Cameron and NaomiThe Funkadactyls
are a female professional wrestling tag team exclusive to WWE
. The members are Naomi Knight
(real name: Trinity McCray) and Cameron Lynn
(real name: Ariane Andrew). They were previously members of the stable Tons of Funk
- made up of Brodus Clay
- but that group disbanded in late 2013. The girls initially debuted as dancing valets for Brodus in late 2011 but roughly a year later transitioned to a wrestling role and were integrated into the women's division.
Naomi was previously a dancer for the Orlando Magic before being signed to a developmental contract in 2010. Cameron was a contestant on the revival of Tough Enough
- and ended up as the only surviving contestant signed to a contract. The two are also main cast members on the hit reality show Total Divas
Tropes are on a roll...
- Aborted Arc: A partial example. Naomi was in the middle of a push for the Divas' Championship but got an injured eye in a match against Aksana. They pushed Cameron for the title while she was injured but Naomi never got a proper title match when she returned, only participating in a 14-Diva free for all at WrestleMania - then being immediately forgotten about when Paige abruptly won the title.
- All Guys Want Cheerleaders: Initially starting out as just dancers to Brodus, they eventually started carrying pompoms to the ring to evoke cheerleaders. They also started wearing hot pants and socks that resembled cheerleading outfits. Since they were originally just there for Fanservice it fits the trope.
- Arch-Enemy: The Bella Twins initially when they returned to WWE. This eventually morphed into an Enemy Mine situation when AJ Lee took on this role.
- Armour-Piercing Slap: Cameron turned heel temporarily in a match by slapping Natalya.
- Ascended Meme: Cameron's Catch Phrase (see below) ended up being printed on a t-shirt, was the name of her single and of her finishing move.
- Ass Kicks You: Ever since NXT Naomi has enjoyed smashing her ass in her opponents' faces - named the Rear View.
- Lighter and Softer: In FCW the move was called the Booty Call.
- She also has an odd move where she goes for a headscissors but pulls the opponents face against her ass to give some kind of mid-air stink face.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Although she is a face, Cameron can get very bitchy at times. Most notably during the Kaitlyn secret admirer fiasco, and in a Superstars match against Natalya.
- Break Up Breakout: Inverted. Naomi didn't get to properly debut on the main roster until she found herself a partner.
- Buxom Is Better: Total Divas reveals that Cameron has fairly small breasts and relies on padding in her ring gear to achieve this. Naomi is naturally well-endowed.
- Cat Fight: With each other after weeks of tension.
- Canon Name: Their last names 'Knight' and 'Lynn' were only there in FCW but are accepted as their proper last names by fans.
- Catch Phrase: Cameron's is "Girl, Bye". Also "The Bomb dot com"
- Chickification: Naomi was by far the most talented contestant on NXT Season 3 but took over a year to debut on the main roster, in a valet role at that. By the time she got to have her first match, the rest of the contestants had all become wrestlers full time.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Cameron. In real life she's even WORSE.
- Dance Battler: Well duh.
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Cameron became blonde in 2013.
- Do Not Call Me Paul: Averted on Total Divas they are referred to by their real names Trinity and Ariane.
- Everything's Better With Sparkles: Their ring gear is so very sparkly.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: At the start of Cameron's Face-Heel Turn she started wearing her hair curly when it had previously only been straight.
- Eyepatch of Power: Naomi for a couple of weeks after her eye injury. It even had rhinestones to match her gear.
- Face: Naomi has perpetually been a face her entire career. They really tried to make her a heel when she first appeared in FCW. But fans kept cheering for her and her natural athleticism made her a perfect face. Cameron was heel initially in FCW but became a Face too. In an interview she said her goal was to become a top heel, so time will tell.
- Fan Nickname: They were nicknamed 'the Funkettes' before Funkadactyls became their official name.
- Fan Service Pack: Their outfits became gradually more sexy over the course of the year 2012.
- Naomi herself too. Her NXT ring gear resembled workout clothes that were more modest than the other Divas. Her Funkadactyl gear is a lot skimpier.
- Finishing Move: Naomi has the Rear View as well as a split-legged moonsault. She had previously used a leg lariat and occasionally a springboard crossbody. Cameron's is a DDT called Girl Bye.
