Wrestling: Natalya Neidhart
Natalie Katherine "Nattie" Neidhart
(born on May 27, 1982 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada) is a Canadian professional wrestler who debuted in 2000 for her family's Stampede Wrestling promotion but worked primarily for Matrats until 2003. After a run through Stampede, Nattie spent the next two years touring England and Japan, particularly in NEO Women's Pro Wrestling, before returning to Canada to become the first Stampede Women's Pacific Champion. Nattie then moved down south to wrestle in the Western USA, snagging the NWA
Pacific Northwest SuperGirls Title, the attention of then fledgling promotion SHIMMER
and eventually a contract with WWE
under the name Natalya
Natalya is the daughter of WWE Legend Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart and the niece of Bret "The Hitman" Hart
. In contrast with many of her peers who trained exclusively in WWE developmental leagues, Natalya was trained in her family's famous Dungeon and is, to this day, the only female graduate. In the WWE, she was the first 3rd-generation Diva and initially managed cousin DH Smith and real-life boyfriend (now husband) Tyson Kidd as The Hart Dynasty but she entered the women's division when they split up and eventually became WWE Divas Champion. She is also currently a member of the Total Divas
"Pink and Black tropes:"
- All Women Love Shoes: Naomi Knight commented on Natalya's already large shoe collection when Natalya inquired about where Naomi had gotten a pair Natalya took a liking to.
- Alternate Company Equivalent: Was like a younger version of Lola Gonzales for Stampede
- First LayCool. Then the "Barbie Doll" Divas.
- Her and Alicia Fox have actually wrestled each other more times than any other contemporary combination of Divas on the main roster, (Beth Phoenix and Kelly Kelly coming in second) with seventeen televised singles matches in addition to all their tag matches. Natalya's in the lead right now with 12-5 in victories.
- Armour-Piercing Slap: To Vince McMahon nonetheless. Has said it was one of the favourite moments of her career. This was also how Melina turned heel on her.
- Bare Your Midriff: It is not too noticeable when most of the roster wrestles in knee braces and tights the size of briefs but it is what she mostly wears in the ring.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: A small aversion during her farting gimmick.
- Breakup Breakout: Benefited from this when the Hart Dynasty split and was integrated into the women's division. In a twist, her breakout happened alongside the break-up instead of after it. Fitting, considering her dad was the victim of Bret Hart's Breakup Breakout.
- Bridal Carry: Ended up being carried this way on SHIMMER Volume 8 while trying to escape "Portuguese Princess" Ariel.
- Butt Monkey: Towards the end of 2011.
- Canada, Eh?: Averted. She is Canadian but doesn't have a hint of an accent.
- Canon Name: Neidhart was dropped from her name after about two weeks but she's still called that by fans. Also, before going to WWE she used to insist on being called "Nattie" and could get crowds chanting it just by politely asking. At least two Japanese promotions billed her as "Nadia Hart".
- Catfight: Occasionally when she was a manager.
- Characterisation Marches On/Flanderization: Has morphed through psychotic 3rd generation star, badass Pollyanna, The Mentor, female Hardcore Holly, Chew Toy and playful dancer all in the space of about five years.
- Childhood Friend Romance: With Tyson Kidd, whom she eventually married.
- Cleavage Window: When she was starting out she had gear with a window in the shape of a valentine symbol.
- Cool Big Sis: She was this to AJ Lee and Kaitlyn before she turned on them.
- Corpsing: Beth Phoenix had an unfortunate Wardrobe Malfunction on Smackdown and Natalya tries to cover up with a look of outrage but some chuckles seep through.
- Cute Bruiser: Especially during her initial WWE run when contrasted against the unorthodox Cherry, the mat and shoot Michelle Mc Cool and the goofy Victoria. Later she would emphasize more of her mat and shoot(submission) ability. This was less noticeable on the indies where Natalya was not always as well groomed and sometimes was just one of many bruisers.
- Demoted to Extra: Whenever she has played out a feud.
- Designated Girl Fight: WWE would often add other Divas to teams the Hart Dynasty were feuding with so Nattie would have something to do. Eve Torres, Maria Kanellis and Tamina Snuka are examples.
