Snagglepuss is a Hanna-Barbera cartoon character created in 1959 and voiced by Daws Butler. He originally appeared in episodes of The Quick Draw McGraw Show and became a The Yogi Bear Show. Snagglepuss lives in a cavern which he tries to make more habitable for himself. No matter what he does, he always winds up back where he started or worse off than before. Snagglepuss is chased in some episodes by the tiny hunter Major Minor.
- Bowties Are Cool: He wears a form of neckwear, even!
- Catch Phrase: Three signature ones:
- Before dashing off, "Exit, stage left!" or “stage right.”
- He typically appends the adverbial "...even" focus particle to synonyms, or sentences in general.
- And most famously, "Heavens to Murgatroyd!"
- Circuit Judge: In "Legal Eagle Lion", a criminal is waiting for a trial and his henchmen are making sure no judge will arrive to preside over it so he'll eventually have to be released. The last judge to be denied entry in town makes Snagglepuss take over his role.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Before he got his own cartoons, he was orange with no collar or cuffs. He also appeared as the brown "Snaggletooth" in an Augie Doggie cartoon, "The Party Lion". Confusion arises because in his first appearance, The Quick Draw McGraw Show episode "Lamb Chopped", he was called Snagglepuss, but referred to an unseen Snaggletooth as his brother. Snaggletooth would later show up in a Snagglepuss cartoon where he is pink like Snagglepuss. So perhaps Augie met the actual Snaggletooth.
- Expy: His voice is reminiscent of the more soft-spoken aspect of Bert Lahr's broad-ranging characterizations, specifically the Cowardly Lion.
- Heel–Face Turn: Before he got his own series of cartoons, Snagglepuss was an antagonist.
- I Warned You: When the Major tried to make Snagglepuss clear out of his cave so a railway could go through, Snagglepuss constantly tried to tell him there was a reason one couldn't go through apart from the cave being his home. It's only too late that the Major finds outs Snagglepuss was trying to tell him there was no place for tracks beyond his cave.
- Kangaroo Court: Snagglepuss presides over one and plays nearly every role in it in the short "Legal Eagle Lion"
- Leaving Audience: One cartoon had the character attempting to do Shakespeare in front of an audience of the Major's fellow adventurers at their club, but the audience left. This lets Snagglepuss escape.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Snagglepuss' voice was based on Bert Lahr, who played the Cowardly Lion in The Wizard of Oz.
- Noodle Incident: Whenever the Major and Snagglepuss meet, Major is always surprised to see him, citing some random previous encounter in some random place, presumably because he thought he killed him.Major: Didn't I shoot you in the veldt?
Snagglepuss: I beg to differentiate, it was below the veldt! I couldn't sit down for a week.
- Off Like a Shot: He provided the page image.
- Playing Cyrano: Snagglepuss does this in one short to woo a lady for a noble. It backfires as the lady he wanted moved and Snagglepuss has wasted all his time romancing the wrong lady.
- Ring Around the Collar
- Three Shorts: Traditionally the second for The Yogi Bear Show.
- Twin Switch: Happens to Lila in one short in which she thinks Snagglepuss and his brother Snaggletooth are the same person.
- Also happens in "Twice Shy" where Snagglepuss himself gets confused between wildlife hunter Major Minor and his twin brother, wildlife photogapher Sir Clyde.