"Some guys do show their affection by teasing..."
When someone bullies someone else because they like them. This is usually because they aren't sure how to convey their feelings properly. Often the bully is a Type A Tsundere
. The target of the bullying will often be under the impression that the bully is simply a jerk and clueless of the bully's intentions
This is generally Played for Laughs
and will not normally get into serious violence unless the target is Made of Iron
. Romanticized Abuse
is the less innocent Sister Trope
, and Bastard Boyfriend
is the Darker and Edgier
one. Domestic Abuser
is when it becomes very Dude, Not Funny!
Anime & Manga
- By the end of Hot Fuzz, the Andys have graduated from standard JerkAsses to this trope, where Angel's concerned.
- In Welcome To The Dollhouse, Brandon likes Dawn and he treats her terribly.
- In Le Placard, Felix Santini always picked on the protagonist Francois Pignon. When Pignon is about to get fired, his new neighbour advises him to let the firm "accidentally" think he is gay, so he could use discrimination charges to secure his position. Santini grudgingly starts befriending him not to appear homophobic, but goes overboard quickly, practically starts courting him, and becomes so obsessed it costs his marriage. Pignon's lack of interest visibly upsets him. After his divorce, he asks Pignon to be his housemate for practical reasons, but when Pignon refuses, he starts such an Unstoppable Rage he has to be restrained and sent to a hospital.
- The Dick Van Dyke Show: There's a girl in Richie's class who bullies him because she likes him.
- Karofsky of Glee towards Kurt. He even gives him a Forceful Kiss in the episode "Never Been Kissed".
- On Malcolm in the Middle Reese tries this with a girl in school that he has a crush on, and then doesn't understand why she hates him as a result and cries in his room after things go badly. Malcolm then tries to help by telling him to do things to her that wouldn't make her cry, so he joins her cheerleading squad. It's far from the only time Reese has ever done this, since bullying is his go-to approach for everything.
- In Good Luck Charlie, Jo Keener bullied Gabe because she liked him.
- iCarly: Sam to Freddie.
- In a rare case of this being the case of both parties, Vince and Howard are hinted to be this to each other in The Mighty Boosh.
- Calvin and Hobbes: Calvin does this to Susie from time to time. Hobbes calls him on it but Calvin claims he really does hate her.
- Linus in Peanuts once told Charlie Brown about meeting a cute girl once. He claimed that he was so nervous around her that he couldn't think of anything to say. . . so he opted to hit her instead.
- A quest on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim involves scarring off a girl who's beating up a boy. When you go talk to her you discover that "If he just kissed me, I wouldn't beat him up."
- Kidou in the visual novel School Festival.
- Not a romantic example, but in Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Sebastian states that Lili's bizarre obsession with tormenting Asuka is a "show of affection" on her part.