- Enemy Mine: Girls Gone Wrestling were a thorn in the side of the Stampede Girls in ECCW but Cheerleader Melissa found common ground with Nattie against the Dangerous Angels during SHIMMER/All American Wrestling cross promotional show.
- Evil Laugh: She somehow manages an even more sadistic version than her father's.
- Evil Redhead: When she did a Dye Hard job.
- Face Heel Double Turn:
- Twice. First in her feud with Michelle McCool she was heel and Michelle was face, then they feuded two years later with the roles reversed. Ditto with Tamina.
- The trope played out during a match against Alicia Fox. Alicia had been face previously on television (though she flip-flops depending on the whims of the bookers) and high fived the fans during her entrance. But she turned heel immediately when the bell rang and Nattie became the face since the match took place in Canada.
- Fanservice Pack: She got really pretty towards the end of 2010.
- The Fashionista: In real life.
- Finishing Move: It's still an impressive sight to see a Diva doing the Sharpshooter so she still receives great pops whenever she locks it on. Sometimes she'll finish with a powerbomb or Discus Clothesline.
- Gasshole: Gained this gimmick in late 2011. Her father Tweeted that he has no idea why the WWE higher-ups would do something like this.
- Genre Blind: After Cheerleader Melissa had wrapped Allison Danger's leg in the ropes and drop kicked it, Nattie followed through with...a chin lock. Soon enough Danger had tagged in a fresh Sara Del Rey. It was up to Melissa to follow through with the hold Nattie should have started with.
- Girliness Upgrade: In WWE Natalya started out as a cackling, bullying self absorbed obsessive athlete who only wore pink because she found ass kickings to be more humiliating if dealt out by someone in pink. After the Hart Dynasty won tag team gold she started caring about other people's problems, getting involved in gossip and not only wearing pink but also valentine symbols and even her later heel turns showed her to be much more jubilant and conscious to domestic issues.
- Girly Bruiser: Wears more pink than any other Diva (pink and black are the Harts' colours) and outside of the ring has an insane amount of shoes in her collection yet not any less of a badass.
- Hairstyle Malfunction: She and Alicia Fox really love doing this to each other.
- Heel-Face Revolving Door: And sometimes without a setup as to why she turned.
- Hell-Bent for Leather: Started wearing leather as part of her latest heel turn.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Her stint as the valet/girlfriend(?) of The Great Khali. Nattie is 5'3", and Khali is 22 inches taller... and the two of them usually appeared with Hornswoggle, so it was also an example of Tiny Guy, Huge Girl. How huge or tiny Natalya is, is a matter of perspective though (She is kind of short but she's also kind of bulky)
- Informed Attribute: Subverted mostly since she is a bit larger than the other Divas but the only time this has been mentioned is LayCool getting some Cheap Heat. Played Straight with Miz's claims she was sweet and innocent, ignoring the last year the Hart Dynasty had been stirring up trouble with her in WWECW.
- In-Series Nickname: Jim Ross often called her "The Anvilette".
- Insult Backfire: Lay Cool attempted to mock her by claiming she had inherited her father's facial hair gene, showing a graphic with an Anvil moustache photoshopped onto her face. Nattie laughed it off and actually wore a fake beard the week after.
- Irony: In Big Time Wrestling, she said then SuperGirls champion Ivory represented everything that was wrong with professional wrestling and would never amount to anything more than a WWE diva. On total divas, Natalya talked about how relieved she was when she finally got signed by WWE and didn't have to travel around the world as a nobody anymore.
- Kick the Dog: With Beth Phoenix they loved to trap the other Divas in painful looking submission holds and hold up the house mic to hear them scream.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Has own at least a few cats and is not afraid to let the world know she loves them very much.
- Lovely Angels: The initial face version of her team-up with Beth Phoenix.
- Muscles Are Meaningful: She was the first woman on WWE TV to no sell a shoulder block from Beth Phoenix and for awhile she would not fall to most clothesline attempts and such at, even from Beth. She also duplicates some of John Cena's regular spots.
