Western Animation / The Impossibles
Produced by Hanna-Barbera
in 1966, the same year as Space Ghost
(Coil Man, Fluid Man and Multi Man) were the secret identities of a trio of otherwise unnamed rock guitarists. Who took the fight right to evil.
While they had the back half of the title, they themselves had two segments per show while their co-star Frankenstein Jr.
only had one.Frankenstein Jr. and the Impossibles
was one of the last H-B series animated in the classic Ed Benedict style.
This series provides examples of:
- Animal-Themed Superbeing: The Burrower (Mole), The Spinner (Spider), The Anxious Angler (Fish)
- Animated Series: Don't they look animated to you?
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Coil Man, Fluid Man, and Multi Man respectively.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": Coil Man sports a "C" on his chest, Fluid Man sports an "F" on his chest, and Multi Man sports an "M" on his outfit (as well as his shield).
- Captain Ersatz: Hanna-Barbera attempted to develop a cartoon of the Beach Boys, in light of the success of ABC's cartoon of the Beatles. The Impossibles may have been created when the Beach Boys project fell through.
- Catch Phrase: "Rally ho!" for the Impossibles.
- Elemental Shapeshifter: In The Impossibles, Fluid Man could change into regular water or vaporize himself into a cloud or a storm.
- Goggles Do Nothing: Fluid Man wears a diving mask, but they don't seem to have any use, considering that in the episode "The Sinister Speck", when the titular villian shrinks down to speck size and flies into our hero's eyes, Fluid Man's goggles did not block the Sinister Speck's path.
- Power Trio: That's our boys.
- The Professor: The Impossibles have helped a few over their adventures.
- On a villain version, the wretched Professor Stretch.
- Rogues Gallery: Paper Doll Man, The Spinner, Professor Stretch, The Artful Archer, The Anxious Angler, Dr Futuro, etc.
- Shoe Phone: The Impossibles receive their assignments from their chief via TV screen inside a guitar neck.
- Squashed Flat: It happens at least once to Coil Man.
- Super Hero: It's what they do.
- Three Shorts: The Impossibles had two shorts per episode with a Frankenstein Jr. short between them.
- We Do the Impossible: As many villains have said, "those Impossibles are impossible!"