First appearing in several episodes of The Quick Draw McGraw Show
and becoming a regular on The Yogi Bear Show
, Snagglepuss is a Hanna-Barbera
cartoon character created in 1959, voiced by Daws Butler
Snagglepuss lives in a cavern which he constantly tries to make more habitable for himself. No matter what he does, he always winds up back where he started or worse off than before.
In some episodes, Snagglepuss is chased by the tiny hunter Major Minor
, whose chases seem similar to the ones which involve Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In his earlier appearances, he was orange instead of pink, wore no collar or cuffs and was occasionally called “Snaggletooth."
- Catch Phrase: Three signature ones:
** Before dashing off, "Exit, stage left!" or “stage right.”
** He typically appends the adverbial "... even" focus particle to synonyms, or sentences in general.
** And most famously, "Heavens to Murgatroyd!"
- Early-Installment Weirdness: Before he got his own cartoons, he was orange with no collar or cuffs and went by the name of Snaggletooth (though confusion arises because his first appearance, The Quick Draw McGraw Show episode "Lamb Chopped", he was called Snagglepuss, but referred to an unseen Snaggletooth as his brother).
- Expy: His voice is reminiscent of the more soft-spoken aspect of Bert Lahr's broad-ranging characterizations, specifically the Cowardly Lion.
- I Warned You: When the Major tried to make Snagglepuss clear out of his cave so a railway could go through, Snagglepuss constantly tried to tell him there was a reason one couldn't go through apart from the cave being his home. It's only too late that Major learns that Snagglepuss was trying to tell him that there's no place for tracks beyond his cave.
- Leaving Audience: One cartoon had the character attempting to do Shakespeare in front of an audience of the Major's fellow adventurers at their club, but the audience left. This lets Snagglepuss escape.
- Ring Around the Collar