- Pink Means Feminine: Inverted. Pink and black are the Hart family's colours and she wears more pink than any other Diva. It makes her even more badass.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Pretty apparent in her matches with Sirelda, Amazing Kong and Beth Phoenix.
- Plenty of Blondes: Realised this in 2008 and dyed her hair red to stand out. She's back to blonde now, though usually carries a pink streak to stand out while paying homage to the Hart line.
- Potty Failure: Pees her pants after getting bumped in the groin.
- Rage Quit: Took a count out loss after being slapped by Sofia Cortez on NXT and then attacked while Cortez was celebrating after the bell.
- Real Song Theme Tune: Jessica Simpson's "These Boots Are Made For Walkin" in WWE's FCW.
- Red Baron: The Anvilette, Nattie by Nature (also the name of her signature discus clothesline), The Queen of Harts.
- Shameful Strip: Lost a "bra and panties" match to Victoria Crawford in WWE's FCW.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: She's not really held up as one of the pretty Divas but damn she looks fine when she wants to. Case in point◊.
- Signature Move: A wristlock/surfboard type maneuver dubbed "pinup strong" by fans that she and Beth Phoenix came up with in an attempt to take Kelly's title belt (the likes of MsChif had been using it outside of WWE though) A Headspring kip-up from her time with the Hart Dynasty.
- Slasher Smile: Has a very effective one as a heel.
- Stalker with a Crush: Hilariously on Mickie James's "Road To WrestleMania" on Smackdown vs Raw 2010, a Recycled Script of Mickie's feud with Trish Stratus.
- Small Name, Big Ego: When a heel.
- Tag Team: The Stampede Girls with Belle Lovitz
- The Bully: Essentially her gimmick when teamed with Victoria, especially toward Cherry. (But they were hardly unique in that regard)
- The Pollyanna: As a face. The Miz seemingly mistook this trait for her being "sweet and innocent" though, which she really wasn't.
- The Power of Friendship: She and Victoria became super best friends at first sight and proceeded to feed each others egos.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: This is partially because of Jim's hard living though, rather than having always been "ugly". Also because Natalya is more cut than he is (or at least has been during her entire WWE run).
- The Rival
- Nattie was the first Stampede Women's Pacific Title holder, the second was Dusty Adonis...wait, that's a dude! And he would win it from Nattie twice! The second time Nattie would not get it back because her other rival, Belle Lovitz, already beat him for it. As much as she fought Lovitz, Nattie spent almost as much time teaming with her, often because they were united against Anna Marie.
- In OVW and WWE, it was definitely Beth Phoenix. They teamed up a lot but Natalya relished any chance she got to compete against Phoenix, who by contrast was usually reluctant, not really wanting to hurt Natalya.
- Three Month Rule: When the Bella Twins had a Face-Heel Turn, Natalya cried about how awful they had become as if they had been friends up till that point. From developmental when she put aside her grudge with Victoria Crawford, to exposing their ruse on the main roster, her entire WWE career had been spent in opposition to the Bellas.
- Tomboy: For the first two years of her career though this has been dropped now. She's not like that in real life at all.
- Ur Example: According to Canada's Slam Sports, Natalya is the first third generation woman professional wrestler in the world. Considering how big the world is and how long pro wrestling has been around, that is pretty impressive if true, a fact she would mention after coming back to North America and emphasizing how much better she discovered she was than everyone else.
- Villain Teamup: With Beth Phoenix as the heel Divas of Doom.
- Visual Pun: During her farting gimmick she was seen backstage with a selection of cheese surrounding her. Nuff said.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Got a big one when she turned on AJ.
- Wrestling Family: Grandfather is Stu Hart, father is Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart, uncles are Bret and Owen Hart, cousin is DH Smith (son of the British Bulldog), you get the picture. On top of that, her husband is Tyson Kidd.
- You Go Girl: Once on a random episode of Superstars gave Jimmy Wang Yang a body slam, to a huge pop from the crowd.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: When she allied herself with the Hart Dynasty she gave herself pink streaks in her hair.