Western Animation: Yogi's Space Race
Yogi's Space Race
was a Saturday Morning Cartoon
produced in 1978 by Hanna-Barbera
. It was essentially an update of the same studio's Wacky Races
, with Yogi Bear
, Huckleberry Hound and Jabberjaw
among the competitors.
The show had three supporting segments: Galaxy Goof-Ups
, The Buford Files
and The Galloping Ghost
. The latter two were later combined into one half-hour show
This cartoon provides examples of:
- Alliterative Name: Phantom Phink, Nugget Nose.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Phantom Phink won most of the races, either as himself or as Captain Good.
- Batman Can Breathe in Space: So can women, bears, dogs, ducks and even sharks.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: One episode featured a joke about "No gambling on Saturday morning."
- The Cameo: Quick-Draw McGraw and Jana of the Jungle have made appearances.
- Cassandra Truth: In one episode, the space race's official computer revealed that Captain Good and Phantom Phink are one and the same, but nobody believed. At least Good/Phink had to rescue the others to protect the masquerade.
- Clark Kenting: Granted, "Captain Good" and "Phantom Phink" couldn't look more different unless they had different genders but, the two of them officially enter the same races and nobody finds it odd they're never seen together even when the races were about to begin. Well, they do find it odd but not enough to suspect they're one and the same.
- Disney Acid Sequence: The infamous disco freak-out numbers in Galaxy Goof-Ups.
- Epic Race: . . . In Space!
- Identical Grandson: Aside from the case mentioned below, Captain Good was once said to have had an ancestor named Sir Good during the Middle Ages. Sir Good even had a cat who looked like Captain Good's cat.
- Identity Impersonator: Somehow, Captain Good/Phantom Phink never needed one to preserve the masquerade.
- In the Blood: Phantom Phink was described in a Space Race Biography as a descendant of Dr. Jekyll. The narrator said it explains about Phink being a bad guy. (And that's because he doesn't know [or knows but refuses to believe] that Captain Good and Phantom Phink are one and the same.)
- Jekyll & Hyde: Captain Good and Phantom Phink. A Space Race biography even described Phantom Phink as Jekyll's descendant. With "Dr. Jekyll" looking like "Captain Good" and "Mr. Hyde" looking like "Phantom Phink".
- Peacock Girl: The lead singer/dancer in the aforementioned disco sequences.
- Phantom Phink Stops to Cheat
- Recycled In Space: Literally so.
- Shout-Out: In one race, Sludge stole Rita's glasses by stretching his front leg the way Dynomutt does.
- Undesirable Prize: All of them. Every single prize offered to whoever wins the episode's race has some highly unpleasant catch to it. For example, one episode's prize is a trip on a luxury transport plane called the Zoncorde. At the end of the episode, Huckleberry Hound is shown clinging to the wing of the Zoncorde, saying to Quack-Up, "Maybe next time we can ride in the Zoncorde."
- Unreliable Narrator: One episode's Space Race Biography portrayed an ancestor of "Captain Good" and another showed an ancestor of "Phantom Phink".
- Villain with Good Publicity: Captain Good.
- Wacky Racing: IN SPACE!
- Wolverine Publicity: The cartoon isn't so focused on Yogi Bear as the title suggested.