- Genki Girl: Cameron.
- Good Is Not Nice: Cameron as a face. See Bitch in Sheep's Clothing above. She is however very loyal to Naomi and her Total Divas cast mates.
- Hairstyle Malfunction: Cameron wore a blonde wig in FCW and in one of her matches it got ripped off - embarrassing her.
- I Have the High Ground: Naomi, definitely.
- It's All About Me: Cameron displayed this attitude in spades on the June 23, 2014 episode of RAW. She was supposed to be doing commentary on Naomi's match with Alicia Fox, but monopolized the conversation in favour of talking about herself and trying to rile up fellow guest-commentator Paige. The result was that no one else got a word in edge-wise and the match became more about Cameron than the actual wrestlers participating, especially because the camera kept cutting to the commentators's table to catch Cameron being awful. When she got called out on her self-centeredness by the other commentators, she flat-out said that, of course, it is all about her.
- Kaleidoscope Hair: On NXT season 3, Naomi had different coloured streaks in her hair every week.
- Lovely Angels
- Parts Unknown: They are announced from Planet Funk. This is a stay over from their time with Brodus Clay, who was billed from there.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Cameron is red, Naomi is blue.
- Ricky Morton: Cameron usually played this role when they first started wrestling. Interesting because Cameron is greener than Naomi and the lesser experienced wrestler often is kept to the hot-tag - this is probably due to WWE wanting to promote Naomi as the star of the team. Nowadays either one could play Ricky Morton in a tag match.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: They refer to the other as "my girl". On Total Divas we also see Naomi affectionately saying "hey baby girl" whenever she greets Cameron. Another episode deals with them having a potential 'break-up'.
- The Runner Up Takes It All: Taken to an absurd degree with Cameron, who was the first contestant eliminated from Tough Enough and ended up as the only remaining cast member in the company (three others were signed).
- Second Place Is for Losers: Ironically Naomi placed second on NXT Season 3 and was the last of the contestants to eventually debut on TVnote .
- Sassy Black Woman: Both of them, though Naomi a little more.
- She-Fu: Naomi since she is a former dancer. There's a lot of flips, rolls and pretty athleticism in her matches. Cameron not as much since she's not a dancer, but she still does the splits in a few of her moves.
- Stripperiffic: Used as a plot point in Total Divas where Cameron tries to get Hotter and Sexier ring gear for them. She doesn't get Naomi's measurements and Naomi's crotch ends up on full display. She also gives a speech about how she always has to worry about her breasts and ass popping out in her matches.
- Tag Team: Initially Naomi was only promoted as a wrestler (due to having more experience) but they were pushed as a tag team pretty quickly.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: A variation. Naomi is more about the athleticism and actual wrestling while Cameron is more about character and glamour. Total Divas explores this.
- Took a Level in Badass: Gradually went from being just valets to full time wrestlers.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: Well Naomi probably doesn't need to do so many flips, but, hey, Rule of Cool.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: Cameron gets into a non-verbal version (over-the-top cheering, climbing up on the post, and dancing around) after Naomi beat Paige on 6/17's Main Event... when Cameron herself hadn't even taken part in the fight. She goes too far when she shoves Paige when the latter was trying to congratulate Naomi, earning her a well-deserved beatdown. Naomi, visibly put-off by her team-mate's attitude, didn't bother to intervene and in fact quickly slapped Paige some skin when Paige tried again to shake her hand after the fact. Cameron was very unhappy with Naomi afterward, teasing a possible split-up of the Funkadactyls.
- Unusual Euphemism: Naomi has pet names for her body parts. Her crotch is her 'cookie' and her breasts are her 'potatoes'. When she and Jimmy Uso were caught in the act on Total Divas, cue plenty of "hand in the cookie jar" jokes online.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: Cameron suffered one at WrestleMania 30 where her top came undone.
- Worthy Opponent: Paige acknowledged Naomi as such with a respectful handshake after the latter defeated her. Cameron? Not so much.
- Xenafication: After a whole year of being just a dancer to Brodus, Naomi suddenly won a #1 contender's battle royal and got a shot at the Divas' Championship.