Byron James John Robertson
(1939-2007) was a Professional Wrestler
from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
best known for his work from the 1960s through the 1980s as Dewey Robertson
and, later, as The Missing Link
. He started in Toronto
as Dewey Robertson as a Face
and also worked in various territories in the U.S. He and Billy Red Lyons had a run under masks as the Tag Team
the Crusaders. He started the Link gimmick in 1983. Over his career, he would compete for various National Wrestling Alliance
territories, for the AWA
, "Cowboy" Bill Watts' Universal Wrestling Federation and for several independent promotions. Among his in-ring achievements, he was a 1x NWA United States (Tri-State) Tag Team Champion
, a 2x NWA Mid-Atlantic Tag Team Champion
and a 5x NWA Central States Tag Team Champion
. He died in 2007 after a long battle with cancer.
As usual, you can find the basics at The Other Wiki
Not to be confused with The Missing Link
"The Missing Tropes":
- Arch-Enemy: The Von Erichs, the Fabulous Freebirds, the Great Kabuki
- Autobiography: Bang Your Head: The Real Story of the Missing Link
- Badass Teacher: Among the wrestlers he trained were Iron Mike Sharpe and Val Venis.
- Bash Brothers: (as Robertson): Billy Red Lyons, Hercules Hernandez, "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regalnote
- Charles Atlas Superpower: In a match with Aldo Marino when he started with WWE, he had Marino up in a Bear Hug and rammed him into the corner so hard that the top turnbuckle and entire top rope came loose.
- Downer Ending: His death from cancer.
- Evolutionary Levels
- Facial Markings
- Finishing Move:
- (As Dewey Robertson): Figure-Four Leglock.
- (As the Missing Link): Diving headbutt, though his version had him launch himself backwards off the top turnbuckle and turn in the air, or as a top rope splash variation, rather than the more common swandive version.
- Hard Head: Could repeatedly headbutt the turnbuckle with no effect. He would also repeatedly hit himself in the head with the ring steps.
- Heel-Face Turn: In World Class when he rescued Sunshine from the Great Kabuki, and later from Percy Pringle and Rick Rude.
- I Have Many Names: Dewey Robertson, the Crusader, Troy Steel and the Missing Link.
- Improbable Hairstyle:
- Jobber: In WWE. He'd beat lower-ranked guys but would inevitably lose to bigger names.
- Parts Unknown: Billed from there as the Link.
- Power Stable: (all as the Link)
- Real Song Theme Tune: Quiet Riot's "Bang Your Head (Metal Health)", of course.
- Tag Team: The Crusaders
- Trash the Set: Bruno Sammartino defeated the Link by countout at a show in Buffalo, NY on July 24, 1985. During the match, he busted several chairs that members of the ringside commission were sitting in, which nearly caused the city to ban WWE.
- Use Your Head: As the Link, he would run at his opponents to headbutt them.
- The Voiceless: As the Link. There was the occasional grunt or roar, but nothing more than that.
- Weird Looking Guy Hot Valet: With Sunshine in World Class and with Dark Journey in the UWF.
- Wild Man
- Wrestling Family: His sons, Jason and Mark Sterling.
- Wrestling Monster