for mercy whilst being crushed by Beth Phoenix/Natalya and her utter devotion to Michelle McCool got her over with the fans.
- Jerkass: Good God, yes. Especially as part of LayCool.
- Kick Chick: Was using a spinning martial arts kick as early as 2008. One of her kicks was reportedly so stiff it busted Eve open at Tribute To The Troops.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Layla seems to be much nicer in real life than on TV. She's often named as the favourite Diva from the troops whenever WWE go over there. A glance at out-of-character interviews show her to be very friendly and bubbly.
- Obnoxious Snarker: From Laycool onward this has never really left her.
- Odd Friendship: When in the middle of the latest of a series of fights, Layla and Summer Rae seem to come to the simultaneous realization that Fandango is a spotlight-hogging jerkass who has wronged them both. After they team up to attack him, Summer wordlessly invites Layla to come dance with her in the ring, and they become fast friends, even forming a Tag Team.
- Older Than They Look: She is 37 but looks to still be in her 20s.
- Put on a Bus: Injured her knee (tore the ac and mc ligaments) in May 2011 during Extreme Rules, and hasn't been seen on television since.
- The Bus Came Back: A year after her injury she returns to Extreme Rules and wins the Divas title from Nikki Bella.
- Ricky Morton: Frequently as a face (except when she was champion). Presumably since she's one of the smaller Divas and is very good at selling.
- Signature Move: An armdrag into a chain of holds she calls infinity (always end in a pin but what kind of pin varies on how long she decides to keep it going), also a double jump crossbody she call LOL (Lots Of Layla).
- Small Name, Big Ego: When part of LayCool
- Tag Team:
- Trailers Always Lie: The promo for SummerSlam 2014 showed Layla playing with sparkles and blowing them at the viewer with a kiss. You'd think that that meant she would be a player at SummerSlam, or at least that she would show up at the event in some capacity at some point, right? Nope. Turned out that she didn't appear at all in the actual pay-per-view.
- Twofer Token Minority: She's a woman of Moroccan and Spanish decent. She's also British, adding another flavour to the mix.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Despite trying to sound more American, her old accent is still mixed in with it.